The North-Thain's Murder by Kathryn Ramage

At dinner-time, the Thain emerged from his study to join his family and their guests at the table. This was a surprise to the North-Tooks, who hadn't seen Brabantius at a meal in weeks. In light of what Frodo had told them, they were all eager to hear what the Thain had to say. Could such a thing be true?

"I'm afraid it is," Thain Brabantius confirmed. He waited until the others had begun their soup before he began to eat his. "It's time for you all to learn the truth. I only waited to consult the advice of a professional before I made it known. You see, there has been a reason behind my odd behavior of late. There is no doubt in my mind that I have been poisoned."

Once the ugly word had been spoken aloud, shocked cries and exclamations of disbelief went up around the dinner table. The ladies fluttered, and more than one hobbit put down their soup spoons, appetites suddenly gone.

"But how can that be, Father?" demanded Alamargo. "Who would do such a thing?"

"That is what I hope Mr. Baggins will find out." Brabantius looked at his family around the table. "If you truly mean well by me, my dears, you will indulge an old hobbit and give Mr. Baggins and his companions every assistance in finding the truth." The Thain was no longer frightened; he meant what he said, and his family knew it. Any further protests would look too suspicious. Like it or not, they must cooperate.

After dinner, the four guests were shown to their rooms. Lady Iris might act as their official hostess, but it seemed more likely that Diamanta had made the bedroom arrangements: While Sam's room, with no window, lay directly across from Frodo's, and Merry's was next door, Pippin's was in another part of the house entirely.

"Goodness knows where they've hidden him," Merry reported when he joined Frodo in his room after trying unsuccessfully to locate Pippin. "I've been all up and down this tunnel, knocking on every door, and the only other person up this way is Isigo, which shows how they feel about him as well as us."

"Perhaps they've put Pippin in one of the family rooms," Frodo mused. While his cousin sat perched on his bed, he unpacked and put away his clothes away in the wardrobe. "He is a Took."

"And we're merely distant relations, not to mention disreputable investigators. They know we're only going to bring trouble."

"The trouble was already here, dear Merry. We're only going to dig it up."

"They won't like us any better for that," Merry responded.

"I know, but it is my profession... and yours too, if you'll join me."

Merry grinned. "I wouldn't have come all this way if I didn't intend to."

There was a knock on door, and Sam peeked in. He wasn't happy to see Merry there ahead of him, but he only said, "I came to see if you wanted any help putting things away proper, Frodo. And I thought as you might want to tell us what you want us to do about his Thainship and this poisoning."

"I've finished my unpacking, Sam, thank you, but do come in." Frodo shut the drawers at the bottom of the wardrobe. Still crouched on the floor, he gestured to invite his friend to have a seat on the bed beside Merry. "I am going to need your help. The two of you and Pip were sitting with the family all the time I was talking to the Thain. You've seen more of them. What can you tell me about them?"

"Nothing that you haven't already seen for yourself," answered Merry.

Frodo nodded. "The North-Tooks disapprove of the Thain's new wife."

"Can't abide her ladyship, is more like," Sam added, "nor her son either. If you was to ask me, I'd say none of 'em likes her, but it's Missus Diamanta who's got her nose most pushed out of joint by the other lady."

"Yes, that's so. She feels Lady Iris has usurped her rightful place as mistress of the household," said Frodo, and sank back thoughtfully to sit on his heels. "I wish we knew more about the others. That'll be a job for all of us. I can't make a list of suspects until I know everyone better."

"Who had the best opportunity? Did you find anything in the wine cellar, Frodo?" Merry asked him.

Frodo was just beginning to tell them what Tulipant had told him about the keys, when there was another tap on the door. They all expected that it was the missing Pippin, come to join their conference, but when Frodo asked, "Who is it?" a woman's voice replied.

"It's Diamanta, dear. May I come in?"

"Yes, of course, Auntie," Frodo replied, rising to answer the door and throwing a quizzical glance at his friends, who were just as surprised.

Diamanta had not come alone; with her was her sister-in-law Aspid. The ladies seemed nonplussed to find Merry and Sam also there. "I beg your pardon," said Diamanta. "We wanted to speak to you, Frodo, before you went to bed. I hope we haven't interrupted."

"It's quite all right, Aunt," Frodo answered. "My friends and I are only discussing the- ah- case." Normally, he would insist that his companions stay to hear what Diamanta and Aspid had to say--he would tell them what the ladies had said in any case--but these two visitors were more likely to speak their minds to him without an audience present. His friends took the hint, and rose to leave.

"You boys are comfortable here, I trust," Diamanta said as Merry and Sam exited.

"Very comfortable, Aunt Di," said Merry. "We feel almost at home. You haven't seen Pippin, by the way, have you? I've looked all over for him."

"Pippin?" Aspid echoed, puzzled. "Do you mean your friend, Peregrin? He's in the room next to my sons." Diamanta said nothing, but looked as if she wished that her sister-in-law hadn't answered the question.

"Thank you!" Merry smiled and bowed to her, and went off to find Pippin.

"What can I do for you?" Frodo asked once his friends had gone. The ladies had come into his room and shut the door, though they did not sit down.

"Your 'case' is just what we've come to talk about," Diamanta answered. "We believe we can help you, and help Father Brabantius as well. Aspid and I have discussed this terrible matter between ourselves. It's a horrible thing to contemplate, but we both feel that Father Brabantius may be right in his worst suspicions."

"His illness did come on so suddenly," Aspid added. "Although, of course, we had no idea at that time that it was anything but the usual sort of illness an elderly hobbit might suffer from."

"No idea whatsoever!" agreed Diamanta. "But, if he is right and his illness was the result of poison, then only one person could have done it."

"Yes?" Frodo prompted, although he could guess what she was about to say.

"Lady Iris, of course," Diamanta answered with a mild note of scorn, as if she didn't think much of Frodo's investigative skill if he hadn't already come to the same conclusion. "Surely you see that. There was never anything wrong in this house before she came into it."

"It's obvious she married him for his money and the prestige of being a Thain's lady," said Aspid. "But, if that wasn't enough, she wants to put her poor old husband out of the way as quickly as possible. She can't even wait for him to die a natural and peaceful death in his own good time, as he has every right to do."

"If he'd wanted peace, he would never have married again," said Diamanta, "and not so impetuously to a totally inappropriate woman. I admit I have never thought well of her, but this surpasses my worst imaginings."

"And I feel sure that son of hers has a part in it," added Aspid. "So you see, you must speak to Father Brabantius about them, to warn him."

"If you're as clever a hobbit as your reputation would have it," said Diamanta, "you can surely make him see the truth."

"I can't make unfounded accusations against anyone," Frodo told them patiently. "Before I speak to Thain Brabantius, I must have proof. And, you know, it might not be Lady Iris at all."

"Nonsense!" responded Diamanta. "Don't be absurd! Who else could wish to do such a thing? What reason could they have? Mark my words, Frodo Baggins, it is she and no one else."