Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

Eowyn bounded to her feet abruptly almost falling off the ledge she'd been sitting on. She quickly dried her tears with her hands before facing the lady.

"Lady Arwen, to what do I owe this honor?" she asked politely, forcing a smile. Arwens face however stayed calm and unreadable.

"Forgive me Lady Eowyn, it seems I startled you," she said quietly, keeping her gaze fixed on Eowyn.

"Tis alright milady, I was merely...thinking. I often come here when the night is late to be with my own thoughts." Why am I telling her this? She thought.

"May I inquire as to what thoughts brought tears to woman of such strength?" her expression remained unchanged. Eowyn looked away, ashamed that anyone had seen her acting so weak. And then realizing what Arwen was asking she felt her face warm.

"I...well...uh..."

"Tis alright, you need not share it, if you do not wish to do so." Arwen said cutting off her stammering.

Eowyn sighed in relief, and gave the elven woman a genuine smile. A few moments of awkward silence passed before Eowyn broke it.

"I've just realized that I still do not know why you are here Lady" Eowyn said. Arwen seemed to blink back into reality, and took a step towards Eowyn.

"Yes forgive me my mind is elsewhere, but there is need for formalities I think, just Arwen will be fine." She smiled. Eowyn smiled back and nodded.

"Arwen then, the same goes for me, Eowyn is all you need call me. But pray tell me Arwen why are you here so late at night?" Arwens face went serious and she took another step towards Eowyn.

"Actually I was looking for you. You left so abruptly at dinner that I feared I might have offended you. Does it anger you that I was able to fight during the battle and you could not?"

…owyn's eyes flickered to the ground and then back.

"It did, I suppose it still does, but the circumstances were different, I know it is foolish to envy you."

…owyn's eyes lowered to the ground once again and fixed on a single spot refusing to move. Nor did they until a soft silk-like hand was placed on …owyn's cheek. Her eyes flickered up to meet the endless blue of Arwens, now only inches away from her. Eowyn found herself speechless. The strange silence seemed to last forever.

Arwen smiled and gently embraced Eowyn, she leaned so her lips brushed the other woman's ear and whispered, "All emotions, weather good or ill, are for a reason." She then pulled away and took a step back. Eowyn stood in silence.

"Sleep well Shield-Maiden," she then bowed and walked back the direction she had come. When she was long out of sight Eowyn still stood frozen in one spot. Slowly her hand rose to her cheek, and a small smile chased her lips. Then still processing what Arwen had said she sat back down on the window ledge and stared out into the abyss of the night.




The wind was blowing strong the next day. The Rohirrim were practicing in the field just below the gates of Edoras. Eowyn lay on the grass listening to the clashing of swords and yells of the men, the sun beaming down on her. Lost in her thoughts of the previous night. A breeze blew and a cool shadow cast itself over her causing Eowyn to open her eyes.

Arwen stood above the laying Eowyn; in her hands were two swords. One was the elven blade she'd arrived with, and the other was...hers! How had she found that!?

"Good Morning Eowyn, I was wondering if you would be interested in sparring with me?" Arwen asked holding out …owyn's sword to her. Eowyn stood and took the blade rather quickly.

"Forgive me lady," She said "but where did have in mind?" Eowyn asked looking around at the Rohirrim around them.

Arwen smiled and said, "Well right here if you wish, unless you'd feel inadequate in front of the men?" Eowyn glared at her. Inadequate! HA! She was ten times better than most men there! She'd show her!

Arwen watched the display of emotions playing over …owyn's face, and tried to suppress laughter at her success.

"Alright Arwen, I accept your challenge, here it is." Eowyn said pulling her sword from its sheath. Arwen did the same smiling. She's deliberately trying to provoke me... Eowyn thought.

The two women stood ten feet apart, the wind blowing their long hair about. Both with swords held in defensive positions.

"Ready?" Arwen asked.

