Coranar 8. Gifts from the South by The Tired Scribe

The next day dawned cold and gray and misty. Lindefal had no pressing business on the schedule and he dressed Elrond warmly in layers of robes for a lazy day around the house. He thought the dark circles under the gray eyes could tell a tale, but he was efficient and silent as he held the soft high boots ready to be pulled on. He quickly created a simple plait in the long dark hair and tied it off with a leather thing before Elrond could tie it back in a knot.

He noticed it was especially silky and soft today, just what it did not need to be as strands began to unravel themselves from the plait even before he tied it off. A wisp fell forward to annoy Elrond before he even rose from the chair. He had given up fighting his hair years ago and tried to ignore it for the most part. He felt in his heart that it plotted to torment him with tickles and snarls. It was handy to tease his lovers with, and they seemed to be entranced by it, so he formed an uneasy truce with the heavy black mass trailing down his back. He had no doubt it would betray him in a wink.

Lindefal pushed back the wisp and added a simple silver circlet to complete the attire of the Master of the House. While most knew who Elrond was and his position in the community, Lindefal always felt a token of his role was appropriate. "We have guests in the house you know," he added as Elrond shook his head and smiled. They enjoyed a leisurely and hearty breakfast while Lindefal filled him in on what was happening around the house today. The guests were the big news now the wedding was over. Elrond descended the interior stairs to the library, headed to the guest wing to see to the newcomers. Arriving in the long hallway of the guest wing he checked with the Hall Stewards. The guests had passed a quiet night, and had eaten two breakfasts each this morning.

Upon discovering that they were brothers and sister, Erestor decided to place them together at first for their own comfort and a feeling of security. Other arrangements would be easy to managed later in the empty guest wing of the house. Entering the largest room with multiple beds and a sitting area, he greeted Erestor and Aragorn, who were seated between the line of oversize beds, visiting with the guests. Indeed, as he had known they would be, they were stiff and achy this morning.

They were also amazed to be alive and to awaken in the height of luxury in the elegant guest rooms of Rivendell. They thought they must dreaming and that the flooded river and rescue had just been a bad dream. High ceilings with decorated beams, large windows and heated tiled floors, and a crackling fire in the fireplace had greeted their sleepy eyes that morning. They awoke to a gentle touch on their shoulders, accompanied by the rich smells of sausages, eggs, fresh bread, cheese and other treats they had long since done without while on patrol. They tackled the steaming food with relish and true pleasure.

Oversized beds with billowy linens and piles of pillows were a luxury they had not expected to find on this mission. The sight of the large bathing basin, and the idea of running hot water amazed them. The luxuriant indoor toilet facilities were a real fascination, and Erestor had explained exactly how everything worked for them as they creaked and limped on the tour of their room. They had slept yesterday afternoon and the entire night away after their rescue. Awaking hungry, they made short work of the hearty breakfasts presented to them this morning. He fussed over them as they ate, plumping pillows and serving seconds and thirds. Erestor always liked feeding appreciative diners.

The night of sound sleep in soft linens and cozy beds, and a good meal, had lightened their spirits. Yanala could not stop stroking the soft finish of her bed linens and the sleeves of her skillfully woven gown. Still wary and somewhat shy, they asked question after question, and Elrond finally pulled a chair around, sat down and explained where they were, how welcome they were, and how they had no worries as guests in his house. More questions were sparked by his comments, and finally they accepted the idea that the news they brought of the outside world would more than pay for their care and board at Rivendell.

They were soldiers and accustomed to being accountable for their needs and actions, and he could understand that. He also knew that they could participate in the household chores with the others and feel relieved of debt. Erestor and the twins could assume the task of keeping them busy as they recovered. This new project would also keep his sons close to home for a change. He wished to hear more of their thoughts about what they seen on this most recent foray out into the wilderness anyway. While he would always see them through the eyes of a father, he did respect their military skills and prowess, and trusted their sharp eyes and intelligent conclusions. They had had enough experience in the world to make them acute observers. They were his eyes in the wilderness. Erestor was explaining the rounds of chores to the guests and they nodded in comprehension and acceptance of the new responsibilities. Elrond smiled at this, and remarked, "After, of course, your healers release you to move about the house."

Elrond rose to check and change their bandages with the skillful hands of a healer, and the care of a concerned host. The wooden chest of medicines sat open on the table and he carefully selected the correct powders and lotions for their needs. His confident and gentle manner put them at ease as he asked about specific ailments and injuries. He felt for fevers and checked pulses and eyes. Everyone flinched at some touch here or there, but all in all they were remarkably lucky to have survived. Yanala's sutures looked clean and he was careful to apply a soothing cream around them as he tsk-tsked the damage. He carefully checked the cut across her collarbone, smiling at the dash of freckles there. Her bruises were blossoming into dark smudges against her pale skin.

He advised Erestor to meet any and all of their needs while they were resident at Rivendell, and offered Aragorn as a fountain of information for any questions they thought of. Anyone housed under Elrond's roof was treated as family. His pantries were loaded, the bread ovens hot and full, and breweries productive, and his heart was large enough to embrace all comers.

