Friends are Forever by Carhuine Malthenel

When I saw Elladan coming toward us I was filled with fear. Had something happened to Legolas? I looked at Aragorn and saw fear, hope, and several other emotions in his eyes. He looked at me for awnsers, and I did not have them. For the first time in my life I did not know what to say or do. How could I reassure him when I myself need comforting? I knew in my heart that Aragorn loved Legolas, but was his love returned? I was ashamed at my thinking, Aragorn was a son to me! I knew then that no matter what I would not get in the way f his happiness, Even if it ment sacrificing my own. Elladan stopped in front of us and smiled.

"Legolas is awake." he said happily.

I saw Aragorn's shoulders droop in relief. I knew what I must say, what I must do.

"Aragorn go see to him. I will be in to change his bandages in 10 minutes." I said slowly.

He looked at me and I could see gratitude in his eyes before he walked away.

I looked at my son and to my suprise he looked concerned. Was there something he was not telling me? Before I could ask he turned away saying. "I will tell Elrohir and Arwen the good news." Shrugging I walked toward Legolas chamber, my thoughts wandered to the first time we met.




20 years earlier in Mirkwood

I rode in silence following the elf Legolas to the heart of Mirkwood. My companion stared straight ahead and said nothing. But I could see that he was trying not to cry, emotions ran across his face. Among them were sadness, contempt, anger, and self loathing.

"I am sorry if I got you into trouble with your king." I heard myself say.

"Nothing I do is good enough for my father." he spat out angrily. "I do everything wrong, say everything wrong. I am never right. He treats me like I am a child, a slow witted, human child."

"He is your father?" I asked incredulous. I would never have hit my sons! No matter how angry they made me I could not imagine hitting them. Not like that!

"Yes. We are here." Legolas lapsed into silence.

The palace was carved from solid rock, it looked like it was carved into the mountian. We dismounted as attendants came to take our horses.

"I will show you where you can wait for my father." he said. Before we could take a step a beautiful elvin woman ran from the palace and into Legolas's arms.

"Legolas!! You are back!" she cried as she embraced him.

"Yes I am home Trianna." he said smiling.

"Oh! What happened to your face?" Trianna asked concerned.

"Father hit me. I screwed up again." Legolas said anger and sadness aparent in his voice.

Trianna gasped "No.....Oh no. Not again."

Legolas nodded slowly then remembering my presence said "Trianna this is Lord Elrond from Imraldris. Lord Elrond this is my sister Princess Trianna."

She curtsyed daintly and said "Well met milord."

I nodded and smiled, she was such a charming creature. Like her brother. the thought crossed my mind.

"Trianna let me show Lord Elrond to the library and then I will awnser all your questions." Legolas said after a minute.

Trianna curtsyed again before dashing back into the palace.




I rapped lightly on the door before entering, unsure of what to expect. I entered the room and saw Aragorn standing next to the bed smiling.

"Welcome to Rivendell Prince Legolas of Mirkwood." I said walking to the bed. My heart was beating fast, I hoped no one else could hear it. I beagn to check his wounds, and change their bandages. As I worked Aragorn and Legolas talked about the attack, Rivendell, and other mindless chatter. I yearned to touch Legolas in other ways besides clinical healing. But I would not get in the way of my son. Legolas was Aragorn's I would have to learn to live with that.