Celestial Navigation by Elvensong

The wind's caress was always comforting and today it blew it an increased vigor, causing the trees to dance and sway in the rhythm of nature. The trees were joined by the grasses and the clouds sailing their path into the horizon.

Ninya enjoyed her watch, allowing herself to lean into the wind as though it would bear some of her weight. She was such a small Elf some would think she would blow away, but her eyesight made her the best Elf to stand on the high hills in Eryn Lasgalen and scan for any threat that might impose itself into their realm. Even after the ring's destruction, the Woodelves would not relinquish their strong habit of constant guarding.

Almost letting her mind escape into the clouds, a flash of something in the far distance caught her steady eye. Narrowing her vision, she took two small steps forward to try and discern who would be coming this way without a message of their arrival.

They were riders on swift horses. They were numerous, fourteen Ninya clearly saw.

They were men. They were armed.

Men of Gondor.

What would men of Gondor be doing approaching with all speed to Eryn Lasgalen? Would not King Elessar send some word to his friend, the Prince, to foretell his coming?

Suddenly, another group made an appearance only a mile or so in front of the group of men. They were also heading towards the palace their faces grim and their speed much quicker, for they were elves.

Once all was clear before her, she ran down the hills to the gardens below.




Legolas paced, Legolas always paced when he was upset and sometimes it drove others mad.

Varyar was a patient Elf and could handle others easily, but even he had his breaking point.

"Come and sit Legolas, nothing shall be decided quicker if you create a ravine in the floor."

Nodding numbly, Legolas sat in the far chair in the corner.

"I would wish for some word, from anyone, either good or bad. Nothing is more intolerable than this silence and waiting."

Glancing up from the papers on his desk, the elder and wiser Elf looked to the young royal, "Come, even you aren't so young as to fidget endlessly. Where is your immortal patience?"

"I know, it's just" Shouting from the guards of the gate cut off Legolas' sentence.

"Arcon returns! Arcon returns!"

Leaping out of his chair and practically leaving smoke in his wake, Legolas bolted for the gate for the news he had long awaited these past few days.

Arcon entered and waiting for Legolas' coming. The usually stoic Elf looked strained as he remembered all he saw, Arcon would never again be the same.

"Arcon! What news?" Arriving and eager, Legolas' blue eyes were wide with anticipation.

"I have no news you would wish to hear, however hear it you must." Clearing his voice to remove some of the shaking still did nothing to stop it from sounding hallow. "They are all dead, Legolas. Every one of them."

"What?" Legolas whispered.

"Meldince and Cenyon were found just beyond the Old Forest Road. I," Arcon stuttered, "I would not have recognized them but for the small parts of them that remained. It is obvious they were alive when they were tortured," he shook his head in disbelief. "I've never seen anything like it, they bled their life out, which mean their hearts were still beating through most of it."

Legolas felt his knees go weak, not even Orcs were so cruel. "Go on." He whispered.

"Ristar, Níracas they were, they were given a more merciful end, Legolas. We were able to follow their trail to a clearing. They were burnt, there were traces of bone in the ashes." Staring Legolas straight in the eye he spoke, "I know it was their end in that fire. Hopefully they had already departed before the flames consumed them."

The Prince finally took a shuttered breath.

"Who?"

"Men. The tracks were made by men."

Barely able to fathom the idea, Legolas spoke, "You're sure?"

"Yes." Arcon said very firmly.

Stepping away Legolas let this news sink in. How could he proceed? What could he do to counter this? It couldn't be Aragorn, but he is ruler over the men in this land and there had been no word from him in all this time plus the messengers sent to him had turned up violently murdered.

Legolas' thoughts were interrupted when a small female Elf came rushing in through the gates from the hills above. Lowering her head in respect, she was out of breath, very rare for an Elf.

"My Lord! I have important news!"

"Tell me, please."

Ninya raised her eyes, "I have been keeping watch on the high hills and have seen he returning of our search parties."

"Yes," Arcon spoke with frustration, "We are right here."

She continued as though she hadn't heard him, "However, behind them comes another party, one from farther away, one riding with all speed to where we now stand."

"Who?" Legolas simply asked.

"Men, Sire. Heavily armed and flying the colors of Gondor."

Arcon and Legolas locked gazes.

Legolas' mind whirled, it was all true! Gondor was waging war against him and his people.

Stepping slowly away, Legolas spoke to his dearest advisor, "A word, Varyar."

"Of course, Prince Legolas." Came the calm reply despite all the news of late.

Arcon was furious, "You walk away from this? You leave me standing here after all I've told you? Will you not act?" His voice was now well beyond a scream, "Is your love for the King of Men greater than that for your own kin? Answer me!"

"I shall return shortly." Came the quiet reply.