Celestial Navigation by Elvensong

Flames reached towards the heavens, dancing and swaying on the winds.

Eryn Lasgalen was enjoying the summer festival as the hash winter once again made way for spring and summer. With warmer weather and plenty of new growth promising plenty of food in order to keep the cycle going, the elves welcomed this change with a grand celebration in the center of the elven kingdom.

For one elf, though, the festival did not bring any joy.

"Legolas, this is the second messenger party we have sent to Gondor that has disappeared."

Turning his gaze from the other elves enjoying more lighthearted conversation, Legolas focused on the speaker, "Arcon, do you really feel something is wrong? Perhaps they have found something fascinating enough to catch their attention and keep them in Gondor. I never said that anything of their tasks were dire and needed all speed." Legolas straightened his green tunic. He always loved wearing the same items, even as commander of all military forces in Eryn Lasgalen, he did not dress the part. Even his hair did not show anymore rank than a warrior, braided in the same fashion as it had been for hundreds of years.

"If we were only speaking of Meldince and Cenyon I might agree with you. However, we sent Níracas after them. He knows he is not only supposed to deliver their message to Aragorn, but also to discover what delayed their comrades."

Lifting a dark eyebrow, Legolas retorted, "You don't think Ristar can corrupt Níracas into some side adventure? The two are very close."

"I doubt it." Arcon crossed his arms, a sign that meant he was absolutely serious. As always, Arcon wore his bow and arrows, even in the most protected areas of his home. A warrior born and bred, though sometimes plagued with paranoia and liking to create situations where there were none. He wore the more elaborate clothing of a high-ranking officer with many at his command. To look at the two elves together one might think that he was giving commands to the Prince.

Stepping away to gaze out over the forest, Legolas felt something stirring in his heart. "We are speaking nonsense. This is Gondor we are speaking of. Aragorn would never hurt any elf."

"Man's desire for power can lead them to perform tasks of great evil, Legolas. You have seen it first hand." Arcon's voice registered sadness at having to break his friend's feel of assurance in his close friend.

Turning back swiftly Legolas almost found himself yelling, but restrained himself. "I have seen evil in men. If it weren't for the evil of man I would not have had to fight that terrible war over a ring that could have been destroyed long before my coming into Arda. However, I have also seen goodness in man as they have fought against overwhelming odds in the name of valor and honor. To protect those unable to protect themselves. Aragorn is not behind this, there must be an explanation."

"What would you suggest, Legolas? We keep sending more elves until finally an answer is discovered?"

"Of course, not." Looking into Arcon's eyes, Legolas knew what the next move needed to be, "Form a well armed band of your finest and follow the path to Gondor in order to discover any evidence of the fate of our friends. The minute they are found, return. Be on your guard, I sense something more complex behind this then there appears to be."

"Yes, my Commander." Bowing slightly, Arcon turned to quickly gather those most trusted. He wanted answers. Legolas had suffered in the War of the Ring, and he wound not have him suffer in the peace that has finally come after so much suffering and death.

Remaining alone for only a moment, Legolas felt a very familiar presence come up to him.

"Varyar, my friend, what make you of these events?"

Walking up to stand beside Legolas, Varyar gave a solemn look into Legolas' blue eyes.

"I am not sure, Legolas." Varyar was of a more muscular build than most elves. This strong form came from hard fighting and equally hard working. This power was why Legolas gave him the position of Second in Command of the Armies of Eryn Lasgalen. That, and their long and trusted friendship. "I can understand a little of what Arcon speaks, men have not always been the most trustworthy of creatures."

Shaking his head, Legolas countered, "Sometimes the most obvious of solutions is not necessarily the correct one."

"Wise words, my Prince."

"I wish my father would handle things for this one situation." Despair welled into Legolas' large eyes, making them glisten, "I fear things might go ill. There are so many creatures in the wide world, even more than we could ever know about, but if it is Gondor striking against us." Legolas could not complete the thought.

"Your father does not wish to deal with any military matters, he eyes look west. As do yours when you think no one is watching." Varyar gave Legolas a small wink.

Looking towards Gondor, Legolas said what he knew to be true, "I cannot raise my hand against him."

"Listen, Legolas, do not think on situations that have not yet come to pass. Keep watch on what the wind and sky are doing as the stars shine and twinkle brightly on this warm eve."