The North-Thain's Murder by Kathryn Ramage

Pippin stayed to wait with Isigo, while Frodo returned to the Thain's Hall alone. Little had changed since he'd stolen out to the cottage barely half an hour earlier, except that the Thain's family had moved to the parlor, where they could sit comfortably while they expressed their amazement and delight at Lady Iris's departure. Some of them were only now beginning to wonder why the lady had gone so suddenly.

"There must be something behind it," Frodo heard Diamanta say as he went past the open door to the parlor on his way to Brabantius's study. "Mark my words, it can't be merely an attachment to Florisel Pumble-Took that took her off like that, without a word. She might've done that any time she pleased. If Frodo Baggins were half the detective he claims to be-"

Not wishing to hear his reputation abused any further, Frodo went on. He had no desire to tell them why Iris had departed so abruptly. Let them guess all they liked. Would he tell the Thain? Perhaps it would help the elderly hobbit to bear the loss if he knew why his wife had left him. Or perhaps the truth would only make it worse.

The door to Brabantius's study was shut, and he tapped on it gently.

The Thain snapped, "What is it?" But his expression brightened when Frodo peeked in. "Ah, Mr. Baggins, it's you. I thought it must be one of my children, eager to offer their heart-felt commiserations. Do come in, please. I was hoping to see you again before your and your friends left."

"I wouldn't have gone without saying good-bye," Frodo responded as he closed the door behind him. "And there are one or two things I wanted to talk to you about."

"I never thanked you for the service you've done me, even if it hasn't come out as I expected," Brabantius told him. "I saw the danger before me and imagined it might come from any one of a number of people close to me, but didn't guess it was the one I trusted most implicitly."

"I am very sorry about Tulipant's death, sir. I might've prevented it, if I'd seen the truth a little sooner."

"You did your best, Mr. Baggins. She left me a note, did you know?" Brabantius took it from the pocket of his waistcoat and gave it to Frodo. "I found it in her room, when I went to see. She says she's terribly sorry, but she can't bear any more. My household has been torn apart over her, and recent events have shown her that the rift can never be mended. She can't continue to live among my family when they despise her so much, and the best thing she can do is take herself away and hope I will forgive her."

Frodo read the note while the Thain was speaking; Lady Iris's written words were more effusive, but Brabantius had summed them up accurately.

"She doesn't say it's because they've openly accused her of trying to poison me, but that's what she means," Brabantius concluded. "Yes, I know all about that. My daughters-in-law never can keep their mouths shut, especially when they have something vicious to say. But, my dear Mr. Baggins, they were right, weren't they?"

"I believe so," Frodo admitted as he returned the note. He told Brabantius what Jeddy had told him, and what he'd said to Iris that morning. "She confessed to nothing and it can't be proved, but I felt sure even as I spoke to her that my ideas were correct. An innocent woman wouldn't have responded to such terrible accusations the way she did. She would have at least slapped my face, or made me bring my accusations to you and have them discredited. Instead, her flight so soon after I warned her that I was going to tell you looks... well, like a confirmation of all my suspicious."

Like Tulipant, Frodo was afraid that this betrayal would break the Thain's heart, but since Brabantius had already come to suspect it for himself, he took it rather well.

"Indeed it does," he agreed grimly. "Tell me, was Florisel part of this plot?"

"I don't know," Frodo said. "He's loved her for years."

"Well, yes, that's always been obvious. I might've thought more of it if I'd seen any sign that she returned his feelings. Since Iris was so much younger than I, I thought it'd be selfish to deny her her admirer."

"If it's any comfort to you, sir, I think it unlikely that he was aware of what Lady Iris was doing beforehand. He might've suspected it when you fell ill, and it's my opinion he guessed the truth once he heard you were behaving oddly and might be ill again, and came dashing down here to find out what was going on. He wanted to know what my investigation had turned up, if I had any reason to suspect Lady Iris, and he did his best to protect her. He was the one who brought it to my attention that no one, especially she, could've entered your study when the decanter was there, since the fact had escaped my notice before. She told him to tell me--he even admitted to that. He must've known then. He's certainly a fool if he didn't see the truth when he agreed to take her away from here on such short notice."

"Oh, he's a fool," said the Thain. "But wasn't I as well? A pretty woman can charm you into believing anything she says. Oh, I was never foolish enough to believe that she loved me as my first wife did, but I thought we had a mutual affection, and that she was grateful for all I could do for her..." He lapsed into a gloomy silence and, as he had that morning at Tulipant's death, looked very old and weary. Then he sighed. "So she and Florisel have flown off together. I wish them joy of each other, and hope that Florisel does not eat anything my wife prepares for him."

