Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

Moonlight lit the corridors of Edoras's dinning hall. Eowyn Shield-Maiden of Rohan sat alone on a window ledge peering out into the darkness. The Battle of Helm's Deep had ended and she had done her duty, minded the children, looked after the women, and helped find bedding. Despite the fact that she would have much rather been in battle, she had accepted that it was not her time. That was until she emerged from the caves.

She instinctively had found her uncle and was glad to know he was mostly unwounded. She was pleased that her brother Eomer had arrived with the wizard and was unscathed. It was only when she searched the crowd for Aragorn, the man that held so much of her heart, that she was stunned. He stood but thirty feet away and next to him clothed for battle stood the most beautiful woman Eowyn had ever laid eyes on. Long dark locks pulled back into a plait for convenience, bottomless sapphire eyes, and surely underneath the dirt and grime from battle the lady had a creamy white complexion. An elegant sword lay at her side decorated with intricate designs. As her eyes traveled along the women's face she then noticed the female's ears they were pointed! An elf!

It was then that it all clicked together. This was Aragorn's love, the one he had spoken of, the one that gave him the jewel around his neck. She then stopped taking in the lady's elven beauty and her feelings turned to outrage. She had arrived during battle! She had fought alongside the men when Eowyn herself was denied that honor! Eowyn felt a fire blazing within her as she continued to stare at the women across from her; it took her a moment to realize that those deep blue eyes had locked with her own. She suppressed a gasp at the intensity of emotions she felt at that moment. She quickly turned from the gaze and walked outside as fast as she could.

The journey back to Edoras went swift the next day; Eowyn busied herself by keeping to the rear of that company, content on talking with her brother for the ride.

At dinner that night she was forced to admit she could avoid them no longer, she sat to the left of the head of the table where Theoden sat. Eomer sat to the right. The hall was busy and noisy, with people slowly taking their seats. Someone bumped into her as she took her seat almost causing her to fall over, her hands quickly grabbed the nearest thing to keep from falling, To her horror when she looked up she found she had grabbed Lord Aragorn's arm in momentary panic. She had not even seen him there! She quickly straightened herself.

"I'm sorry my lord," she said hastily. He nodded, "Tis alright I am quiet used to being used as a bracing post," he said with mirk in his voice. She took her seat quickly and watched as he pulled out the seat next to hers, but instead of sitting as she had expected he turned and offered his hand to the women behind him. The lady took his hand gratefully and sat in the chair offered.

Eowyn found herself awestruck once more, she had been right about the lady's skin, it was positively glowing; all signs of the battle past had been washed away. Her hair was flowing in gentle waves. She wore a elegant navy blue dress that accented her eyes. Eowyn found herself looking down at her simple white gown. Her hair no doubt everywhere.

"Forgive me ladies, you have not been properly introduced," Aragorn spoke out of sudden realization.

"Lady Eowyn this Arwen Undomiel, my betrothed," he said indicating to the woman sitting next to her, "Arwen this is Eowyn, White Lady of Rohan," Arwen held out her hand, Eowyn hesitated for a moment but not wanting to seem rude reached for the other woman's hand. To her surprise the lady brought her hand to her lips and brushed a feather- light kiss upon it. Eowyn gasped and stared into the depths of the others eyes. Slowly the lady lowered her hand but did not yet release it.

"It is a custom among my people when meeting someone of such nobility," she said softly.

Nobility? Me? Eowyn thought, she did not concider herself nobility despite her heritage, and she struggled to find something to say. A clearing of a throat interrupted her thoughts.

"I trust you two will think of something to talk about, I unfortunately am seated on the other end of the table, so if you ladies will excuse me," Aragorn said bowing to them. He gave Arwen a meaningful glace before walking into the crowd.

Coming back to reality Eowyn suddenly realized that her hand was still being held by the enchanting elven women beside her. Arwen seemed to realize this at the same time, and gently let go, smiling. They didn't get a chance to say much else before dinner was served. They ate in mostly silence though around them stories of the battle were been told by many.

As the evening was coming to a close Arwen finally broke the silence they had been in.

"Aragorn tells me you are a Shield-Maiden of Rohan, yet I do not recall seeing you until after the battle," Eowyn's anger she thought she had lost was instantly ignited once more, and she found herself wanting to hate this woman once again.

"Nay, It was not permitted for me to be in battle because I am a woman" she said avoiding the other women's gaze knowing her anger would with no doubt melt at the very sight of her eyes and leave her feeling very confused once more.

"I see..." Arwen started but was cut off by Eowyn standing abruptly, "Excuse me my lady," she said with angry tears in her eyes, and turned from the hall. Eowyn had retired to her chambers confused and angry.

Now Hours later when she knew the hall would be empty she returned. Eowyn sat quietly staring out the window at the night sky. She had to admit she didn't hate Arwen, if anything she admired her. Although that also left the feeling she kept having every time she looked into the lady's eyes.

She sighed in frustration. What was wrong with her? Hadn't she been in love with Aragorn? No, she felt something for him but it wasn't love. Besides he loved his elven beauty, and of course she must love him right? She did come all this way, why else would she risk her life if not for love? She sighed again. Everything was so confusing.

Eowyn felt tears of frustration begin to trail from her eyes. The sound of gentle footfalls broke her out of her thoughts. She looked up to see none other then the lady Arwen herself standing not ten feet away.