The North-Thain's Murder by Kathryn Ramage

After he left the Hall kitchen, Sam went in search of Frodo to tell him what he'd discovered. A quick look around told him that Frodo was in the drawing room, having tea with the Tooks. Sam hung back outside the door reluctantly; he didn't want to put himself in among the Tooks, and he certainly couldn't tell Frodo about her ladyship's secret in front of them.

Lady Iris, who had remained in the kitchens awhile longer to speak with her mother, was coming up the hallway. Rather than meet her again now and go in with her, he went down the hall in the opposite direction and came to the entrance. He went out the front door. In the front gardens, he saw to his alarm that Pippin and Diantha were sitting together in what appeared to be an intimate conversation. It confirmed his worst fears.

Last night, Frodo had done his best to convince him that Merry was no longer a threat to them, but Sam continued to worry. He'd observed the quarrels between Frodo's two cousins, and knew that it meant trouble. Merry and Pippin had only to part for Merry to consider taking up with Frodo... and where would that leave him if Frodo decided to go back to Merry and Buckland?

It was useless to talk to Merry about it, for Merry would only say he was joking and deny that he had any designs on Frodo. Besides, Sam knew that if there was a break between Merry and Pippin, it wouldn't be Merry's doing, but Pippin's and that wild, red-headed Miss Took's.

That scene in Frodo's room this afternoon had disturbed him for many reasons--the girl's slapping Frodo and fighting to get at him--it'd taken a lot of effort to hold her still--the knowing glance between Frodo and Merry over some secret they shared. But most of all, he didn't like the way Pippin had taken Diantha's side and openly sympathized with her. And hadn't there been an odd little joke about matchmaking between the two over lunch?

Sam had to find out how much danger there really was. Would there be a match between the two young Tooks, or did he still have one ally who didn't want Frodo and Merry to go back together as much as he did?

He went down the front steps toward them. Di flushed red and became rather angry and flustered as Sam approached and stood over the bench where she and Pippin were sitting; she didn't like boys who could best her in a fight.

"I an't interrupting?" Sam asked them.

"No," Pippin said. "We were just talking a few things over, about this investigation and other things. Di says she's sorry about what happened before--don't you, Di?"

"Yes, 'm sorry," the girl mumbled. "I made a stupid fuss. Poppa says I should apologize to Frodo too."

"And so you should, Miss. You'll find 'm in the parlor," Sam informed her.

Diantha took the hint and left them to find Frodo herself.

Sam decided to let her make her apologies to Frodo first, and tackle this more serious problem while he had the chance. "Where's Master Merry got to?" he asked Pippin after Di had left them.

"I don't know. He's probably gone to have his tea with everybody else by now. I ought to go in myself--I am feeling a bit peckish." But Pippin did not get up; instead, he indicated the empty spot on the bench beside him where Di had been sitting. "What is it, Sam? What's wrong?"

"I wanted to talk to you, 'bout him," Sam said as he took a seat. He didn't have his own pipe with him and, having nothing to occupy his hands, began to fidget his thumbs.

"You're not still upset about Merry and Frodo, are you?" Pippin asked.

"Now how d'you know about that?" demanded Sam, and wondered if Frodo had confided in his cousins.

Pippin grinned. "You've been upset about them since you dragged Frodo back to Bag End this spring. Even I can see that plainly enough. Merry's afraid you'll give him a thrashing over it one of these days."

"I just might," said Sam. "Don't it bother you--the thought o' them?"

The grin disappeared, and Pippin was quiet for a moment before he answered, "I used to be afraid it would happen, if Frodo ever saw how Merry felt about him."

Sam mmph'd! at this; he'd seen very well for himself how Merry felt about Frodo.

Pippin smiled more softly in understanding. "Everybody but Frodo saw it. You know how blind he is about obvious things. He didn't see how you felt either, Sam, not for years and years. Anyway, I was afraid it was going to happen and when it did, there wasn't anything I could do about it. At least you didn't have to travel with them all the way home from Rivendell and see them together. They tried to be polite and not make a show of it, but I knew how they were going at each other like mad squirrels whenever I wasn't around. It was over by the time you came to Buckland--and it is over now, Sam."

"D'you think so?" Sam wondered, with some doubt.

"I think they've got over each other. They've had their fun and found out what it would be like, and that's that. There's nothing for you or me to worry about. Besides," Pippin's grin reappeared, "as long as I can keep Merry jealous, he has to admit he cares enough not to let me go. He was wild over my flirting with Hy Bunce this last spring, and you see how he is now about Di."

"You mean," Sam sputtered, "you're doing this deliberately?"

"That's right." Pippin's grin grew broader. "It's a good idea, don't you think?"

"And you and that Miss Diantha--there's nothing in it?"

"Absolutely nothing," Pippin confirmed. "Not the way you mean. Di's a friend, that's all. She's good fun. She understands how it is with me and Merry, so she's happy to help."

"She won't be led along? She'll help you keep 'm jealous, and won't expect to get married in the end?"

"Oh, no. Di doesn't want to marry anybody, even more than I don't!"

"If that's what you're up to, Pippin, you better be careful you don't go too far with it," Sam warned him.

"I won't. I don't want to drive poor Merry off. Mind you, if it comes to it and I have to marry somebody, there's nobody else I'd rather be married to. No other girl, I mean. At least we'd have fun." Pippin laughed. "And Mother and Aunt Di can't stand her. Just think how it'd annoy them, and make 'em sorry they ever tried to push any girl at me!"

"You can't get married for a prank, Pippin Took," Sam said sternly. "Call it fun if you like, but it'll be worse for you'n anybody else. Don't think you can share yourself 'tween two people. It won't work. One way or another, you have to pick one of 'em over the other, no matter how you feel. Somebody's bound to get hurt."

Pippin stared at him. Sam had never spoken so frankly about his arrangement with Frodo and Rosie before. "I won't do anything stupid, Sam," he said seriously. "More than I can help. Have you told Frodo how you feel?"

"No, and I won't," said Sam. "Mind you don't either. He's not to know. But mind you don't get yourself into the same fix."