Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

The shadowed trees almost looked ominous in the dark of night. The wind was growing chill and the air crisp. As her horse slowed to a stop, Arwen regarded the darkness with a foreboding. Dismounting, she walked her horse to a near by tree and tethered him. It would be easier to fallow her trail on foot.

She had not waited long before deciding to fallow the White Lady. There was no doubt in her mind that the woman could handle a few thieves, but even as she thought it she found herself reading her horse and shouldering a pack of arrows and bow. She was compelled to fallow, weather it be a good idea or not.

Glancing along the forest edge, Arwen was surprised not to see Eowyn's horse tethered nearby. Had the creature pulled itself loose? Or perhaps it was set loose? Gathering her bow in hand she cautiously stepped into the flickering darkness.




The silence lingered in the small clearing and there was no movement. Eowyn's breath was coming short as she scanned the surrounding darkness for the intruder. A past hatred burned in her veins as attempted to locate the loathed man. Old memories, of being alone, while not really alone, with her misery.

"Show yourself Worm!" she demanded, holding her sword ready.

A movement behind her, made her turn and meet his arrogant gaze. He stood alone, still half hidden by the darkness of the woods. His cloak was torn and stained, and he looked as though he may have been on run for some time, which considering everyone assumed he was dead, it made sense. She took a defiant step towards him, sword still in hand.

"Now, now, there's no need for that," he stated as he held up his hands. "I'm unarmed."

Eowyn regarded him cautiously for a moment, then with a decision made, sheathed her sword. "What do you want?"

He gave an odd sort of smile, one that instantly causes distrust in the one giving it. He began to move in a circular motion around the edge of the clearing. "I wonder..." he said slowly.

"What would a lady of your stature be doing, in a place like this...in the dark of night?" he asked, although his tone suggested he knew.

Keeping her eyes trained on the dark clad man, Eowyn spoke. "There's a rumour that a band of thieves are hiding in these woods. I came to see if it was true. Friends of yours perhaps?"

She watched as a smirk appeared on his face and he stopped moving. "Now why would you think that my lady? I'm on the run, do you really think I have time to associate with common thieves?"

Eowyn smirked at his question. If anyone could form ties while on the run, it would be Grima Wormtongue. "It would not faze me."

The ragged man took some steps towards her. "Now my Lady..." A rush of wind separated them however. Grima took a staggering step backwards and both their eyes fell on an arrow embedded in a tree.

Staring at the arrow, Eowyn approached it. There was something oddly familiar about that design...and where had it come from? Turning around she stared into the darkness of the wood. A whistle from Grima's direction averted her eyes back to him. A moment later several men appeared in the small clearing, entering from various directions. This was not good...she placed a hand on hilt of her sword, but didn't yet dare to draw it.

What most got her attention came next however, three men appeared, all rough looking, their fingers sparkling with jewels that no don't were not their own. The first threw a sack of arrows and a broken bow to the ground. But it was when the second man came into view that Eowyn felt her heart skip a beat. Struggling in the man's grasp was none other than...

"Arwen!"

She went to run towards her but found her shoulders restrained. Shooting a death glance towards her capture, Eowyn went to unsheathe her sword. Grima's hand however grabbed her own and held it tightly.

"Now, now my lady, we wouldn't want any accidents to happen now would we?" his snide tone said suggestively.

Glaring daggers at the man, Eowyn rested her gaze on her love...the woman appeared to have fought hard against them up till then, her clothes were less then clean, her hair had fallen about her face and Eowyn could see a rather large bruise forming on her cheek. Her anger flared up at the sight of it. Other than that the elf stood defiantly and with an ever-strong presence. Their eyes locked and Eowyn new she had to find a way out of this situation. The way things were now however fighting would likely lead to their swift deaths. Taking a deep breath Eowyn let her hands drop before they were roughly grabbed by one of the men and bound tightly behind her back.

"Easy!" She heard Wormtongue's voice demand. Eowyn's eyes traveled to his position. He smiled and took a few revolting steps towards her. Reaching out he fingered a few stands of her hair. "She's no good to us injured." He announced, the golden strands of her hair falling from his hands. He took a step away and looked around at those that surrounded them.

"Make sure their bound tight, and follow me."




It had been sometime since the Lady of Rohan had taken her leave from them. Eomer sat in the study, an untouched book sat in his lap and a fire ragged on in the hearth. He'd done not but think since entering the small chamber, at least an hour before.

The whole situation between Lord Aragorn, Lady Arwen and his sister was complicated indeed. It surprised him how calm Aragorn... or rather Elassar now, seemed around them. He'd been in little contact with the Lord since their departure from Gondor. When he had received letters, never was there any mention of what happened. Eomer actually wondered if the Lord had even talked with hi Lady about the matter? Perhaps he had just decided it had not happened? Although certainly all of Gondor had been talking about it for months afterwards.

Eomers thoughts however were interrupted by a knock on the chamber door.

"Come in," he declared to the person on the other end. A moment later the dark door was opened and a sleep dressed Aragorn entered.

"Pardon me for my intrusion, Lord Eomer," he said bowing slightly.

Now really there was no need for that! King he may be but the not only one was he. "Come now, no need for such formalities. We're both kings here." Eomer said, rising from his chair to greet his friend properly.

