The North-Thain's Murder by Kathryn Ramage

They parted at the parlor door. The Thain's heir was congenial, but Frodo suspected that Alhasrus was now eager to get away from him and his questions. He went down the tunnel to the Thain's study to see if Brabantius was in and willing to talk.

"Of course, you are welcome to disturb me any time you wish, Mr. Baggins!" Brabantius greeted him warmly. "I am in your debt, for you've done me good already."

"But I haven't done anything!" Frodo protested.

"Indeed you have. Since we spoke yesterday, I find I feel much more hopeful of my future. I am able to eat my dinner again, and surely going without is torment to any right-minded hobbit! Now, how may I aid you?"

Frodo sat down and briefly told the elderly Thain what deductions and discoveries he and his friends had made so far with regard to the use of laburnum poison, most likely taken from the trees in the garden, and how Sam and Tulipant had tasted the wine. He did not mention Diamanta's and Aspid's accusations against Iris, nor Iris's hints about family quarrels.

"I wanted to ask you about the wine, sir. Tulipant says he can detect an odd undertaste to it, but doesn't recall if the same taste was there when the wine was first decanted. Do you recall when you first tasted that wine if there was anything odd about it?"

"I wish I could," said Brabantius, "but if there was anything wrong, I'm afraid I didn't notice. I'd been going over the accounts to add in the northern rents and had no time to relax and savor the wine. I gulped down my usual glass without a thought. And after I recovered from my illness and my suspicions were aroused, everything tasted as if there might be poison in it."

"I hope if you don't mind some more personal questions, sir."

"No," Brabantius replied after a moment's hesitation, "not if they are to the point, and they will help you."

"Have you made any recent changes to your will?" asked Frodo.

"Yes, certainly, after I married again. It was the only sensible thing to do, since I had new family members to provide for."

"Can I ask what these changes were?"

"I don't see why you shouldn't know, Mr. Baggins. I've never troubled to conceal it from anyone. The small bequests are the same as they've always been--gifts of money and possessions to distant relatives, tenants, and my faithful servants. After my first wife's death, the main portion of my property was divided three ways, equally between my two sons and my daughter. The Hall and the land attached to the Thainship were to go to Alhasrus as my heir, with the understanding that his brother and sister and their children and grandchildren might always find a home here if they wished it."

"And after your re-marriage?"

"I had to think of Iris too, of course. She is to consider the Hall her home as long as she lives, and then it will become the property of Alhasrus or his son if she outlives him, and not go to Isigo. The Hall must be kept in the Took family, you see. I've provided for Isigo too, but Alhasrus is heir to the Thainship--he'll be the next Thain after me and no will can alter that. As long as the Hall belongs to Iris, she has the same understanding about my children and their families finding a home here. My fortune is mainly divided into four equal portions now instead of three, and Isigo and the grandchildren will come in for smaller bequests."

"Is everyone aware of these arrangements?" Frodo asked, thinking of Alhasrus's statement about having to live with Iris and her son.

"More or less," Brabantius replied. "I've never made my plans a secret, as I've said. My sons are well aware of these changes. I made it all plain to them, especially the disposition of the Hall, when the new will was written up. I suppose they've told their wives and their sister, and they told the grandchildren. Iris read my will when I signed it."

"Did anybody make objections?"

"I imagine s me! Alhasrus has cause to resent it most, but after all, I couldn't leave my wife unprovided-for and hope for generosity towards her from him and Diamanta."