Temptation Waits by Faeglin Sindar

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Legolas paused in a small clearing, listening to the night creatures calling and the whisper of the breeze passing through the trees.

He had walked deep into the woods to escape the confines of his father's halls and gain a few moments alone. Now he was satisfied he was far from the well travelled paths. He spread his cloak on the ground and settled cross-legged in the centre.

He shucked off his quiver, bow and scabbards, setting the weapons close at hand through ingrained warrior's habit. Then he unfastened his bracers and unbuckled his belt, setting them down with shaking hands. He began to unfasten the ties on his fine grained green suede tunic. Finally freeing himself, he folded it carefully and laid it on his cloak.

Pausing, Legolas shut his eyes and slowly mastered his ragged breathing. Once more in control, he pulled his shirt free of his leggings and over his head. This garment too was carefully folded and placed by the tunic.

Reaching for his knives, he tested the blades against his thumbs. "Still sharp," he murmured with a smile.

Taking up a knife in his left hand he pressed the blade gently to the flesh of his right arm, just below the shoulder. Swallowing in anticipation, he drew the knife steadily across the skin. The taught white flesh at the knife's edge parted and a thin red line gleamed in the starlight.

He felt the cut form, felt the nerve endings cry out and stilled his voice against the flood of pain washing over his body. He closed his eyes, releasing the breath he held, concentrating on the feeling of the blood as it beaded on his skin.

Opening his eyes once more, he carefully wiped the blade clean on the back of his hand and then licked the blood up. He savoured the taste, sighing as he felt a gentle stirring in his loins.

Setting the clean blade down, he reached with his right hand for it's twin, and made a matching cut on his left shoulder. As he lost himself in the wave of pain and pleasure from the new cut, a twig snapped in the trees to his right.


In reflex, he leapt to his feet, grasping his second knife as he rose, and turned to face the gap in the trees from which the noise had come. His hair swung in an arc about him as he rose, smearing the blood on his arms.

"Show yourself!" Legolas commanded.

A figure stepped forward, clad in twilight greens and greys.

"What is your business here stranger?"

"Peace friend. For friend I am, and kinsman, though a distant one." The figure stepped out from the shadows and cast off his hood, revealing a young human male.

Legolas tensed, his embarrassment at being caught in such a private moment by a mere man winning over his manners. "What is your business in these woods, man?" This last was spat, contempt plain on the elf's face.

"Tracking orc, a small group passed this way, and I sought to find their trail to set ambush..."

"Set ambush? With one man? A foolish plan, but one more than worthy of your kind." The elf relaxed his stance a little. "What manner of fool are you, for no man of Dale goes searching for orc in these woods. There are enough perils between the lake and the mountains."

"I am one of the Dunedain, the rangers of the north." The man seemed inordinately proud of this fact, much to the elf's annoyance.

"So you are one of the rabbit catchers of the north? I hear they are mighty fierce those northern rabbits. Have they given you many scars?" The elf's mocking tone raised ne'r a twitch from the man.

"I have scars." The man took a step toward Legolas and gestured to the elf's arms, and the smears of blood his hair had left across them, "But none so pretty as the rabbits of Mirkwood have given you. Or did some other creature seek to best you this evening?"

Legolas ignored the barb. "What mean you sneaking up on me? Have you no manners in the north?"

"I did not sneak up on you. I snapped a dozen twigs as I approached the clearing, but you did not react until I was almost upon you."

Abashed at not noticing the man's approach for his blood lust, Legolas became even more annoyed. "Still, it does not do to disturb anothers'... meditation."

The slight pause almost caused the man to smirk, but he held back for another dig at the elf. "I am sorry, would you prefer I had sat nearby and waited for you to finish... meditating?"

The man was totally unprepared for the flying leap which the elf took at him. He found himself pinned to the ground with the elf's right hand pushing one knife into his throat and the other hand and knife at his thigh, threateningly close to his groin.

"How dare you mock me!" Legolas put weight behind his words, pushing the blade against the man's throat, and making a small cut. The man winced, and Legolas' rage changed to horror at his actions.