He plumped their pillows and sat them back in their beds, and seated himself nearby in preparation to listen to their tale. Findalor, Elladan and Elrohir came by, with Legolas in tow, to check on the guests, and they pulled chairs around to hear the tale as well. Aragorn settled back with legs outstretched to listen.

Trusting their fates to the silent figures seated before them, and sensing they had their undivided attention, Talamir began to tell their tale. They had been on a scouting mission in the autumn months, sent by the citizens of their town to the northern regions to investigate the environment there. Warnings of disturbances in the south were increasing and rumors of Orc raiding parties and roving bands of outlaws also in the north had come to them via traders. They had tracked several parties of Orcs, and been attacked themselves at one point, escaping only due to the speed of their hearty horses. They had met a band of traders who had been attacked as well. Aragorn explained that the Rangers had noted their passing, and monitored their travels, but had lost them at one point after the attack of the Orcs. They were feared killed.

Aragorn and the twins were keeping watch for their trail as they roamed the northern stretches on patrol, and had tracked them to the river bank as the flood waters from the rain upstream crashed down the narrow channel. Too late to stop them from entering the river, they watched as the trio was swept away by the flood tide. Traveling along the banks at a run, they took an opportunity to reach out and grab them as they struggled to climb the muddy and steep banks as the water tore at them in torrents.

Each one was shouting for the others to be rescued first and Talamir and Yanala were trying to push Dorimal up the steep bank. Aragorn and the twins finally divided them up and grabbed for the nearest one to save any of them. Branches, silt and rocks rolled along in the crest, indeed entire trees had been uprooted and tumbled along the deep channel. Shredded by sharp branches Yanala's clothing became entangled in a submerged thorn tree's branches, and she was caught gasping as the floodwaters surged around her. Sharp thorns had torn her flesh as she was caught in their tangled grasp. Tearing fabric allowed her to escape before she drowned.

They had caught their breath under the trees and listened to Aragorn and the twins introduce themselves and explain who they were. Shaken, and suffering from exposure and near drowning, they agreed to seek shelter with these three rough and tumble looking strangers, ones who had saved them from the river and fed and warmed them now with blankets and a fire. Sometimes strangers could become well-met friends in the wilds. Their reports of the raiding parties and narrow escape from the Orcs fell on particularly attentive ears. Aragorn reported to them now that that particular group of evildoers would bother no one else thanks to the swift arrows of Elladan and Elrohir.

Elrond and Aragorn exchanged knowing looks at some points in the story and asked specific questions as to locations, areas, and other details. Findalor nodded and kept exact mental notes of their information. Legolas also had incisive questions for them on certain aspects of their adventures. The twins filled in details from their experiences as well. Elrond pursed his lips and nibbled a finger as he heard news from the southern reaches. Trade had been slow this winter and news scarce from the south. He learned many new things from the threesome, and answered more questions they had about the world events taking shape around them.

They all saw a gathering storm, but appreciated the growing darkness with different levels of understanding. Aragorn and Legolas looked grave and Elrond and Findalor fell silent, deep within their own thoughts. But Erestor took the opportunity to gather dishes and trays and start the bath water for the first round of hot soaks. The scouts began to accept they might be safe here, and understood they were guests of those who also watched for enemies and protected the home front.

They fell into a routine of sorts revolving around rest, the treatment of their wounds, and slow and careful exercise in short walks around the house. They choose to stay together in the large guest room, and wondered at its luxury when they were alone, looking into cupboards, feeling the warmed tile floor, and admiring the carved beams that stretched above their heads. Yanala sat on the balcony outside the tall windows every evening and watched the setting sun as the bells tolled the end of the day. The elegance and luxury reminded them of a safe and pampered childhood, long left behind them now.

Enjoying time spent with their father, the twins accepted their new assignment of house duty with good natures. They adopted the healing guests with gusto, showing them portions of the Great House and the rest of the settlement as they became able walk about and take things in. The brothers bonded with Elrond's sons, who picked their brains dry with questions about life in the south, and the customs of men. Clearing days allowed them to be outdoors in the glades and gardens, and to walk along the river paths as they improved.

Elrond saw the rose come back into the guest's cheeks and was gratified as the gaunt and haunted looks faded as some weight filled them out again. Rest and care brought them back to health and well being. Shy at dinner at first, they became accustomed to being watched and questioned by interested diners around them. The open flirtation and sensuality among the residents was foreign to them, and the overly friendly servers a shock, but they chose to go with the flow and observe the situation without remark or judgment. Aragorn explained some things to them about Elven life, and Legolas and the twins answered franker questions the brothers had in a long walk along the river.

Yanala observed and learned what was acceptable behavior, and Galenbrethil answered questions she had about customs and appropriate behavior in Rivendell. Lindefal was all too eager to visit with her in the library and make suggestions and recommendations to her. Yanala found herself wandering the stairs and corridors in wonder at the sprawling settlement that was their temporary home. Views from the stacked balconies and hanging gardens stopped her at every turn as she looked out in wonder at the waterfalls and steep valley sides.