"I wish it were on better terms that I come to visit you tonight, but alas. My lady, it seems, has vanished. I have nor seen nor heard from her since she departed at dinner."

Eomers brow furrowed at this. This was curious. "A strange occurrence this is, since I have nor seen nor heard anything from my dear sister since that time as well."

Aragorn visibly tensed at this news. And rightly that he should. What if they had decided to run off together? If so, it was unlikely that they would be found. But Eowyn would not do such a foolish thing...would she? He knew her mind did not quite work sanely when it came to the elvish woman.

Turning his gaze back to the troubled man in front of him, Eomer reached out his hand and placed it on his sturdy shoulder.

"Do not fear, my lord, I am sure they are both well." He insisted. They could both take care of themselves. But where could they have gone? Perhaps they were still somewhere in Edoras?

"Tis not that I fear." He spoke.

A frantic knocking on the door lost any response or comfort Eomer would have given the Gondorian King. Eomer gave Aragorn an apologetic smile before telling the unknown person to enter. A middle aged solider entered, hair straw hair tied back and a piece of parchment shaking in his hands. Eomer recognized him as one of the night watch.

"What ails you Rohirrim?" he asked.

The man looked reluctant to speak and simply held out his shaking hand in which the parchment was held. "I was told to bring this to you My Lord." The man explained.

Eomer exchanged a questioning look with Aragorn before taking the parchment from the man. Parting the folds, it revealed a note, scribbled in haste and likely in the dark.

King Eomer,

I have taken your beloved sister into my folds. However do not fret, she will be returned when we have finished with her.

If you'd like to have her back unharmed I'd suggest you leave five chests of gold at the border of the eastern woods. However much as I do not wish her harm, I cannot watch my men at all hours. Gold may stifle their desires. You will hear more when we receive the gold.

Grima Wormtongue.

"My Lord..." the voice of the solider interrupted Eomers shock. He looked up at the man and saw he held his hand out. "This came with it," he said. Between his fingers was a lock of golden hair. Eomer reached forward and took the lock in his hands. Eowyn...

How was it possible? That worm lived? Valor knows what things he would do to her! Anger brewed, threatening to overwhelm his logic. If not for a hand on his shoulder he would surely has ordered some foolish gamble that would have gotten her killed.

"My lord, do not act too rashly." Aragorn warned him. Eomer nodded and returned his attention to the Rohirrim solider awaiting his orders.

"Retrieve five chests of gold, and await my command." He said.

"Yes my lord," the man said, bowing. How turned to leave but Eomer called out to him.

"Wait! How did you receive this message?" he asked.

"Lady Eowyn's horse returned with it attached my lord." The man said. Eomer nodded and turned away assuming the solider would leave.

"My Lord, there's something else." He said and glanced at Aragorn nervously.

Eomer turned around and awaited what he would say.

"There's another horse missing from the stables."




The cool night breeze blew through the mountains edge. They were far from the woods by now, and had set up camp on a ledge that was almost completely hidden from observers. A dim light, from a dying fire, was cast over the sleeping men and their prisoners. Eowyn sat, chilled to the bone from the cool night air, against the rocky surface of the mountainside. Arwen, who had fallen asleep, was leaning on her shoulder. Both sets of hands were bound, but luckily at the front and not the back, making movement less uncomfortable. Their feet were also bound together; to prevent any escapes attempts either would have thought up.

The bushes to their left rustled, for a brief moment Eowyn felt her heart flare up with hope before it was brutally crushed when Grima walked out from them, leaves trailing behind him and falling into the face of the man who fallowed. The two stopped just out of earshot and she saw Wormtongue lean in and whisper something in the man's ear. The thief then nodded, turned, and walked away.

Eowyn watched with much disgust as Wormtongue sauntered over to them and halted a mere three feet away. The shieldmaiden glared up at the foul man, what was he playing at? What could he possibly gain from this, besides some trivial amount of gold?

"I can't imagine why you informed them of our capture. They will come to find us. You're setting yourself up for failure, Snake." She spat at him confidently.

To her surprise the retched man began to laugh. She watched with confused anger as he lowered himself to her level on the ground and looked at her, a huge grin still evident on his face. How she wanted to beat that look off of him. How she wished she could silence that forked tongue of his. That same tongue that poisoned her uncle for so long and haunted her in the shadows of Edoras.

She watched with much hatred as he reached out, now calmed, and fingered a few strands of Arwen's long dark locks. How she hated him then, if not for the fact of not waking her, she would have gladly made a go at him, yelling and screaming till her lungs hurt.

Pulled his arm away he let his eyes fall back on Eowyn shaking form. "You see my lady, we only informed them of your capture. They know nothing of this beauty." His smile could be described as nothing but evil. Backing away, he rocked back onto his feet and stood. "So behave yourself, fair Eowyn. I pray you nare' want some ill consequences to befall upon her."

Eowyn watched as the dark ruffled man turned away from them and walked across the small camp, disappearing into the shadows, like he was so accustomed to. Staring down at the beauty of the woman beside her, Eowyn felt herself swell up with determination. She would not let anything ill befall upon her, and she would do what she must to ensure that. That what she was sure, she would find out soon.


( More to come...)