The Decision by Winter Storm

A little of the weak dawn light came in through the cracks in the stone vault of Moria. Gandalf had his pipe in his mouth as he looked at the others asleep, and every now and again, smoke would billow out around his white beard. Aragorn was beside him, and the two were crouched together quietly, speaking in whispers.

"If you truly believe it can be done, then I will follow you. Never mind what others think or say. I trust your judgment alone."

Gandalf sighed wearily, and seemed to show his age.

"Well, that is something. But my judgement is based on hope only. We have a chance, to be sure, or I would never have let Frodo take the ring. But it is only a chance, after all."

"He is brave, and steadfast. With our help, we can make it yet."

"And when all is said and done, we have no choice. It is this, or nothing. That seems to make decisions easier, at any rate."

Aragorn leaned back. "I wonder how much he understands of the danger he is in."

"He has come to know more, little by little. But perhaps it has turned out better that he does not know too much. There is something about a hobbit's innocence, and good faith, that makes me relieved that it was he who took the ring, and no one else. It makes him safer, I think."

Aragorn nodded languidly, taking another deep breath from his pipe. "Although he is not the only one in danger from it," he commented quietly.

Gandalf looked at him straight in the face, his eyes glittering in the gloom. "Ah. So you have noticed it too, have you?"

"From the moment he looked at the ring, he was caught."

"Yes, yes, you are right. It doesn't surprise me much, I am ashamed to say. He is his father's son."

"A bold man, I think."

"And a headstrong one, and a stubborn one, and one who is used to always getting his own way." Aragorn only smiled to himself.

"I don't say that he is a bad man, Aragorn. But he worries me. He has a great yearning to prove his own worth, and despite all appearances, a great insecurity in his heart. The ring feeds on those weaknesses like a leech. Out of everyone here, I fear that he will be the first to be tempted."

"I will keep an eye on him. He may prove us wrong in the end, and let us hope that he does."

Gandalf looked to where Boromir lay asleep, his brow furrowed. "That is not all you need to keep an eye on him for, my friend."

Now it was Aragorn's turn to look at Gandalf closely. "So you have noticed that as well?" He shifted his position on the rock.

"I thought so myself."

"There is lust in his eyes, when he looks at Legolas. He tries to keep it hidden, but there is no doubt that he desires him."

"Can you blame him? Legolas is a worthy and noble elf. It is no surprise that he has awakened the man's interest."

"Maybe not, but it is a dangerous thing. It is not healthy to want what you cannot have." Aragorn's face became grim.

"That is what I was always told, when I wanted Arwen to marry me." Gandalf put a hand placatingly on his shoulder.

"Your case is different. You were brought up among the elves, and know their ways. And you have royal blood. But Thranduil has poor opinion of mortals, and he treasures his son like a jewel. Boromir should be warned that it is not his place to interfere, for it will only ruin Legolas's reputation. One night of diversion for that man's satisfaction is not worth damaging a prince's future prospects."

Aragorn remained unconvinced. "I think that Legolas is wise enough to make his own decisions regarding anything of that matter. But if it will ease your fears, I can talk to Boromir in private."

"Would you, Aragorn? He would listen if it came from you." The man lifted his eyebrows, not certain that Boromir would be pleased when he warned him off, but he nodded anyway.

"I am more worried about Legolas for other reasons. He is pale and weak, still. And his injuries have not healed as fast as I had hoped. An elf should have been back to fitness by now, but some power in those foul spirits has kept the wounds open and raw."

"He is shaken," replied the wizard. "It will take time. It was a dreadful misfortune, to befall someone so pure and blameless, and the recovery will be slow. Think of it: he is one of the Eldar, and he can scarcely comprehend the greed and cruelty of Men that leads them to such dreadful deeds. Has he spoken to you, about what happened that night?"

"No, he has said nothing. And I have not dared to ask him."

"Neither have I, Aragorn. Neither have I." And he shook his head thinking about it. There was a long pause, when Pippin's small voice suddenly piped up.

"Are you awake, then, you two? What are you gossiping about"

"Yes, Master Lazybones, we have been awake for hours," said Gandalf good-naturedly. "And never mind what we were 'gossiping' about, it has nothing to do with you."

"So have you found the right way for us?"

"Of course I have. What sort of question is that? Come along – let's get the others up." And in a few moments, they were off again, ever further into the darkness of Moria.