Letter for the Dead by Nevatarwen

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: Warning: Gimli is dead *sniff* *sniff*

It may be a little confusing, so don't worry, it isn't just you.

And please don't plague me with grammatical errors you noticed (unless it is something like We is or I were or something like that). Absense of commas and fractured sentences are parts of my writing style.
This letter is for you, for all the times I opened my mouth to say it aloud, to change our future forever, and for all the times I changed my mind, for all the times I looked at you, wondering what this feeling was, knowing the bile was rising in my throat and knowing...a dwarf. A bloody dwarf. The one kind we cannot have such actions toward. A sanction I was afraid to violate. Yes, a dwarf. And moreover, what was it I was feeling all the times I looked at you? Aragorn would say it was love, but what does he know of it? What knowledge could he possess? It was he, after all, who carried on the affair with the son of the Steward of Gondor before marrying Arwen Evenstar. And I do not believe in love, anyway. Love is where you are willing to risk everything just for one person, one person alone. And I could not bring myself to do such a thing as risk my pride. How could I possibly, then, love you? No, it was never love. And yet I know this was not lust, for I did not desire your flesh, I just wished to be near you and it is obvious now that I still do. But I do not call this friendship, either. It went beyond friendship or even brotherhood, but never extended to love. I fear I will never know, and yet, nor will anyone else; I could not bear to lay such frail worries upon Aragorn, and I dare not speak to anyone else of it.

Now I have told you how I felt for the past many years, may it do you much good. The only thing I pity from these past times is that I had not the courage to tell you when I still could.

And now I lay this upon your tomb with solemnity and the sweet fragrance of happier das. May this letter be a shield from orcs and passing thieves, Gimli, son of Gloin, and may your axe be sharp and may you possess many a friend in the place you have now come to know. Peace be with you, master dwarf, and may I lay to rest all the feelings in my emptying heart and find peace there as well.