Friends are Forever by Carhuine Malthenel

Legolas stood on the battlements looking down upon the hordes of Uruk Hai. The rain pounded on them as the wind whipped around them angrily. Legolasod aod amongst several hundred elves that had arrived earlier to everyones delight. Haldir stood tall and proud as he readied his bow. Legolas closed his eyes for a minute and thought of his beloved. Legolas was almost certain that he would die tonight. Even with the elves help they were horribly outnumbered. Legolas opened his eyes as Aragorn told them to make ready. Legolas raised his bow and readied an arrow, he sent a swift prayer to the Valar. The Uruk charged and the elves released volly after volley of arrows. Legolas never took his eyes off Aragorn as they fought. He had sworn to Arwen to watch the humans back after all.

"Legolas!"

Aragorn shout tore him from his thoughts. Turning Legolas saw an Uruk running to ward the keep. He held a flaming brand in his hand. Legolas shot him but it didn't kill him.

"Kill him!"

Legolas fired off another arrow but it wasn't in time. There was a horribe explosion as the wall was torn apart. Legolas and Aragorn were flung high into the air. Legolas hit the ground with a bone jarring thud, he gasped as the wind was knocked from him. Suddenly an Orc was standing over him, sword readied to kill him. Legolas tried to regain his footing but the Orc knocked him down again. The Orc grinned enjoying the little game as he toyed with the elf. Suddenly another elf materilized behind the Orc and killed it. Legolas took the other elf's offered hand as he stood. Legolas grabbed his sword and continued to fight when he heard Aragorn calling for a retreat. Legolas td and and headed for the inner keep's entrance when he saw Haldir turn to look at Aragorn. His eyes widened as he saw a Uruk raise his sword to kill the march warden. Legolas fired off an arrow beofore he even thought about it. The Uruk fell and pinned the March warden beneith him. Running fast Legolas tossed the dead Uruk off his friend.

"Are you ok?" He asked as he pulled the elf to his feet.

Haldir winced and clutched at his side, his hand came away sticky with blood. "Just a scratch."

Legolas led him inside the keep just before the gates were barred. Haldir sat down wincing as he pulled the cut on his side. Aragorn came over and assesed the injury.

"It is not bad." Aragorn said as he cleaned the cut and bandaged it.

"Thank you Estel." Haldir said when he was done. "And thank you Legolas....for saving my life."

Legolas squeezed Haldir'ouldoulder comfortingly. "You would have done the same for me mellon."




The next morning dawned and there was no sign of Gandalf or the help he was supposed to bring. Aragorn convinced Theoden to ride out valiantly one more time, Theoden agreed and the mounted their horses, the remaning survivors charged out behind them. As they fought for what they thought was the last time when suddenly Gandalf appeared oover the horizion leading Eomer and his twousanusand men. Charging Eomer and his group quickly dispatched the last of the Uruk. A c aro arose from the battered and bloodied survivors. They had won, they had survived! The race of men was still standing, and that in it's self was a supreme victory.

The clean up had begun and the number of dead was shocking. Almost half of the elves had perished and about two hundred men had fallen.




What Legolas didn't know however was that he was being watched. An elf followed his every movement, every gesture. The elf had heard about how Grima had been set free. How the horrid man had run to Saruman and now lived at Orthanic. The elf wanted that man dead, because the elf was Lord Elrond. Grima had greviously injured his beloved and he would make him pay.

"When shall you tell him?" Haldir asked coming up behind Elrond.

"Soon. See if you can get him alone. Saes." Elrond asked turning to look at Haldir.

"Of course." Haldir smiled and bowed slightly.

Elrond went inside the keep and sat in a shadowy corner.




"Legolas!"

Legolas turned when he heard Haldir call out his name. "Aye?"

"I wish to speake with you mellon.." Haldir said.

"Sure. Here? Or inside the keep?" Legolas asked polietly.

"Inside plese." Haldir turned and went inside with Legolas traling behind him.

Elrond watched as Haldir entered the keep with Legolas trailing behind him. Haldir led Legolas close to the cornere where Elrond was.

"What did you wish to tell me?" Legolas asked unnerved.

Haldir smiled and turned Legolas so he was facing the corner. "Have fun." Hr whr whispered into his ear before he left.

"Wha..." Legolas trailed off as the elf in the corner stepped into the light.

Even in the plain tunic and leggings of a simple warrior Elrond was a sight to behold. Legolas opened his mouth to speak but Elrond laid a finger on his lips before he leaned in and kissed the prince.