Steady Footing by Rach

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Story notes: My first lotr fic, eek! be gentle if you send feedback which I would love! *grin*
The silk sheets covering Legolas were so light that they fluttered with breath that passed his lips. His eye lids lingered closed although he was not near sleep. He heard noises in the night but ignored them. He knew he was safe where he slept, inside the borders of this forest.

The sheets pulled back and a figure sunk into the mattress next to Legolas. He turned quickly and sat up leaning against the head of the bed. He pulled the sheets so they collected around his waist. He was so graceful it looked natural for him to do such a thing, others would have fumbled.

It was Aragorn. He followed Legolas with his eyes but did not move. He rested on his back letting the starlight break through the branches and glitter his face.

"I wear nothing but a thin cloth around my waist Aragorn." Legolas relaxed a bit but searched the brush around his sleeping quarters to spot anyone else.

"I have seen you with far more bare Legolas." He tilted his head so he could make eye contact but did not move the rest of his body. "It is cold, share the sheets with me. Will you Legolas?" He moved his hand to rest on top of Legolas's that clutched the sheets around his waist.

"Just anyone could spot you here Aragorn. Why do you do such things?" He let Aragorn stroke his hand but made no move to share the sheets.

"And why do I hear such shame in your voice?" Aragorn sat up and moved to sit nearer to Legolas. He sat very near. They touched from shoulder to waist. Legolas loosened his grip on the sheets and let Aragorn warm up with them.

"I suppose my voice is shamed." Legolas nearly whispered words as he looked out into the woods. They were beautiful and so was Aragorn. The starlight scattered upon him was too much for Legolas. He refused to give the slightest glance.

"Is your voice sorrowed as well, or is this just your eyes." Aragorn saw the sadness in Legolas. He was mournful of Gandalf's fall into shadow. His eyes were still slightly bloodshot from tears.

"The whole of me in sorrowed Aragorn, as it should be. Is this not natural?" He took the chance of looking into Aragorn eyes, giving himself away.

"It is more then natural Legolas. But I see more then Gandalf in your thoughts. Share with me, as you used to." He smiled at Legolas and caressed his face before tucking some of his golden hair behind his ear.

"You speak to Boromir as once you spoke to me. Do you still feel for me as you once did?" Legolas complied to Aragorn's request as Aragorn had not expected it. Surprise spread across the face of Aragorn.

"How can you think such things my Legolas? Is it not your opinion that I respect? Are you not the one who occupies my every thought? Are you..." He moved his face close to Legolas's, and innocence defeated the surprise upon his skin.

"How am I to know? The things you speak of are secrets with yourself." Aragorn closed his eyes and pulled Legolas to him for a kiss. It was deep. Legolas allowed this and held onto Aragorn's wrist to keep from crumbling.

"Know now, Legolas. If never knowing before. Know now." He sat upright once again, beside Legolas who was now silent and trusting of Aragorn. "I came to tell you... Arwen. She, she has given to me her immortality."

"Do not think me fool enough not to know this." He spoke calmly. His voice didn't let Aragorn onto any of his thinkings now.

"This you have known, but not spoken about?" He looked to Legolas for explanation.

"No more then you." He returned Aragorn's stare with ease, and a playful look in his eye.

"What do you say about it?" Aragorn's eye brows lowered into concentration.

"I say farewell. Although I long to cast the situation aside, never could I compete with such an offer."

"But you could Legolas! Just speak the words and I will return it to her! I will do this for you!"

"You cannot do this for me. I will not let you. She has sacrificed, now so must I." Aragorn clutched to Legolas's hands as though he was falling. He pulled them to his chest. Why must Legolas be so right?

"Feel my heart. What do you feel there?" Legolas was like a higher being. He looked down upon the nearly sobbing Aragorn, whose hands covered Legolas's on his chest.

"You have two hearts Strider." He spoke the name crudely, for it is the name given to Aragorn by those who do not know him, and he felt as though this may be true for him. "One of them is mine."



I sleep but not alone
Steady footing
You're not alone
Giving you away
Gracefully falling away
Falling on a leap year
Lingers on my lips
Starve for you