The Ties That Bind Us by Wilde Phyre

The beautiful, pristine paradise they called Rivendell lay just ahead of the quartet, within view. Whilst the sight cheered everyone around him, Legolas' heart was filled sorrow, knowing that he had finally come to the end of his journey, knowing that when Aragorn and the others set off again, he would not be with them.

Thus preoccupied with his thoughts, Legolas did not notice the presence of the hidden orcs until it was almost too late. The orcs had concealed themselves well amongst the trees, silently waiting to ambush the unsuspecting travelers. Legolas heard the distinct sound of the drawing of a bow before he saw it. The orc had aimed it at Aragorn, the foul arrow poised, ready to rip into his flesh. Without pausing to think, Legolas launched himself at Aragorn, knocking the confused man down unto the ground. Aragorn heard the sharp "twang" of the release milliseconds before he felt himself flying through the air with Legolas on top of him. He felt a jerk through the elf's fragile body as the arrow found its mark. The cruel tip imbedded itself in Legolas' chest, piercing his lung. Fresh blood bubbled forth from the new wound, staining his green tunic a rusty red.

Aragorn roared in anger as the orcs descended upon them. While Gimili deflected the attacks, Aragorn gently manoeuvred the injured elf off him, and then, picking up his sword; Aragorn stood guard over him, furiously slashing away at anything that dared to go near them. Gimili swung his axe right and left, cutting down orcs with each powerful blow. Though the small company was outnumbered, the orcs were no match against Aragorns' blind fury, nor Gandalfs' determination and Gimilis' powerful axe. Very soon, the last of the cursed beings was violently slayed.

Aragorn quickly dropped onto one knee, bending over to assess the rapidly deteriorating condition of his friend. Legolas' breathing was laboured, and blood was slowly trickling down the corner of his pale lips. "How bad is it?" Gimili asked anxiously, peering down upon the prone figure before him. "The arrow has pieced his lung. His blood is slowly filling the organ, collapsing it. We must get him to Rivendell before he drowns in his own blood." Aragorn replied grimly, breaking off the shaft of the arrow and using a piece of rag, torn from his tunic as a makeshift bandage, to steam the quick flow of blood. He is dying he thought numbly.




"How could you have been so ill-advised as to help him do such a dangerous thing?" Elrond asked quietly, a worried frown upon his face as he gently tightened the thick, white bandage covering Legolas' chest. "The foolish prince gave me no choice" Gandalf replied with a weary sigh, "I could not allow him to attempt the ritual by himself."

The small company had arrived at Rivendell two days before, with Legolas on the verge of death. Lord Elrond had done everything within his ability to save the elf, but Legolas had yet to awaken. Elrond had been furious with Gandalf when he had discovered that it was he who had helped Legolas with the binding, but over the course of the past two days, Elrond had come upon a quiet acceptance of the situation.

"Estel needs to be told, Gandalf. He needs to be given the chance to decide to do what is right."

"What is right? Your daughter Arwen has first claim of Aragorn. She too has willingly sacrificed herself for him. Do you not care that she may be hurt by Aragorns' decision?" Gandalf asked gently.

"Arwen is my flesh and blood, the pain that she feels is my own. Naturally, I wish for her to be happy, but it is not what she or I want that is important. Arwen has already lost her immortality because of Estel. One day, she will die. Legolas however, can be saved. There is no need for both of them to pass over into the halls of Mandos." Elrond replied, sighing heavily. "I agree with you Lord Elrond, but the decision to inform Aragorn of the binding remains with Legolas Greenleaf alone. It is not a decision for you or I to make. Lady Arwen, however, may informed as the result would undoubtedly affect her severely."

"I will tell her myself" Elrond said, nodding in agreement.




"He is like a brother to me, Arwen" Aragorn whispered softly as he lay in the female elf's' gentle embrace. "After all that we have been through together, I cannot believe that I am losing him now. I have never thought about being separated from him because I had always assumed that I would the first to go. I assumed that I would be the one who would leave, not the one left behind. I - "

"Shhhhh............" Arwen whispered, placing her finger gently on his lips to silence him. "Legolas is strong, and he has a lot to live for. An arrow and some simple poison is not enough to kill our Mirkwood prince. My father will do everything within his power to save him."

"But why will he not allow me see him?" Aragorn asked, "I need to be there with him."

"There is nothing more that you can do for him Aragorn. You need to place your trust in my father. He will not allow Legolas to die." Arwen said, stroking Aragorn's hair. Exhausted by the turmoil of the past few days, Aragorn slowly closed his eyes, comforted by Arwen's words and he sank into a dreamless sleep.

For Arwen, however, sleep did not come so easily. She had felt a subtle, shifting change occurring within Aragorn ever since he had come back unexpectedly to Rivendell, and this made her very uneasy. It annoyed her that Aragorn could not stop thinking about the wretched prince, even as he lay within her arms. I know you want him Legolas, but he is mine. I have given him my immortality, and for that, Aragorn will be forever bound to me. I am willing to do whatever it takes to make sure it stays that way. I will not relinquish my hold upon him. You cannot win Legolas.