The Decision by Winter Storm

The next months were tumultuous with change and doubt, for in a short span of time, battles were won and lost, hundreds of lives were sacrificed, and terrors unimaginable were faced. Yet Minas Tirith, and with it, the whole of Middle-Earth, at last came from the darkness into light. The eagles soared over the battlements in triumph, and Aragorn was crowned as King.

After the heat of war had passed, and the world saw a new spring, Boromir and his consort had time to reflect on the upheavals of their lives. They had been at the forefront of the fighting, and seen many good men fall beside them. They had rejoiced at the victory, and at the coronation and marriage of the King, and had bidden farewell to the hobbits, Gandalf and Gimli, whom they loved so well. Boromir had lost his father to suicide and madness, and gained a sister-and-law in the shape of his brother's new wife, the beautiful Eowyn. Legolas had left Mirkwood forever, and come to make a new life as an elf in the land of Men.

So many changes, and the day of their marriage now seemed like a distant memory. For Boromir, it was a welcome homecoming, but for Legolas it was time to start from the beginning. He wandered through new home uncertainly. The stone walls and tall turrets were not like the dense forests he was used to, and the wealth and splendour of the city was a different beauty from the simplicity of Nature. At first, he spoke the local tongue with halting phrases and performed any public task hesitantly, waiting to see how others behaved at the table or during ceremonials, before he too followed. For he found their ways very different from what he had learned in Mirkwood.

But Legolas learned quickly, as with all things. He would be forever grateful to Faramir, for out of all the friends and family of either partner, he was the only one to express any joy at the union. At their first meeting he was taken aback, to be sure, when Boromir returned after long months away to present his shy and lovely consort on his arm, but then he embraced the elf warmly, and called him brother, and told him that he could not wish more happiness for them both. He was the first to show Legolas around Gondor, and endeavour to make him welcome. And soon, it was if the elf had been born a man of Minas Tirith. He found friends in the city, and spoke their language like a native, and dressed like them and ate the local fare. This was much to the chagrin of Thorongil, who thought it unbecoming. But there was no mistaking the elf's origins - even at the market in the midst of the crowded street, the beauty and grace of his exquisite face shone out like the sun, and people turned their heads to see him go by.

"I am surprised at you, Boromir," Faramir said to his brother, when they spoke alone together, soon after he had first returned. "Of all that should happen while you were away, I never expected this. How did it come to be?"

Boromir did not like to lie to his brother. They had always been close. But he was not able to reveal the full story of his courtship with Legolas, for he had sworn to keep it secret. So he smiled and said:

"Surprised at what? That I have chosen to marry at last? Or that an elf of royal blood is my husband?"

"Both, if truth be told. But I am glad, because I have never seen you so happy. You cherish him, that is clear."

The older man smiled again.

"I feared at one time that I might never find someone to call my own. You know, as well as I do, how my past affairs fell to pieces, through my own selfishness and folly. But he is my good angel, and makes me a better man. He and Anarion are the most precious things to me in all the world."

"I hope that you look after them as well as they deserve," said Faramir gravely. He loved his brother, but he knew his faults as well.

"I will," said Boromir earnestly, "I have learned my lesson. This time, I do not want to make a mistake, and ruin what the Valar have given me. I love them too much for that."

Faramir embraced him.

"You will be a wonderful father and husband, I know it," he reassured. "And you need not worry or fear anything, only come to me and I will always stand by you."

"Thank you, Faramir," he replied.

"Although, it may not be the same with everyone," said Faramir thoughtfully. "You know that some people are displeased? They do not like what you have done."

"Let them say what they want," said Boromir sharply. "I know that they reject this marriage, and call him a foreigner, and my son illegitimate. But I will not stand for it. If they dare insult him in front of me, they will not escape punishment."

"Ignore them. Live your own life. Legolas and Anarion should be your only concern now."

Boromir rubbed his brother's hair playfully.

"Yes, since you do not need looking after any more, little brother! How grown up you seem now. You have made me very proud. I think that you and Eowyn suit each other very well."

Faramir was pleased. "To our consorts," said Boromir, and, laughing, they both raised their glasses.