Tell Me the Tale by Ezras Persian Kitty

It was the bond that returned Glorfindel to life. From that moment Gondolin was finished. There was nothing left to return to or to fix. The land had been beaten and its people killed and chased away. There were others who needed help in the world, without rebuilding the land of cliffs and rivers and meadows.

And though the political scheming that had wed them was now purposeless, Glorfindel and Erestor never parted company again. They remained steadfast companions, joining the Alliance of Elves and Men under Gil-galad's command and reuniting with their old friend Elrond. And when Elrond was wed, they stood beside him, and when he left to found a haven in Imladris, they went with him. Glorfindel became his Captain and Erestor his Counselor. For they were wise in the ruling of a land, but wanted no more the title of Lord, though they could never truly be rid of such names.

Erestor never grew distant from Legolas, even if they saw one another rarely. And Glorfindel, Erestor, and Elrond grew close as any friends could be. They supported one another and were all extremely protective of Elrond's new family.

But the years had passed and though Gondolin had not been forgotten, other deeds were, and the marriage of Glorfindel and Erestor was little more than a history note in the backs of the minds of those who had witnessed it.

Until Elrond's young son, not truly so young anymore, became curious of the tale.

And now it is told.




"That's it?" Elrohir asked, disbelieving. "But what about—"

"Elrohir," Elrond interrupted, standing abruptly from his chair. "Go to the kitchens. We are all of us here and no one is supervising the cooks on the day of Equinox."

Elrohir did not sulk, even if he wanted to. "All right. I will go."

And he left them, looking back over his shoulder as he went.

Legolas looked to Erestor. "That is quite a story, my friends. And I think Elrohir is now the only one to know all of it."

"Perhaps I will tell you what you want to know one day," Erestor answered him, standing from his chair. "But not this day. I am wearied by more than I can say. Elrond, I regret that I cannot attend your Spring Feast tonight. I will see you all in the morning."

Robes whispered on the floor as Erestor left them.

Legolas looked at Elrond looked at Glorfindel. "Well?" demanded the half-Elf after enough time had passed. "Aren't you going to follow him?"

Glorfindel blinked. "You always were too smart for your own good, Elrond." He stood and turned for the door.

"Tell him," said Legolas. "You're long overdue, both of you."

Glorfindel could think of no response, except to slam the door lightly behind him.




Glorfindel went to his own rooms and passed through the door that connected Erestor's chamber to his. The Chief Counselor sat at the window on a raised window seat, his legs tucked up before him, his arms wrapped loosely about his knees. His hair still fell in miserable tangles about his shoulders, though soft it undeniably was, and his dark robes were gathered around him in falling waves of the deepest blue. Shining brown eyes watched the trees and the birds beyond the glass of his high window and tear tracks stained the pale face.

Glorfindel stood uncertain before the tapestry that had fallen back into place behind him. The greens of the woven art silhouetted him like a gray-clad hunter in a forest before he stepped haltingly forth, as if uncertain if he were welcome. His own hair was not fit to be seen and hung in loosely tangled waves about his flushing face. "Erestor," his voice was ever his clear, ringing tenor. Beautiful. "Why have you wept?"

In a graceless move of timidity, Erestor wiped at his cheek with the back of his hand. "I always weep this day."

"You have hidden it well."

Erestor made no answer, but when Glorfindel approached, he tucked his legs further up in silent invitation. Glorfindel sat upon the seat, looking at Erestor.

The golden Lord reached out for Erestor's left hand. They both trembled and Erestor's hand was cool in Glorfindel's warmer one. "We never did take these off," he observed, stroking the mithril ring on Erestor's long finger.

"I never had any wish to," Erestor told him.

"Odd, is it not," Glorfindel suggested, "that we have kept oaths no longer needed, nor indeed remembered? Odd that we should remain bound to one another when we are not in love."

"Odd indeed," Erestor agreed, but his voice was choked and for the first time in his life, Glorfindel witnessed tears spilling from deep brown eyes.

"Erestor?"

"Odd that you should not see what has always been before you," Erestor told him through his tears.

"What?" Glorfindel begged with confusion.