Legolas cried out, "Ai! What have I done?"

Legolas sat back and pulled his knives away from the man, "Forgive me, I should not have let me temper get the better of me. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, and I would help you in your hunt, if you will let me."

The man sat up and nodded to the elf. "You are forgiven. It was to offer you dinner and a chance to join in the ambush that I came here. However, I had hoped to be better received by you Legolas."

"How do you know my name?" The fair elf was once more suspicious of the human.

"I have not visited your fathers halls before, it was my companions who recognised you. Elladan! Elrohir!"

The elder of Elrond's twin sons stepped from the trees, and into the clearing. "Elrohir got bored, and went to catch rabbits for dinner."

A fleeting look of shock drifted across Legolas' face as he looked between the two. Addressing the human once more he asked, "You travel with the sons of Elrond?"

"Yes. He is my foster father." The man rose, and offered a hand to Legolas. "Grab your things, and come back to our camp. We can discuss the orcs and answer the other questions you seem about to ask."

With a smirk, the human turned and spoke quietly with Elladan.

Elladan spoke in a low voice to prevent Legolas overhearing. "Estel, he could be the finest archer in Middle-earth, but I really think your judgement was poor in inviting him to join us this evening. He barely has his wits about him."

Estel smirked, "He bears a striking resemblance to Glorfindel." The waggled eyebrows were enough to cause the dark haired elf to laugh out loud.

"You are a lecherous fiend Estel!" Turning, he addressed himself to the young elf, "Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Then let's see how many bunnies Elrohir has slain." Elladan said with a chuckle. He turned and led the way back to the ranger's camp, Estel bringing up the rear.




As they approached the camp their mouths began to water at the scent of roasting rabbit.

Elrohir rose up from the fire and smiled when he saw who they had brought back with them. "Welcome back brothers, and well met Legolas. It has been too long."


"Yes, it has been a few years Elrohir. I see you caught four rabbits, have you been looking in your grandmother's mirror again?" Legolas smiled and embraced Elrohir warmly.

"I was trying for six!" Elrohir laughed and they sat down next to the fire.

"Legolas, this is my brother Elrohir, the younger of Elrond's sons. Elrohir, meet Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood, Thranduil's son." Every one of Elladan's words dripped with sarcasm. "When did you two meet? Where was I? Harad?"

"Sorry brother, I had forgotten that you were not with me that time. Sit and I," Elrohir looked at Legolas and smiled, "Nay, we, shall tell you all about it."

"Please do!" Elladan was in quite a huff as he settled down opposite his brother.

An amused Estel sat between the twins, opposite Legolas. He had viewed the exchange up to now in watchful silence. "Why don't we eat first, and then you can tell us. I think it will be a long story."

"Good thinking."

Estel thought Elrohir had seemed almost relieved at his suggestion, as he had suspected he would be. They ate in companionable silence, and Estel observed that Elrohir seemed to be thinking very hard. Too hard.

They laid down their bedrolls and stretched out by the fire, Estel lighting a small pipe. Elladan spoke, "All right brother, tell me how you come to know Legolas, and I do not. We have been kept in suspense long enough."

"Very well. My tale begins with our escorting Arwen to Lothlorien some years ago, when Estel was still a babe in arms. We arrived safely, and stayed for some time. You were out one day with Haldir, on the Western edges of the wood, and you spotted a group of travellers making their way South around the wood..."

Elladan interrupted, "Yes, I recall that trip. We followed them almost all the way down the West side of the wood, sleeping in hidden flets near to their camps each night. It was just before dawn, and Haldir was satisfied that they would be clear of the woods that day. We began to make our way down from the flet, Haldir going first, and as I went to follow, the edge of the trap door gave way, and I fell. If it hadn't been for Haldir breaking some of the fall I would have broken my neck. As it was, I broke my leg."

Elrohir took up the tale again, "One of the patrols was passing and they carried you back to Calas Galadhon on a makeshift stretcher. Arwen and Galadriel fussed over you, getting in the way of the healers for the next few months while your leg healed.

