Celestial Navigation by Elvensong

The two Elves entered the warm room slowly, as though there might be some evil contained in that room awaiting their arrival.

Legolas especially did not wish to cross that barrier, for he had great fear of the words that needed to be said and the outcomes that would ensue. However, there was no turning back now for the tide had been set into motion and there was no stopping it.

The room was large, with flowing deep red carpet beneath them and a wide fireplace housing a well-tended blaze, giving the room the flickering light of fire.

"Legolas? What is it you would say?"

Slowly, the Prince turned to his close advisor and friend, "Varyar, you know what I will say. Do you remember many years ago, when there was a skirmish between our border guards and a small band of Rangers?" Of course, do you remember is an odd question to ever ask an Elf, given their perfect memories, but Varyar answered his question without insult.

"Yes, Majesty." Formality suddenly felt needed in this situation.

"Aragorn was among that group, and I went out to meet him in that troubled time." Legolas slowly met Varyar's gaze, knowing the other would not approve of his meeting the enemy alone with battle so near, but now was not the time for a scolding.

Legolas continued, "I went to him to tell him that there may be no choice but confrontation. I also went to tell him that, that" Legolas voice failed, but he composed himself once again quickly, "that, so help me, if I ever raise a weapon against you may the Valar strike me dead."

Silence followed. For what could one say to that confession?

"How can I lead this investigation fairly? How can I bring justice to those murdered if I cannot strike back if it is found that men of Gondor slew them in cold blood?" Legolas asked.

"I have no answer for you, this is something you must decide for yourself, my Liege." Varyar said, remaining as stoic and stern as ever.

Legolas took but a couple steps towards his friend in order to put his hand on Varyar's shoulder. "I have thought of the answer, as it is the only one, plain as the stars at night, my friend."

Giving Legolas a look of obvious confused Varyar waited for the answer without replying.

"You shall lead the Military Forces of Eryn Lasgalen. I shall relinquish my powers to you in all matters and not give another command until you see fit to reinstate me, which will be at your decision." A log in the fire settled, causing sparks to fly up the chimney. This choice was grave, unheard of, and quite distressing.

"You cannot do that, Legolas." All formalities were gone in that instant.

"I must. Give me another option and I will entertain it, but I know you will have none." A knowing look was given to Varyar.

"I do not, but I do not feel comfortable with this outcome. Your people adore you and only wish to follow you, they might rebel."

"They will obey you, for a shall make it known that you are now their Commander. I will formally give all my powers to you, in a oath ceremony this very evening."

Shock shone in Varyar's steel gray eyes, the strongest emotion ever to show there in a great long while, "You will do all this under oath? You will give me all your commands, you know you would be able to do nothing against my orders, you will have no say whatsoever. Please, Legolas, think of what you are doing!"

"I have, and I can think of no one I trust more than you. What would you have me do? Give this responsibility to Arcon? Come, Varyar, you know this is the only path we can journey on." Legolas turned and opened the large, wooden doors. A guard was startled as Legolas quickly spoke.

"Gather the High Counsel of Eryn Lasgalen."




Ten Elves sat along a large, round table. Each one of them were well decorated in battle and each earned a seat on this highest of courts. Eryn Lasgalen may be a monarchy, however these elves had power even over the royalty. For no country was complete without a group of high achievers from among the people to represent their opinions and experiences, needs and wishes. It was only when all ten were in absolute agreement could an order from the King be overturned, and it had never occurred in Thranduil's reign, for he was a just king to took his people to heart and always kept them in mind.

The Counsel never rose a word of objection when the King's son Prince Legolas was appointed to the highest position in the military, for they knew he would have that role even if he was not the son of a king, for his deeds were so great and worthy of honor and recognition. They never questioned him, his strategy or his suggestions, until now. Legolas sat in the eleventh chair of the circle, the one reserved for a member of the royal family should they come to a meeting and only them. Legolas or his father was the only ones who were not on the counsel yet allowed to join in meetings. Even Varyar, whom this meeting was concerning, was forced to pace outside. A habit he was shocked to find himself doing.

"Prince Legolas, we have always been behind you, but this is highly unorthodox. You cannot step down from your post, no matter what they situation." Savinis, a powerful elven woman gave a look of stern resolution. She had fought alongside Oropher in the Last Alliance and had proven herself many times since. She had a rare look among the others, for her Nordor heritage gave her dark hair.

Legolas approached her with complete respect, even though he was called Prince, these elves were the true power standing beside the throne he would inherit.

"Savinis, I understand your misgiving, but I would think you ever more upset if I should stay in command. If I had to give an order to attack one I hold so dear to my heart, they could be overrunning out lands before I could bring myself to give the command. Understand the sight of a unbiased individual is the only clear one in this instance."

"Varyar would have full power, Prince. You would not be able to reclaim your post until he gave it back to you. There would be nothing you could do against him should you disagree with his orders." Tauron arched an eyebrow, and for one moment Legolas thought he was looking at Elrond.

The Prince, in these formal chambers he was never anything else but the Prince, gave them all a stone hard look and spoke clearly and slowly, "There is none I trust more."

"So be it, Your Highness."




It was barely an hour later when all of Eryn Lasgalen's forces were gathered, wondering what could possibly be occurring.

Legolas, their leader and trusted as none other addressed them quickly and came right to the point.

"Due to personal issues with our perceived threat, of which I am certain you are all aware, I have decided to stand down in this arena and turn command over to Varyar, his to do with as he pleases and without authority from myself or anyone else."

In the shadows, Legolas could see his father, Thranduil, standing and regarding him with a deep expression. The King of Eryn Lasgalen trusted his beloved son completely, however this decision did give strange feeling of misgiving in his heart. Nevertheless, he retreated from the room and would not voice anything concern or doubt over this matter.

Gasps of surprise and disbelief came from the gathered crowd. Arcon, standing up on the podium with the other two, swung his gaze around and gave Varyar a look that one may give surmising an enemy. Legolas turned to Varyar, speaking clearly above all.

"Varyar, in accordance with the laws and with the approval of the High Counsel of Eryn Lasgalen, I give to you, under oath swore beneath the canopy of our great forest home, all my power to command as you see it. I prey you use this responsibility to protect our people and our home from those who seek to destroy it. I trust in you and know all who stand here will also do so." Legolas then bowed to Varyar, something royalty of Thranduil's line rarely did to another who was not royal themselves. Varyar bowed in return and faced those he would command. In silence they also lowered their heads in respect.

All but Arcon.