The Ties That Bind Us by Wilde Phyre

Legolas slowly made his way down to breakfast, having bathed and changed into a long sleeve shirt to both hide the minute cuts covering his arms and to ward off the chills that were now frequently invading his elven body.

He was worried about the dull pain which he felt in his heart, and feared that the poison was slowly consuming the very organ that was pumping the venom around his body, but he did not show it. His face was a blank, expressionless mask as he slipped into the large dining room.

Aragorn stood up painfully to greet his friend. He had heard from Gandalf that Legolas had been poisoned by an orc arrow last night whilst trying to carry him to safety. Although Gandalf told him that the venom Legolas had been poisoned with was not life threatening as yet, Aragorn was anxious to personally make sure that his friend was alright. "Are you well Legolas?" he asked as the elf approached him. Legolas plastered a smile onto his face and said "I am fine my friend, 'tis you that we were worried about. Are you able to start our journey towards Rivendell today?"

Aragorn nodded. " Thank you Legolas. Thank you for carrying me back to the fortress. It is because of you that I am able to return to Rivendell, return to my lady's side." Hearing these words, Legolas felt a sudden, sharp jabbing pain in his heart and he gasped, hands clutching at his chest. Aragorn was immediately alarmed. "Legolas!" he exclaimed, reaching to support him.

The man's touch seemed to soothe the pain. Legolas stood there, breathing heavily as the pain gradually subsided, until it finally disappeared. Breaking off the contact, Legolas gazed into the ranger's concerned eyes. He noticed that the dull ache had returned as soon as his contact with the human had been broken. "I must speak to Gandalf" Legolas said, before running out of the room, leaving a bewildered Aragorn to stare after him.

His injury is more serious than Gandalf had let on thought the ranger. His skin was cold to the touch and he was shivering. The venom must be potent "Oh Elbereth!" he prayed, closing his eyes as guilt washed over him. "Please do not allow Legolas to die!! I know how much he feels for me, but I cannot help him. Arwen has pledged her immortality to me and I cannot give her up. I refuse to give her up. Please guide him Elbereth, and bring him someone who is more suited for him. Show him someone who can truly love him, and not just as his friend. Legolas deserved so much more than what I can give him."




"Gandalf" Legolas said uncertainly when he found the white wizard in the stables, getting the horses ready for the long journey ahead. "Is something the matter Master Elf?" Gandalf asked, glancing at the pale, withdrawn figure standing in front of him. "I......I don't think that my healing ability is able to sustain the both of us. The poison is attacking my heart. I feel a dull ache in my chest as we speak, and just then, as I was talking to Aragorn, I felt it suddenly seize up, as if and iron hand had clasped and squeezed it as hard as it could."

Gandalf frowned slightly at this, then asked" Did Lady Arwen come up in the conversation before the pain?" Legolas nodded.

"Aragorn was thanking me for returning him to his lady. When the pain started, he held unto my arm to support me."

"Did the pain stop after he held onto your arm?" asked Gandalf. Legolas remained silent for a while, and then quietly said "Yes. Even the dull ache I mentioned to you before faded whilst he was touching me, but it returned as he broke contact." Gandalf nodded gravely.

"It is not the poison that is causing the pain Legolas, it is the binding. The dull ache is caused by your body, longing to be reunited with your soul. It can be eased only by having direct contact with Aragorn. This is what I had meant when I said last night that you would never be able to separate yourself from Aragorn. The pain will build up in intensity until it becomes agony. His touch is the only thing that will make it stop. The sudden, jabbing pain that you had felt was your body rebelling. This will happen when Aragorn thinks or has contact with another in front of you, it is your body getting jealous if you like. It is similar to elven grief in that when Aragorn marries Arwen, the bond that is between your body and soul will be severed and you will die. The only way to free yourself from this binding is if Aragorn willingly returns your love. Before then Legolas, without your soul, you will die if you leave Aragorn's side for too long."

Legolas nodded with a sigh "I understand Gandalf. Thank you for being truthful with" he said, turning away.

"When are you going to tell him?" the wizard asked. Legolas shook his head "He will not know" he said.

"You will die Legolas!!" Gandalf exclaimed "Do you not understand that?......have I not made my self clear?......Aragorn will marry Arwen......and you will die!!!"

"I understand Gandalf, and I know you are worried about me, but I cannot allow Aragorn to feel that he is indebted to me. Binding my soul to him in order to save him was my decision. I wish for him to be free to choose the one he truly loves......without having to feel a sense of duty to me. I don't want my decisions to affect his life." the elf replied.

"Do you not think that Aragorn has the right to know? Does he not deserve to be given the chance to make the right decision?" Gandalf asked. "The right decision is for Aragorn to remain with the one he loves, the fair Evenstar. The right decision is for him to marry Arwen, to have heirs for the throne of Gondor. That is the right decision Gandalf, you know that as well as I do" Legolas replied bitterly.

"What about Gimili? I am sure that the Master Dwarf will not willingly watch you die Legolas. He has a mind of his own. He may not agree with your foolish decision" said Gandalf.

"Foolish or not, the decision is still mine to make. I am sure that you can help that stubborn dwarf to see reason Gandalf. You seem to be the only one in the Fellowship whose advice he'll take."

"I could tell Aragorn myself Legolas, with or without your permission you know." Gandalf said wearily, looking into the blue elven eyes.

"But you won't" Legolas smiled sadly, walking away.