Well I was not confined, and so I continued to wander in the woods. It was a few days after your fall that I met Legolas. He had just been brought over the Anduin."

Legolas broke in, "It was my habit to visit Lothlorien whenever I could. A young archer about my age had come close to beating me in competition some years before, and we were frequent visitors to each other's homes."

"So you were visiting him then?" Estel asked innocently.

"I was on my way to visit her, yes." The firelight almost hid Legolas' blushes.

Elladan cleared his throat, "So you met when Legolas stepped ashore? Then what?"

Elrohir and Legolas exchanged a look, and Legolas picked up the story once more.

"We walked to Calas Galadhon together. I went to my friend's house, but she had just gone out as guard for the flet inspections and repairs which your mishap caused, and would not be back for some weeks. So I sought out Elrohir. He had spoken of being at a loose end whilst you were stuck in the healers' care."

Legolas paused as though unsure of what to say next. Elrohir rushed in, "So we filled the time with archery and riding. Legolas' friend came back, and joined us in our expeditions. She taught us how to handle the little grey canoes the elves of Lorien use with great skill and speed." Elrohir laughed, "We had our fair share of capsizes as we tried to race them!"

Legolas smiled wistfully, "It was a wonderful summer."

"Yes, it was. What was her name again? I must speak to her next time I visit Lothlorien." Elrohir smiled at Legolas, but the blond elf looked away from him and stared into the fire.

"Tatharwen. Her name was Tatharwen. You will not speak with her if you visit Lothlorien. She rests in Mandos' halls."

Elrohir laid a hand on Legolas' shoulder, "I am sorry, my friend."

"It is all right. Just give me a moment." Legolas reached up and laid his hand over Elrohir's.

The tender moment sunk into Elladan's brain and he looked over at Estel, a question in his eyes. Estel nodded once, then asked quietly, "How long were you in the healers' house in Lothlorien?"

"In all? It was two months before they let me out. And two more before I was strong enough for the journey home. I did not see much of Elrohir in that time, I spent much of it walking with Arwen until I was fit to ride again. By then it was late Autumn, and we had to leave before the weather turned."

"Four months. A lot can happen in four months." Estel smiled at Elladan.

"What did you say?" Legolas looked up from the fire.

"I said, 'A lot can happen in four months.' " Estel was slightly puzzled by the reaction this produced.

Legolas and Elrohir looked at each other and smiled. Turning back to the bemused faces on the other side on the fire, Legolas said, "It certainly can."

The moment was broken by the far off sound of undergrowth being trampled beneath heavy feet. All four were on their feet in seconds. Elladan immediately took charge, giving orders in low, clipped tones. "Estel, take the left side. Elrohir, Legolas use your bows in the centre, then draw blades, I will take the right. If there are a great number, Elrohir, spin around and we will form a circle."

They stepped away from the fire and stood facing the direction of the noise, letting their eyes adjust to the dark as they readied their bows and swords.

The orcs crashed into the clearing and charged towards the four companions. Of the first dozen only one made it as far as Estel's sword, Elrohir only getting off five arrows to Legolas' six. The rest hung back in the eaves of the wood, wary of the elven bows.

"Set your bows aside," commanded Elladan. Legolas drew his twin knives, and Elrohir his sword.

The remaining orcs, seeing the bows set down, launched a desperate assault. There were a few minutes of clanging steel and then the only sound was Estel's heavy breathing and the quiet panting of the elves.

"We should burn the bodies." Elladan looked to Legolas for agreement.

"Yes. That is what we usually do. Were these the orcs you set out to ambush?" Legolas' question got a chuckle from Estel.

"This was the ambush. Why do you think we had such a bright fire in the middle of such a large clearing?"

Legolas' jaw dropped.
Chapter end notes: After my first fic, I felt like playing with the boys for a change :)
Tatharwen - literally "willow maiden"
Apologies are due for the totally unprovoked use of rabbits... they just leapt at me like killer plot bunnies so they had to die. How will we kill them Mi'lady? "Howibly. Howibly, howibly." As Queenie would have it.

Brownie points for anyone who gets that reference :-)