The Ties That Bind Us by Wilde Phyre

The company of four had been travelling for nearly eighteen days, and all were weary. The air temperature had dropped dramatically as the Misty Mountains loomed ahead. Legolas sat atop of Arod, with Gimili behind him, swathed in a thick fur cloak made of warg skins, a gift from King Théoden himself.

His wound was not healing properly and the chill was ever present, but despite all this, Legolas was happier than he'd ever been in a very long time. Aragorn was there beside him, noticing his every move, aware of his existence. Although this wasn't quite what Legolas had hoped for, he was content just to be able to see Aragorn's face first thing every morning, and last thing before closing his eyes each night.

Legolas had made peace with a lot of things during the last eighteen days, and he accepted the fate that was about to befall him. Gimili had been furious when he had found out about the stubborn elf's decision, but he knew, just as he had known when the issue of the binding had first came up, that Legolas' mind was set, and nothing could dissuade him.

The sun had sunken low in the sky when they reached the base of the mountains. "We rest here tonight" Gandalf said, dismounting from his horse. The others quickly followed suite and began unloading their supplies, settling in for night. Legolas and Gimili went off together through the trees, in search of game, leaving Gandalf and Aragorn to gather kindling for the fire.

"What is wrong with Legolas, Gandalf?" the ranger asked, looking at the wizard, demanding a truthful answer. "It's been twenty days since he has been injured, and yet his wounds have not healed. The poison should not have affected his healing abilities this much. Even my own wounds have almost healed, although I suffer from the same venom. Tell me the truth Gandalf, what is ailing Legolas?"

The wizard held the man's gaze for a long while, trying to the best way to tell Aragorn, without giving away any of the Elf's secret. "If I told you that Legolas was dying, but that there is a way to save him, what would you do?"

"I would ask you for the cure, and then go to the ends of the earth to obtain it, if it is necessary." Aragorn replied immediately.

"And what if I told you that to obtain the cure, you must leave Lady Arwen, never to marry her, would you still be as eager?"

Gandalf asked intently. Aragorn stayed silent, unsure of how to answer, his heart telling him 'yes', whilst his conscious said 'no'. Gandalf took his hesitation to mean no and angrily said

"Then there is nothing more to discuss".

Before Aragorn could reply to this, Gimili returned nosily, proudly showing off the two jackrabbits, which he had caught. Legolas followed close behind, holding four wild apples, which he had gathered for dessert. Gandalf turned away without a word and set to work, helping the dwarf to skin the rabbits.

Throughout dinner, Aragorn kept a watchful eye on Legolas, looking for signs, indications to confirm Gandalf's words, but he found none. This gave Aragorn very little comfort, and he found himself wondering what his choice would be, if forced to choose between his beloved and his brother. In honest truth, the ranger knew that he no longer regarded Legolas as a simple friend, but he refused to think about what the alternative might be. Arwen was giving up her immortality to be with him, and Aragorn felt that he owed it to her to at least remain faithful. Making up is mind, Aragorn crawled beneath his thick blankets and fell into an uneasy sleep, filled with dreams of the dying elf.




Aragorn woke up in the middle of the night, shivering with cold. The fire had been reduced to glowing embers, giving off very little heat. Adding the last of the dry kindling to the fire, Aragorn was startled to realise that Legolas' bed was empty, and the elf was gone. Knowing that he could not have travelled far in his weakened condition, Aragorn quietly began to search the surrounding woods, trying to his friend. He heard faint coughing coming from his left, so he followed the sound, careful not to make a noise.

Coming to a clearing, Aragorn felt his breathe catch in his throat as he saw the lone figure sitting on a large rock, a serene glow emanating from him. Aragorn stayed in the shadows, curious to see what Legolas was doing up so late. He was surprised when the elf began to sing, the hauntingly beautiful voice ringing clearing through the moonless night.


"Look deep into my eyes,
and tell me what you see.
Can you see the love,
I hold for you inside of me?
I sit here alone,
on this dark, moonless night,
watching you sleep,
dreaming of your fair lady,
and I find myself thinking,
will there ever be room in your heart for me?
The stars twinkling in the heavens mock
At my foolishness, but I do not care.
You are here with me
and I am content.
You are my hope, and in your hands
You hold my immortality.
Are you willing to return it to me?
Or will I die, fading away softly,
Just as stars do at the approach
of dawn."


Tremors suddenly shook the elf's slight frame, and Aragorn was shocked to realise that Legolas was crying. Stepping out of his hiding place, Aragorn slowly walked up him, and wrapped his arms around the trembling elf, letting Legolas sob onto his shoulder, whispering meaningless words of comfort.




After what seemed to be an eternity, Legolas finally let go of the man, and the two of them silently made their way back to camp, not a single word passing between them. Legolas settled himself under his blankets still trembling, but this time with cold. Just as he were about to fall asleep, he heard Aragorn's voice whisper to him softly, "Come and share my blankets Legolas, you will be warmer." Shocked, the elf sat up and stared at the ranger, unsure of what to make of it.

Sighing, Aragorn picked up his pillow and blankets, moving them next to the startled Legolas. Lying down, Aragorn crawled in under Legolas' blankets and placed his own on top of the both of them. "It'll be a lot warmer now for the both us." he said, closing his eyes. Legolas lay down next to him, savouring the warmth radiating from the body beside him. He snuggled up closer to his friend, thanking Elbereth for granting his wish. Legolas knew that come tomorrow, things would return to normal, and that Aragorn would once again be eager to return to his Lady, but for now, Aragorn was his.