The Ties That Bind Us by Wilde Phyre

"What are you talking about Legolas?" Gimili demanded, staring at the elf. "It is a way to save Aragorn, and keep him alive, at least until we reach Rivendell, where Lord Elrond can fully heal him" Legolas said, not looking at the dwarf. "So why do we not use this method?" Gimili asked, turning towards Gandalf. "This 'method' you speak of involves binding Legolas' soul to Aragorn. Legolas will share the poison currently coursing through Aragorn's veins. If Legolas' healing powers are not strong enough, then they will succumb to the poison and both will die. Even if Aragorn and Legolas can make it safely to Rivendell and Lord Elrond is able to rid them of the poison, Legolas will never be able to separate himself from Aragorn. Legolas cannot live without his soul. When Aragorn leaves him to marry Lady Arwen, Legolas will die. This so called 'solution' will not have a happy ending" Gandalf replied.

"I will do this with or without your help Gandalf" Legolas said evenly. "Aragorn must not die."

"You must calm down Master Elf!" Gimili interrupted. "We must think this through carefully, we need to discuss - " "We do not have time!" Legolas snapped, his eyes blazing. Turning back towards Gandalf, he once again said "with or without your help"

Gandalf stared back at the elf, holding his glaze in silence, then, after what seemed to be an eternity, he said, "Very well Master Elf, as you wish" with a defeated sigh. "But surely Gandalf, you cannot allow Legolas to attempt such a dangerous thing! It is suicide!!" Gimili roared.

" 'With or without your help' he said. As you can see Master Dwarf, his mind is made up. I would rather lend him all my knowledge and help him through the ritual than to leave him to his own devices" Gandalf replied.

Cursing the stubbornness of elves, Gimili nonetheless saw the glint of determination in Legolas' eyes. With a final curse, he said wearily "You speak the truth Gandalf. Very well then, what may I do to assist?" "Go with …owyn and fetch my bag along with three white candles, a large jar of sea salt and a small silver dish. Bring back some reliable soldiers to guard the entrance to the chamber. It is important that we must not be disturbed during the casting" said Gandalf.




After the door had been barred against all possible intruders, Gandalf set to work, by first carefully instructing each of the others the role they were expected to play during the casting of the spell, and then, using the jar of salt, he cast a magickal circle of protection around the gigantic bed.

While …owyn and Gimili helped Legolas and the unconscious ranger prepare for the ritual, Gandalf anointed the three candles with the oil of mandrake he had in his bag. Mandrake being the most powerful herb of all, Gandalf hoped it would lend it's power to the long forgotten spell. Legolas seated himself cross-legged beside the prone figure of Aragorn, and placed a bejeweled blade in front of him. This was to act as his athalme. The small silver dish was also placed in front of him. The ancient ritual was ready to begin.

Gandalf, …owyn and Gimili each took one of the anointed candles and moved to position themselves around the outside of the circle so that the three of them formed a triangle, then, one by one, they lit up their candles. The smell of mandrake permeated the room as the candles burned.

Legolas picked up the blade and used it to cut a lock of hair from both himself and Aragorn, then, using his nimble elvish fingers, he tied the two locks together so that they formed a figure of eight knot, symbolising an indissoluble union. This was placed into the silver dish. Picking the blade again, Legolas first made a cut along Aragorns' arm, he then carved the rune 'Gyfu' into his right palm. Clasping Aragorn's arm with his injured hand, Legolas allowed their blood to mingle, then drip slowly into dish, covering the their fine locks. Gyfu, in the shape of an 'X', was the rune of generosity, of gifts and love, of sacrifice.

The three standing around the outside of the circle slowly moved in and using their candles, set fire to the talisman, before moving back to their original places. Legolas began to chant the lines of the spell.

"Oh Elbereth! I invoke thee!
With my hair representing my soul,
My blood, my heart;
Bind me to him!
Entwine our souls, unite our hearts,
Bind me to him!
By the power of three;
Bind me to him!"

As Legolas finished, a bright light suddenly shot forth from within his body, and his face contorted in pain. "What is wrong?" Gimili asked in alarm, moving to help the elf, but Gandalf stopped him. "Do not move from where you stand!" he said sharply, "The spell is binding him to Aragorn, ripping his soul away from him"

"It's killing him!!" …owyn exclaimed as Legolas suddenly arched his back and let out an agonised scream, before slumping over. The candles extinguished themselves. Gimili, Gandalf and …owyn rushed into the circle to examine the prone figures lying on the bed.

Aragorn, it seemed, was already starting to get warmth back into his body. Legolas opened his eyes. A blinding pain was jabbing insistently in his head, and for the first time in almost three thousand years, felt a chill creeping through his body, marking the path of the poison. "How is he?" Legolas croaked, turning towards the ranger, noticing that the bleeding had stopped and that colour was slowly returning.

Satisfied that his Estel was well, Legolas closed his eyes, allowing …owyn to bandage his palm. The darkness was returning, but Legolas refused to give in. From a great distance, he heard …owyn say almost apologetically to him

"I'm afraid it's going to scar".

"It will stay there as a constant reminder of his sacrifice, to both himself and Aragorn." replied Gandalf. Legolas forced his parched lips to move and form words. He heard himself whisper "Please, I beg of you, do not tell Estel. He mustn't know". Exhausted, the elf slid silently into the darkness.