"They've only been gone a few hours, sir, and can't have gotten very far," said Frodo. "They might still be within the Cleeve. Will you send someone to catch them?"

"No." Brabantius shook his head. "I've no desire to see Iris again, even if it's to see her punished. I want her as far from me as possible. To bring her back and accuse her would only create a scandal of the worst kind. Besides, I'd never hear the end of it from my family. Diamanta will be insufferable if she learns she was right. No--I can bear anything but that. She and Aspid must be content to gloat over Iris's flight. Let them think it was Tulipant... my poor Tulipant. Where will I find a new butler? And a new cook too. I will also need a new agent for my lands in the north Cleeve."

"What about Isigo?" suggested Frodo.

"Isigo?"

"He hasn't flown with them. He's at the cottage, since he knew he couldn't stay on here. I told him you might still aid him. Will you? It would be a way for you to stand by him, but not have him in the midst of your family, who are going to be hard on him. I'm convinced he knew nothing of his mother's plots. He's very young, but I think you'll find him responsible and eager to please." Also, when Isigo brought the rents, he would have chance to come to the Thain's Hall and see Diamond. Why shouldn't Frodo play matchmaker too? The girl had taken enough interest in Isigo to know where he'd gone and try to help--perhaps a match could be arranged while the Thain still lived and had the will to convince Diamond's parents that Isigo was acceptable.

The Thain nodded. "I've always been fond of him. He's a good lad. If you will tell him to come to me, I shall have a word with him. My family won't like it, but they'll have to put up with it." A sudden thought occurred to him. "The rest of the Thain's Own wine, it will have to be poured out, won't it?"

"I'm afraid so, sir. I don't know if that one bottle was the only one poisoned. There might be more."

"Yes, you're right. I suppose it's for the best. I will never be able to enjoy the taste of it again, and we can't have Alhasrus or Ulfidius poisoned from another bottle in years to come."




Isigo came back to the Hall with Frodo and Pippin and was now in the Brabantius's study, arranging his future. The four hobbits from the south were ready to leave. It was late afternoon and they couldn't expect to get far before nightfall, but they were eager to be on their way homeward and, with the disappearance of the cook, it would be inconvenient for them to stay on for dinner. They were all well aware that the Tooks would rather not have them here another night. After they'd made their farewells to the Thain's family and received heart-felt wishes for a swift journey, they spoke to Alamaric and Diantha in the lane before the two houses.

"Perhaps we ought to wait and see if they work things out," said Pippin. "Isigo might want to come with us after all."

"Don't worry about Isigo. Even if Uncle Brabantius won't help him, I'll look after the lad," Alamaric promised. "I know it's going to be difficult for him here, with his mother gone to who-knows where, and knowing... well, I have to wonder if Diamanta hasn't got hold of something when she says there's more to it than a couple of lovers running off together. It's all quite remarkably odd, and very mysterious. But I don't suppose you'll tell us about it, will you, Frodo?"

"I can't," said Frodo, since the Thain had made it clear that he didn't want the truth known to his family. "Perhaps Brabantius will tell you himself, one day." But when Alamaric nodded, Frodo could see that the elder hobbit understood it all without being told.

"I'm afraid my poor uncle mayn't have many days left," Alamaric said sadly. "He's come through the danger safely, but this experience has all been awfully hard on him. First the poisoning, then Tulipant's death, and now Iris..." He shook his head. "Who would've guessed she'd do such a thing? She always seemed like such an amiable and warm-hearted woman."

"It's Uncle Flori I'm surprised about," said Di, misunderstanding her father. "Love makes people so stupid sometimes. All the same, I'm going to miss him. I liked him so much. I'll be happy if I never have to be in another investigation, not if this is the way they turn out."

"You get used to it," Pippin told her. "It isn't so bad when it's nobody you care about."

"Well, I found it interesting to play a- ah- part in your investigation," said Alamaric. "I hope you'll come to visit us in the Long Cleeve someday, under happier circumstances. I know that my daughter would be glad to see you again, Pippin."

Pippin said he'd be happy to see them both again too. Di hugged him in farewell, although she was more restrained in her farewells to the other three. The foursome mounted their ponies and rode away.

They'd gone through the narrow southward passage out of the Cleeve and were on the road toward home before Sam said, "Will we go back?"

"You won't have to, Sam," Frodo assured him. "But I must admit I'll be curious to learn how things turn out for Brabantius and his family."

"You'll go back, won't you, Pip?" said Merry. "You'll want to see Diantha again."

"I was just being polite," Pippin answered. "I do like her, Merry, but I won't marry Di or anybody unless you approve. I promised you so just last night, didn't I?"

"Yes, you did," Merry said rather smugly. "I just wanted to be sure you didn't forget it."