Celebration by Jai Marie

[Reviews - 0]

Printer

Table of Contents


- Text Size +
Diamond heard the clopping of the ponies' hooves long before Pippin apparently did, and swept out to the front of the Great Smials with baby Faramir on her hip and a broad smile on her face. The driver of the approaching wagon raised his arm with a greeting wave, as did his companion, and little Faramir screeched a hello of his own as his favorite "Auntie" and "Uncle" pulled up.

"I reckoned we'd never get going today!" Estella exclaimed as she began to slowly and carefully ease herself out of the cart. "Merry had a visit from some of the Big Folk he has dealings with, and they brought-- well, look at it!"

Merry chuckled at his wife's feigned indignance as he delicately settled her on the ground and made sure she was steady, then gave her a light kiss to the cheek and scurried around to open the tailgate of the cart. Diamond handed Faramir over to Estella to distract her from her flustered state and peered around back of the cart, just as Pippin came out. He gave an exclamation of delight at the crates of tomes and scrolls that were stacked in the back of the cart, and then rushed back indoors to bring out help to carry them into his study. Diamond tsked and shook her head, then walked over and took Estella's arm. "Come on, Sis," she said, using the familiar nickname she and Estella had given each other. "Let's have some tea and let the boys play."

"And play it is," Estella said with a sigh as she held Faramir with one arm, and Diamond's arm with the other, and walked slowly into the Great Smials.

Diamond took Estella into what had come to be known as her sewing room, although much more than sewing went on there. She considered it her little space to share with Estella, just as their husbands had their studies. Once Estella was comfortably seated on the small sofa that resided there, Diamond took up Faramir to take to his crib. "I'll be right back."

Estella nodded, although the way she fidgeted and wrung her hands when she didn't realize Diamond had glanced back over her shoulder at her was worrisome.

Faramir went to bed easily as always, and Diamond returned minutes later with a tray of tea and cakes. Estella still looked pensive, and after Diamond closed the door, she sat down next to her on the settee and took her hand. "Something's troubling you."

Diamond felt no need to beat around the bush, and she hoped that Estella would have expected nothing less of her, either. Being together as they had been for several years had developed a strong dynamic between them, one the likes of which Diamond had never had in her life before. Certainly she had sisters, whom she all loved and fiercely protected, but Estella was different. They had both been brought knowingly into this queer situation, yet at the same time were unprepared exactly for the emotional toll it would take upon them. Their husbands certainly cared for them--and even enjoyed their company--but their love was foremost reserved for each other, and not their wives. They performed their 'husbandly duties,' as was expected, but that was where it ended. Neither Diamond nor Estella expected any more, but that did not make the reality any less difficult.

Estella shifted a bit and sighed, then squeezed Diamond's hand. "It's happened," she whispered.

"Happened? It's--" Diamond's face then broke into a grin of realization. "Oh, Sis! I'm so happy for you!" She cupped Estella's face and kissed her lips softly. Estella returned the kiss almost desperately, but then broke away. "Estella? Is there more?" Diamond frowned.

"No, not really," Estella said. She then hesitated. "I haven't told Merry yet."

"Why ever not?" Diamond exclaimed. "I know he's been itching for an heir-- I think it's bothered him more that old Pip has something he didn't, but still! He'll be thrilled!"

"I know he will," Estella replied, and her voice sounded on the verge of tears. "I'm just afraid. Afraid I won't be able to carry a baby the full time. Because-- oh, Sis, you know!" She motioned angrily at herself, and dabbed her cheeks with her handkerchief.

"Oh," Diamond mouthed. Estella was what she Diamond had heard Saradoc Brandybuck lightly put at Merry and Estella's wedding, "delicate." She had nearly died from a fever when she was very young, and had been sickly ever since. She was weak and tired easily, and walked with a slight limp because the fever had thrown off her coordination. Sometimes she had trouble sleeping, and there were times when she would become a raging emotional mess, and during those times Merry would send for Diamond directly, for even he could not comfort his wife when she was in such a state. He did not begrudge her this, for both he and Pippin knew that just as theirs was a special relationship, so was their wives'.

Estella's condition had been no secret to Merry or anyone else in the Shire, and the marriage had shocked his family, since Estella would not be up to much of the strenuous housework and the extensive social calendar usually required of the wife of the future Master of Brandy Hall. But Merry was not to be swayed. Estella's prospects for marriage were null, and this had bothered Merry a great deal, both for the sake of his good friend Fredegar, and for Estella herself, for they had all been friends with the family. So Merry had wedded her with an arrangement similar to that of Pippin and Diamond, both for the sake of his love for Pippin and to take care of her--and take care of her he did, in the ways that he could. The others were left to Diamond, and she would not have it any other way.

"I had a horrible dream, Sis," Estella continued, her voice distraught. "I dreamt I was all great with this baby, and I went into labor, and when the midwife holds it up--" Estella broke into a harsh sob, and hid her face in her hands.

Diamond wrapped her arms around Estella and pulled her closer, rubbing her side and back reassuringly. "Hush now, it was just a dream," she soothed.

"But it was hideous!" Estella cried, shaking and breathing in harsh gulps. "All deformed and it made the most horrid sounds, and Merry was so angry and humiliated! What if my baby looks like that? What if it comes out all horrible because I'm sickly?"

"It won't," Diamond continued to soothe Estella, rocking her and nuzzling her temple. "Merry and I will take good care of you, and you'll have a healthy baby. There's no reason you shouldn't. Sis," Diamond gently cupped Estella's chin and forced her to look at her. Tears glimmered in her Estella's blue eyes, and she sniffled in a valiant attempt to compose herself for Diamond. "Things will be fine. And the happier you are about it, the better it will be. Do you trust me?"

Estella wiped at her eyes again, then nodded, a tremulous smile coming to her lips. "I do trust you, Sis," she whispered. She then wrapped her arms around Diamond tightly and pulled her close to her trembling body. It was where Diamond liked most to be, because she could protect her and comfort her best there.

"It's all going to be wonderful, Estella," Diamond whispered into Estella's hair. Her lips brushed the point of an ear and she kissed it gently, then nuzzled it, eliciting a shiver. "You're going to be a mother!" Diamond felt Estella's lips curve into a gentle smile against her neck.

"I am," Estella whispered in wonder and her previous anguish seemed to be slowly replaced by the giddy happiness that Diamond felt was more appropriate for the situation. Diamond smiled as well, glad to see that her touch had once again done the trick.

"Now you just need to tell Merry," Diamond said, brushing a few stray auburn curls from Estella's face. Estella blushed and nodded, and then a wry smile crossed her lips.

"That I do," she said as she reached out and tugged Diamond closer again. "But first--" Estella interrupted herself by capturing Diamond's lips in a deep, slow kiss full of unspoken emotion that sent a shiver through her entire body. This was certainly more like the Estella that Diamond knew and loved so dearly. "First, I want to celebrate."

Barely breaking the kiss, Diamond shifted and lay back on the sofa, and pulled Estella against her body. "I think there's plenty to celebrate today," she murmured against Estella's mouth as her fingers strayed down to her bodice. "But I want you to know, dearest one," she continued, "that every day I see you is a celebration for me."

Estella's smiled as brightly as the spring sun streaming through the windows. Diamond loved the way Estella's face shone when she was truly happy, and now she beamed doubly bright, for double the reasons. A celebration, indeed.