Mission by Ninienna

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
"They took me to their side?
And gave me back my life?
Blew the sounds into my ears?
And lit the light on my path??
And they sang me my song?
While they told me all the tales?
Then they showed me my mission
?And I heard him whisper my name."



Trying to open his eyes slowly, Glorfindel could sense that something was wrong, terribly wrong, though he couldn't put his finger on it. Suddenly he realized. He couldn't remember anything...He couldn't remember! Who am I?! Where am I?! His mind almost burst, yet he couldn't find the voice to scream out.

"Welcome to my halls the brave one! I'm Mandos. Let me guide you through my realm!"

"What's this voice in my head? Am I? No, it couldn't be! Am I, Am I dead?" He whispered to himself. And suddenly all memories flood him.

Gondolin! His friends...his king lying dead. Balrog...

"It's over now." He heard the voice again. "It's all over now."

"Oh, dear Nienna, you who weep over all of us. I don't wanna be dead...not yet."

"Don't worry, you're here only to witness some things. To learn... You were very brave and fought not for yourself so your life could be taken back. It's not the end of the span of your life, not necessarily... But I have to show you something, and someone..."

And he saw him. The lithe figure standing and staring into the presently rising sun. He stood turned his back to him and now he turned his head. He was dressed all black robes. "Is he mourning someone?" And his face...it wasn't bad, but it was like stoned.

"Like living dead." Thought Glorfindel. "But what I have to do with this one?"

"If you wanna be back so much, I'll grant you that." Said Nienna. "But only in one condition. You'll find this elf and help him back." He is alive, but he is mourning. All his life is but a one big mourn. However...he has much to do and his mission still to complete. You'll help him be back and I'll help you get there."

"You may agree, or refuse." She continued. "You may do this for the sake of the Arda or for the sake of yourself, or for his sake. Whatever you choose...or stay here and enjoy eternal blessing in Valinor and don't experience nor take part in any of that" He felt, that wondering smile crossed her face.

"Choose now."

But he already decided. He entered dark passage. The way guided down and then he opened his eyes. His new eyes.


Glorfindel spotted his friend strolling around the terrace again. How many times he witnessed it. Tiredness. Definitely too often he saw this expression gracing this beautiful face. Sometimes he was seriously afraid of his friend fading away. Yet he always kept on.

Elrond was tired, though not showing this to his fellow man and the household. He simply found it unnecessary. And, to be true of, not only unnecessary but (even more) inconvenient. So he kept it to himself.

Only brief moments like this... Well, he thought at least life owes this to him. This brief moments of breakdown, when he wasn't obliged to keep his face to get the party going on. It was always when he thought nobody could see him. Yet, someone observed.

Glorfindel sighed heavily. His chest invaded by the sadness radiating from his friend. Silently he approached Elrond from behind.

"Are you troubled by something?" "Can I help you?" - He asked.

"Oh...no, not at all." "I'm sorry I haven't noticed you." Elrond smiled heartily. You are sneaking so deftly you could stand behind my back in my own room and I couldn't notice you." He said giving another smile.

And Glorfindel smiled back, but he couldn't be cheated like this. He already noticed a little tint of sadness behind Elronds eyes before.

"You still grieve after her." It wasn't a question, but rather the statement.

"Yes, I do." "What can I do more? I take care of all of it." Elrond waved his hand around. "But I can't get over it. She was so sweet, so good and yet... You don't even know how much I miss her. Her touch, her voice..."

"You state I don't know...don't you know my own past? Do you really fancy I could not understand?" - He whispered.

"I'm sorry, I just..."

"She was weak, too weak for this world. She gave up too soon and that's that."

"And you think I'm stronger? That I can bear it? Why?"

"For your children, for me, for her and also for yourself." Answered his friend." Beside of this, you're never ever alone. You don't have to be." Glorfindel encircled his arms around his friend. "I'll be always by your side. We all'll be." He smiled placing light kiss on Elronds lips.

"I know." Elrond smiled, embracing him back. "I know and I'm more than thankful to you than you can imagine." And this time there wasn't any sadness in his eyes.

"I love you, my friend." He whispered. "And I know you do too."

"Hmm, of course I know." Glorfindel smiled back to him. "So let's use this time best we can here. We still have some things to do. Let's face it together."

And Elrond smiled back.

"Forevermore."