The North-Thain's Murder by Kathryn Ramage

As Lady Iris had requested, there was no talk of poison over lunch. On this point, all the ladies were in perfect accord. Instead, there was a polite unraveling of genealogical connections, as Althaea traced the relationships of Frodo and Merry to Diamanta, and subsequently the North-Took family. The presence of detectives in her father's house was made more palatable by the fact that at least three of them were akin to her. Sam, the North-Took ladies ignored, but Iris went out of her way to draw him into conversation. Frodo guessed that she was probably used to being snubbed by them herself, and therefore sympathetic to someone else in a similar position. There was no discussion of her family background at the table.

Near the end of luncheon, Florisel Pumble-Took arrived at the Thain's Hall with the five young hobbits, some of whom were in sulky moods. But Florisel was smiling. "You see, I've brought all your wayward children home," he announced once he had been greeted by Brabantius and kissed Iris, "plus one extra. They've told me such alarming tales, and you must tell me more. I am most eager to meet the famous detective I've heard so much about."

Frodo and the rest of his companions were introduced, but there were too many hobbits all around, with different views of the case, for any one of them to give Florisel a clear account. Iris took him by the arm, and the two retreated for a private conversation in her boudoir. The group began to break up. Brabantius returned to his study. Alamaric and Diantha went home. The ladies and gentlemen of the Thain's Hall went to the parlor for a conference of their own. Sam went out to find Mr. Tubrose, the Thain's gardener, and Merry went in search of Pippin and Isigo, who had disappeared almost as soon as they'd returned to the Hall.

Frodo intended to speak to Brabantius about the conclusions he'd drawn since their conversation that morning, but when he approached the Thain's study, he found that Brabantius already had a visitor. Althaea had not joined her family in the parlor, but had followed her father.

"There is another reason I came today, Father. I wanted to talk to you about something very important." She stood with her back to the slightly open study door and did not see nor hear Frodo. It wasn't gentlemanly to eavesdrop, but Frodo didn't move from the spot. He had learned that this was sometimes the only way a good investigator could find out important things. "It's about Vida's marriage," said Althaea. "We are hoping to see her and Odonto wed this autumn."

"Vida doesn't need my permission to marry," Brabantius answered. "Odonto is a fine lad, and if you and Valumus have given your approval, I've no reason to protest. I'll throw the young couple a wedding party, and give them a good present, just as I did when your two elder girls were wed."

"Will you also settle a dowry upon her?"

"That's the duty of a father, my dear, not a grandfather. Won't that husband of yours put up a little for his own daughter, or can't he?"

"You know he can't, Father! There's nothing left to give her. Valumus-"

"Yes, I know all about Valumus." The Thain sighed. "I'm afraid you made your own bed there, Althaea, and will have to abide in it. I had my doubts about Valumus from the beginning, but you were so insistent that he was the only one for you. I hoped that a strong-willed girl as you were would bring out the best in him. Instead, he's sunk himself and tried to drag you down with him. It pains me to see it, my dear. Whenever you've come to me, begging for money, I've helped you out of your troubles. I've been generous time and again, and that husband of yours only sinks farther and expects more from me. There must be an end to it."

"Father-!"

"No, Althaea. I'll settle something upon Vida for her marriage. But nothing more for yours. I've done all I can."

Althaea turned and rushed out of the study; Frodo shrank back against the curving wall of the passage until she had passed, then waited another minute before he knocked on the open door.

"Come in, Mr. Baggins," the Thain spoke from within.

Frodo peeked in through the doorway. "You knew I was there?"

"I became aware that someone was waiting in the passage, but wasn't certain whom it might be. Tulipant would have made his presence known with a discreet cough. I guessed it might be you, or one of your companions. You've been all around today, I understand, making the acquaintance of my family and servants, asking them questions."

"You don't mind?"

"Of course not. That was precisely what I asked you to do."

"No," said Frodo, "I meant my eavesdropping on your conversation with your daughter."

Brabantius shook his head. "If I had objected, I wouldn't have spoken as I did. I imagine it's part of your work, to pry into private matters. I hope you will be discreet about anything you overhear that has no bearing upon your investigation."

"We can be extremely discreet about what we find, even when it bears upon our investigation." Frodo ventured, "Do you think your daughter's- ah- difficulties have any bearing?"

"You mean, do I think Althaea's poisoned me to obtain money I won't give her freely? No, I can't believe that's so. I can't believe it of any of my family, and yet it must be one of them. She loves that worthless husband of hers. Him, I can believe anything of." The Thain looked as if the mere mention of his son-in-law made a sour taste in his mouth. "I would be happier if she left him to his fate and returned to live with us here. Perhaps she will once Vida is married and gone away to a home of her own." Those bright eyes met Frodo's suddenly. "You do think it's one of the family, don't you?"

"I'm certain it's someone in this house, or someone who is able to come in and go about freely," Frodo answered.

Brabantius nodded solemnly. "Someone I have trusted."

"Yes, sir."

After a long silence, Brabantius sighed. "Then I've done what is best by setting you among them. I had my qualms about it when you and your friends first arrived, but I see now it must be done. Go, and pry as you will. Ask my children whatever questions you like. You're a clever young hobbit, Mr. Baggins. I'm certain you can bring the truth to light."

"They are reluctant to tell me anything," Frodo informed him.

"Undoubtedly they are, but I have confidence in your ability to handle them. I was most impressed with how you spoke to Vidalia when she challenged your work." The Thain gave Frodo a small smile. "My hearing is still good, you see, and you are not the only one who has found some advantage in listening to other people's conversations."