The North-Thain's Murder by Kathryn Ramage

Pippin, Diantha, and Isigo had gotten their own lunch. When they left the empty cottage, all three young hobbits agreed that they were ravenous, having missed their elevenses. Isigo suggested that instead of going back to the Thain's Hall, they stop at a tavern up the lane.

The tavern's bar was not yet officially open for business when they went in. "I couldn't serve public ale or beer afore midday," the tavern-keeper told them apologetically. "And anyway, Miss Diantha, you know what Mr. Alamaric says-"

"Father says-" Di began, grinning.

"I'm not to give you a beer at any time." As the tavern-keeper spoke, Di said these words along with him. "That's right, Miss. Not 'til you're a full three-and-thirty. But I can give you and the lads a drop o' cider."

"And a bite to eat, please?" requested Isigo.

Mugs of cider, a gooseberry tart, and a platter of cold ham and cheese were provided. The trio settled down at a table in the empty common-room, and were enjoying their meal when a handsome, fair-haired hobbit of middle years emerged from the hallway behind the bar, where there were two spare rooms reserved for travelers.

"Uncle Flori!" cried Di when she saw him. "I didn't know you were here."

"Uncle Flori always stays at the tavern when he visits," Isigo told Pippin. "You should've let us know you were in the neighborhood, Uncle."

"I only just arrived last night. Hello, children," Uncle Flori replied, and rumpled the curls of the two young hobbits. "You shouldn't be swilling down ale at this hour- Ah, it's cider, is it? That's much better. More respectable for young persons, especially young ladies. Who's your friend? I thought I knew all the Tooks in the Cleeve."

"Pippin's one of the South-Tooks," Diantha explained. "Thain Paladin's son. He's never been to our part of the Shire before."

"Nor do I go down to the south Shire very often to call on our relatives there," said Uncle Flori. "I'm pleased to make your acquaintance, Master Took. Staying at the Thain's Hall, are you? Now perhaps you children can tell me--what on Middle-earth is going on at the Hall? When I came in last night, this room was full of local folk, and I heard all kinds of alarming stories about the poor old Thain going mad, and sherriffs and detectives being called in. I say, Uncle Brabantius is all right, isn't he?"

They told him what was going on. Since none of the three young hobbits were the type to keep secrets, they told him everything they knew about Brabantius's worst suspicions and the extent of Frodo's investigation so far. Pippin only kept his mouth shut about the accusations Diamanta and Aspid had made against Isigo's mother.

"My goodness!" cried the older hobbit when he had heard all. "How terrible! I was thinking of going over for dinner this evening-"

"Don't be afraid, Uncle Flori," Di laughed. "The soup won't be poisoned!"

"It isn't that, Imp," Uncle Flori replied and tweaked the tip of her ear. "Will they want me underfoot with so much going on?"

"Oh, they won't mind," said Isigo. "Why don't you come back with us? Mama will be pleased to see you. She needs her friends about her now. You know how they've all been about us since we came to live with them, and this has only made it worse for her."

Uncle Flori agreed that he would, and went to find the tavern-keeper to see about his own luncheon.

"Who is he?" Pippin asked. "You didn't say. Is he a relative of ours?" He didn't have Frodo's detective skills, but he couldn't help noticing that the older hobbit did have a Tookish look about him, and both Di and Isigo had called him 'Uncle.'

"Yes, he is," said Isigo. "One relative we have in common. He's Florisel Pumble-Took--a cousin of my father's on the Pumble side, and a distant cousin to the Thain on the Took side."

At that moment, Hilbarus and Helimarcus Took came into the tavern, and did not appear happy to see the other trio there ahead of them. "Does your father know where you are, Diantha," asked Helimarcus, "and who you're with?"

"Yes, he does!" Di shot back. "Are you following us, to spy?"

"Following you?" her cousin echoed. "Goodness, no! We were trying to get away from all this ugly business with poisons and detectives. It's no pleasure to find you here, my girl, nor your companions. But who you choose to keep company with is thankfully no concern of ours."

Pippin thought that these remarks were directed at him, as one of the intruding 'detectives,' until Hilbarus, the elder brother, added, "Better it's you in such company, I suppose, than our sister." Then he said to Isigo, "She's coming back today, so mind you keep a respectful distance, Pumble, and don't get any ideas about making up to her and worming your way into our family like your mother has."

Isigo turned very red. "I never had any such idea," he retorted, rising to his feet. "I wouldn't want to be part of your family, thank you!"

The two North-Took lads stepped forward and Di sprang up, to side with Isigo. Pippin was about to stand also--after all, he couldn't just sit there while his friends were in need of aid, and he knew something about fighting--when the tavern-keeper and Florisel returned from the kitchen, averting the brawl that was about to break out between the young hobbits. Di put her hand on Isigo's arm, and the pair sat down again. Hilbarus and Helimarcus turned with exaggerated casualness and strolled to the bar to order ales, for it was now just past noon.

All was peaceful for several minutes. Hilbarus and Helimarcus drank their ales and Florisel joined the others at their table. When the mugs of cider were empty, Pippin got up to have them refilled. He would have preferred an ale himself, but it didn't seem fair to drink in front of Di when she wasn't allowed to enjoy one too.

"It's a shocking thing to see," Helimarcus said to him as he stood at the bar while the mugs were attended to. "You, a Thain's son, taking up with the worst lot in the Cleeve--that wild, unnatural girl and that scheming boy."

"Oh, I'm worse that the two of them together," Pippin answered with a grin. Since one fight had been avoided, he wasn't going to be provoked into another one.

"You work for this Mr. Baggins?" asked Hilbarus.

"I help Frodo whenever I can," Pippin replied. "He doesn't pay me--I do it because it's fun. What better reason is there to do anything?"

"Fun for you and Mr. Baggins, perhaps," grumbled Helimarcus, "but not for us."

"What's he up to with Grandfather?" asked his brother.

"What d'you mean?" Pippin asked back.

"This business about poison in the wine," Hilbarus explained. "It's all a waste of time, isn't it?"

"You think you know who the poisoner is?" asked Pippin, expecting that Hilbarus would have the same opinion as his mother and aunt.

"No--because there isn't one! Old hobbits are apt to fancy odd things like food tasting funny and people plotting against them. I'm certain this is all in Grandfather's imagination, and your Mr. Baggins encourages it for the sake of poking his nose in where it doesn't belong."

"If Frodo says he believes Thain Brabantius has been poisoned, it's because he truly does," Pippin defended his friend. "He wouldn't lie."

"If you say so," Hilbarus said with a shrug. "But I think that this famous detective is so keen on seeing murderers everywhere, he looks for them even when there are none to be found. Our home will be turned all topsy-turvy and everyone upset, and what's it all for? Nothing. It'd be much better if Mr. Baggins puts a stop this investigation of his and tells Grandfather there's nothing in it. Then you can all pack up and go home, and leave us in peace. Since you're a friend of his, Peregrin, you might tell him so."