Tell Me the Tale by Ezras Persian Kitty

Glorfindel and Erestor did not break the hold of their hands on the trek to the castle. They walked slowly, content in the terrible silence between them as the gritty sand beneath their feet became soft grass became sun-warmed stone. The Gulf of Lhun sang with the sounds of the Sea, but they turned to the old castle and mounted the high steps and passed through the great wooden doors. Here, the stones were cool beneath their aching feet, but they did not stop.

Glorfindel led the way up the stairs and down the long corridors until they reached a suite. Then, they broke the link of their hands and opened the tall, dark double doors and passed into the wide chamber. "This is to be our home," the golden Lord said, "Until I return to Gondolin, before the season is done."

Erestor nodded. "Yes, my Lord."

"Please call me Glorfindel."

"Yes, Glorfindel."

The suite was a cheery room with a large fireplace and several comfortable bits of furniture lying about and a severe desk in the corner. Glorfindel gestured to the left. "Your room is through those doors." He pointed right. "This is my chamber."

Erestor nodded.

"I believe all your things have already been brought, as have mine."

"Okay."

They stood in the room in silence.

They glanced at one another.

And then quickly looked away.

"I did not approve of this match," Glorfindel urged himself to say. "You are too young."

Erestor nodded. "I would not change my age to suit the whims of others, even if I could," Erestor told him. "But as it is, we are both here to fulfill a duty. And I am willing to do my part, as I hope you are."

Glorfindel stood speechless a moment. "Well spoke." He looked about the room in thought. Then he began to wander, touching the various chairs and books as the ring on his finger glinted in the sunlight from the tall windows. It was obvious he was a very tactile person. "Tell me of yourself, Erestor, that I might better know you."

"I was raised as a son of the King in a noble land and have pursued the knowledge of books all my life, though given a sword or lute, I do believe I could hold my own, though not against one such as you. When Legolas came to me telling me of our betrothal, I did not quite know what to think. I still do not know what is expected of me, my Lord."

"Glorfindel," the Lord corrected. "I don't suppose I do either. If we were to ask the Council, they might tell us all our duties are now fulfilled." Finally, Glorfindel turned to him. "I do not wish to tie you to me, Erestor. Consider yourself free to do with your life as you will. Go back home to Mirkwood with your family and your books. I do not want you to consider yourself bound to my will."

"But I am tied to you," Erestor softly protested. "I feel it in my blood, and now I wonder if you do as well."

Blue eyes blinked, meeting shining black pools. "I feel it," Glorfindel whispered.

"And thus we are bound." Erestor met his eyes calmly and did not turn away. "This is the way it is now. And I would not willingly be parted from you. With your allowance, I would follow you to Gondolin and do right by you, my Lord."

"Glorfindel."

"Glorfindel. I do not want to burden you. But I write a fine hand and have a head for languages. I could be useful to you Gondolin. Besides, it would not be seemly for me to do otherwise. We are considered married," Erestor told him, as if he needed reminding.

Glorfindel did not break the contact of their eyes. "You would not be a burden to me, Erestor. Consider yourself welcome in my home when we arrive."

"And in your life?" Erestor cautiously asked. "Am I welcome there as well?"

"Aye," Glorfindel answered. "My bonded one shall always be welcome in my life."




"Okay," said Elrohir, oblivious to the heavy weight wearing down the Counselor. "Then what?"

Erestor turned to the young Peredhel, his dark eyes pained. "Go ask Glorfindel, Elrohir. I am too weary for more storytelling."

Elrohir stood. "Okay. And . . . thank you, Erestor." The young Elf turned to go, but then he halted and turned back. "Did you ever stop calling him 'my lord?'"

Erestor sadly smiled and only then did Elrohir notice the wealth of sorrow in those deep eyes. "No."




"Glorfindel! Glorfindel!"

A golden head popped up from behind the door to Asfaloth's stall. "Elrohir, why what is the matter, boy?"

"You and Erestor!" Elrohir answered, sprinting up the empty aisle of the stables. "Papa and Legolas told me of your wedding, and then Erestor said..."

Glorfindel listened wide-eyed as the youth went on. Tears gathered in his deep blue eyes and Glorfindel surreptitiously wiped them away. Elrohir had ceased his tale. "I'm sorry, Elrohir, what?"

"I want to know what happened after that."

"Oh, I see."

"Will you tell me?"

"I suppose so."





Glorfindel and Erestor lived in the castle at Forlond for three months in relative peace. They edged around one another warily throughout the days and their nights were lonely.

One day, Glorfindel spoke to Erestor. The young Elf was in his room, sitting at a finely appointed desk perpendicular to a large window that looked out to the sea. Glorfindel stood opposite the desk. And he spoke. Erestor's eyes widened a little more at every word when his mate addressed him: "Erestor. If you want to seek out a lover, then by all means, consider yourself free to do so. . . .Unless you already have one. In which case . . . carry on."

Erestor stared, dumbfounded. "But . . ."

"We are wed, I know," Glorfindel said with only a small amount of exasperation. "But you and I are hardly matched for anything more than companionship in our lives and I would deny you neither pleasure nor love in your life."

Erestor stood from his seat and answered with what Glorfindel was becoming sure was his usual detached wisdom, "I appreciate the sentiment, my Lord." Glorfindel had not yet broken Erestor of the habit of addressing him thusly. "But I have no wish to pursue love or pleasure; I have never desired either and I doubt I ever will. And also, I am an Elf of my word." He held his left hand just a little higher, turning it so the sun's light glinted off the mithril band. "As long as I wear your ring, I shall not betray my oath to you."

Once again, Glorfindel was struck speechless, a far too common occurrence when it came to his young spouse.

Erestor again sat himself in his chair, always graceful and ever elegant in his movements. He took up his quill once more, but his eyes sought Glorfindel's when he spoke again. "As for love and pleasure, do not look to me to deny you. You are free, my Lord, to do as you will, if indeed it is my place to give such freedom."

Glorfindel stared, dumbfounded.

Erestor returned to his work, ignorant of the eloquent and profound words he had preached. When Glorfindel spoke, Erestor watched the golden Lord carefully. "I would honor you no less than you honor me." He was all professionalism now, his posture tall and proud, his voice calm and distant, his eyes focused somewhere over Erestor's left shoulder. "I shall hold your ring as precious as you hold mine, and never betray the bonds of love and trust we swore. Good day."

If Erestor made any reaction, Glorfindel could not know what it was, as the golden Lord turned on his heel and left.




"And after that? What happened after that?"

Glorfindel sighed and dropped his head to his hand. "Go ask your father."




"Dad!" Elrohir knocked fervently on his father's office door. "Dad! Can I come in?!"

"Come," Elrond said curiously.

Elrohir burst in, unsurprised to find Legolas seated across from Elrond. "Good!" said Elrohir, immediately taking a chair. "So they got married. And what was happening between them? I mean what was really going on?"

Elrond and Legolas exchanged a look.