The Decision by Winter Storm

The morning dawned foggy and chill, with the sun no more than a pale sphere of light in the misty air. Aragorn stood on a high grass verge, his boots sunk deep into the damp soil, listening to the birdsong of the early hours. Every now and then, he looked to the house, where Legolas stood at the entrance and prepared his horse. They did not speak to each other as he continued to load his packs.

After a while, the ranger came slowly down towards the elf. "You truly mean to leave?" he asked in a low voice.

Legolas pursed his lips and carried on his work, as if he did not wish to reply. A moment later, he nodded. Aragorn sighed, and helped him load the last of the baggage.

"What has he said to you?" he asked suddenly. "Last night – you spoke not a word to each other at supper."

"It does not matter now."

"Would it not be better to settle your quarrel, than to leave so sudden and so secret?"

"Perhaps. But I should have left long before."

Aragorn looked at him with curiosity. "Legolas? You would tell me, would you not, if something were amiss? I have feared that you have not been well, these past few weeks."

Legolas laughed at him lightly, although the sound seemed forced. "All is well, my friend. Be assured, I will be more than content once I have reached my homeland."

Aragorn nodded, knowing that he must be satisfied with this answer. All the same, it seemed wrong to him that the departure should be so abrupt. He knew that this might in all likelihood be the longest that Legolas had ever been away from home, and yet he had misgivings about allowing him to return on his own.

Finally, it seemed, the elf was ready to leave. He mounted his horse and wrapped his cloak around his shoulders. "Farewell, Aragorn! Good fortune be with you! Take strength from those around you, for I know that you shall be victorious."

"Farewell, Legolas! I thank you, my friend, for the help that you have given us. We could not have travelled so far without your aid. Go safely now, and may you live in peace."

Legolas clasped his hand and then swung around as he prepared to make for Mirkwood. But before he had taken hold of the reins, Boromir came running from the house crying out his name.

"Wait! Legolas, please wait!"

At first it seemed that Legolas would ignore his cries and spur on his horse. But something held him back, and hesitantly, he let his hand fall. Boromir came up to him breathlessly, his face pale and unhappy. "Legolas, how could you think of leaving, without a word of goodbye?

Please forgive me, for I spoke rashly the other night. I would be wretched forevermore if you had left this morning and I had known nothing of it. You cannot go so silently, and think that I would not miss you!"

Legolas struggled to keep his icy composure. "I am sorry. I thought it would be easier for both of us, but I see it was the wrong thing to do. Come. Give me your hand. I forgive you freely, and I would have done so, even had you not asked."

Boromir looked at him desperately. "But you would still go? It may be that I will never see your face again."

"It may be so. But let us hope that one day, when victory is ours, we will perhaps cross paths."

Boromir shook his head and smiled. "How could I bear to see you, if you were on another man's arm?"

"Come, Boromir. Do not let such bitterness destroy our friendship. Forget the painful words that have been spoken in the past."

"I cannot forget. I have loved you." Legolas trembled.

"You must learn not to love me. You must think upon the battles ahead, and how you shall overcome your foes. And then you will return to your home, and to your father and brother, and the people will laud you beyond your dreams. And then you must look to the affairs of stewardship, and take a wife, and have children of your own. You must go back and live your own life, Boromir, and be happy."

Boromir stepped back and bowed his head in silence, but Legolas leaned down and put his hand upon his shoulder.

"I pray for your happiness, Boromir, and wish that your life is prosperous and content. Blessings be upon your head! It is well deserved."

"It is only because of you. I have done many things in my life that I am ashamed of, and only your good soul made me want to be kind and to better myself. May the winds speed you safely to your home, and take this as remembrance of our friendship." With this, he stood on tiptoe and kissed the elf's forehead. Legolas embraced him and then took hold of the reins.

"Farewell, Boromir! Farewell!" He turned and galloped off into the distance, as swift as a shadow on the wind. As he left the house of Rohan further and further away, he allowed himself to break down at last. Boromir stood watching the distant figure for many moments, and it pained him that not once did Legolas turn around and look at him again. But it was only because the elf wept, and he could not bear another to see his tears.