"Me," Erestor answered. Now, he returned Glorfindel's grip, taking the strong warrior's hand in both of his own. He brought that hand to his lips and kissed Glorfindel's wedding ring. "From the moment I saw you beneath the canopy of our handfasting I have loved you. I often thought it was the magic of the mallorn blossoms that affected me, or your incomparable beauty, or Galadriel's charming words. But I could only fool myself for so long. I stood beneath the canopy and wore your ring and you kissed me. And I loved you. We walked to the sea and we bound ourselves for eternity and I loved you. We walked to the castle and we lived in wary comfort and I loved you. We lived and fought and you died and returned to me, and we battled the evils of the world and I stayed at your side and I loved you. And Elrohir came to me today with his questions and as I long as I have hidden it, I no longer can. I love you."

Unbidden, tears spilled from Glorfindel's sky-blue eyes. "Then it is well that I love you," he replied. "Although in my foolish pride I never dreamt I would love one forced upon me. Or that he would return that love. Or that I would ever be so brave as to admit it."

Erestor broke the grip of their hands and he covered his handsome face, turning away and laughing into his beautiful, long-fingered hands.

"Erestor?"

The dark Counselor pried himself out of his corner and stood. He spun about and looked to the ceiling and he laughed. He undid the clasp of his office robes and threw them aside.

"Um, Erestor, what are you doing?" Glorfindel licked his lips.

Erestor grinned wickedly and he slowly undid the tiny pearl buttons at his throat, working them loose all the way down his white under tunic. "My blood . . ." he told Glorfindel, "is your blood." He let the tunic fall. "My flesh is your flesh." He pulled off trousers and slippers until he stood naked. "My body is your body."

"Erestor, I think you are trying to seduce me."

Outside the birds were singing, but they did not hear it. Outside, the flowers were blooming, but they did not smell it. Outside the sun was shining, but they did not see it.

They saw only one another. For a moment in time, they were the only two people in the world.

Erestor raised a brow. "Trying?"

Glorfindel growled and stood. He rushed toward the other and enfolded Erestor in a strong embrace, seeking his lips for a proper kiss, full of heat and power and clashing teeth and awkward clumsiness. Oh, and there were eager, groping hands – maybe a little over exuberant as they left bruises behind them – but it was still perfect.

Glorfindel pulled back and framed Erestor's happy face with his large hands. "My heart is your heart, Erestor."

Erestor took those large hands in his own and brought them down between them. The Counselor leaned forward, standing on his toes, to bestow the softest of kisses on Glorfindel's bruised lips.

They smiled.

Erestor wrapped his lean arms about Glorfindel's neck and met his lips again, seeking closer contact.

Glorfindel eagerly granted him this and let his hands wander freely over bared flesh, flushing now with heat and pleasure.

Then Glorfindel broke the kiss and pulled away, and with a smirk and a laugh, he scooped Erestor up into his arms.

Erestor whooped at the indignity, but his howls soon turned to ringing laughter as Glorfindel fixed his grip under pale pink knees and strong shoulders and he twirled about with Erestor in his arms.

Then he strode across the room and threw Erestor onto the bed.

The younger Elf laughed as he bounced on the feather mattress.

His laughter quieted as he watched Glorfindel, who stood beside the bed, removing his clothes as fast as he could manage, baring an abundance of smooth, golden flesh over strong muscles. One of Erestor's thoughts when he first saw Glorfindel came echoing back to him: big all over. That was for sure.

Erestor shivered when Glorfindel tossed aside the last of his garments and knelt on the edge of the bed, crawling toward him, those impossible muscles rolling under the golden skin in sinuous slow movements.

The dark Elf remained motionless as Glorfindel crawled right atop him, golden hair dragging across the flushing skin, and he looked straight down into wide, brown eyes swiftly growing black with desire. "We are one," Glorfindel said, nearly breathless. "I could have chosen none better to share my life."

"And now your bed?" Erestor asked, his ancient eyes hopeful.

Glorfindel smiled. "Yes."




"Elrohir!"

The young Peredhel jumped when he father hissed his name.

"Come away from there this instant!" Elrond demanded in a whisper. Legolas stood behind Elrond, covering his not-so-princely smile with an elegant hand.

Elrohir slunk away from Erestor's door and toward the pair of Elves. "I just wanted to make sure they were all right," he told them in a defensive whisper.

"And are they?" Legolas asked, his eyes laughing.

Elrohir smirked. "I should think they are well beyond 'all right.'"

Howls from beyond the door backed this answer and Elrond dragged his son away.

Legolas watched them go. Once Elrond and Elrohir rounded the distant corner, Legolas crept up to Erestor's room to lay his pointed ear against the door and smile.