Eowyn nodded, and Arwen charged. The blow was aimed for her chest, which she easily parried. She backed up blocking a two more blows.

"Your good," Eowyn breathed between blocks.

Arwen went for another swipe, Eowyn evaded it and spun around Arwen and went for her own, Arwen whirled around and blocked it.

Smiling she said, "So are you."

Eowyn smiled back, and then pulled away and than forward to strike again. Eowyn tried misleading her by aiming low but striking up, but Arwen saw it coming and blocked. It was then that Arwen spun and knocked …owyn's sword from her hands causing the shieldmaiden to fall.

As she descended Eowyn rolled and snatched her sword that was laying to her right, Arwen landed on top of Eowyn sword pointed at the lady's throat, Eowyn had been thinking much the same thing and had her sword pointed at the Elven beauty's throat.

The duo were still, swords unmoving pointed at one another. Eowyn was breathing heavily, as was Arwen she noted; she suddenly felt a blush creeping onto her cheeks. She could feel the lady's body pressed against her own, her heart beating wildly, or was that her own heart pounding in her ears? Her mind was becoming hazy...maybe it was the sun? She didn't know. …owyn's eyes were locked with Arwens. Eowyn swallowed and tried to speak.

"I believe...that this...would be considered...a draw." Eowyn said between heavy breaths.

Arwen smiled, "Yes I believe it would," she said, and lowered her sword to the ground. …owyn's blade fallowed but neither female seemed willing to move.

A familiar clearing of a throat brought Eowyn out of her trance, it was then that she noticed the world had become quite around them. The Rohirrim it seems had long since stopped their practicing and had been watching the encounter between the two women instead.

Eowyn noticed Arwens attention seemed to be focused to her left; she looked to see none other than Lord Aragorn standing beside them. Eomer and the elf Legolas were just behind him with amused looks on their faces.

Arwen quickly stood and offered a hand to Eowyn, which she accepted graciously. At once Eowyn was struck at how soft the lady's hands were, but she barely had time to register it before they were gone.

"Aragorn how kind of you to join us, have you been watching this whole time?" Arwen questioned as he offered his arm to her, which she took.

"Nay my love, it seems I just arrived in time to see the end of the bout." He said with a hint of resentment. Arwen turned back to Eowyn and bowed.

"Thank you for sparring with me Lady Eowyn, it has been an honor," she said cheerfully.

Eowyn smiled back and spoke,"The pleasure has been mine, perhaps we can have a re-match sometime soon?" Eowyn asked bowing back, "Yes I would like that very much," Arwen replied, and then turned to Aragorn, "Shall we My Lord?" she asked, he smiled and kissed he lightly on the lips.

Eowyn felt her heart jump into her throat, and an instant of hatred towards Aragorn. Then it was gone and the two walked away towards the hall. Eowyn stood watching them walk away, she jumped suddenly when she felt a hand on her shoulder.

"Peace sister, it is just me," Eomer said standing to her right.

"Forgive me brother it seems I am still on edge from the fight." He nodded understanding. Eowyn looked past him to see Legolas still standing looking right at her, a smirk was on his face as though he knew something about her that others did not. How dare he presume to know me! She thought, just as she was about to say something to him the elf turned and fallowed his companions to the hall.

"Elves are strange creatures are they not?" Eomer asked as they started to walk.

"Aye, they are a mysterious people" Eowyn replied. Around them the Rohirrim had began their training once more and …owyn's mind turned to the battles to come.

"Do you think Theoden will ride to the aid of Gondor?" she asked her brother.

"I do not know, but my heart tells me it is a fight we must be ready for," he said, Eowyn paused in her walking causing Eomer to halt as well.

"Eomer..." she began but he cut her off.

"No sister, he will not permit it, you know this." He said quickly.

"But I can fight as well, even better than most of the men here! I've bested you on several accounts if you do not recall," she snapped.

"Yes Eowyn, I know of your capabilities, but it is not my decision."

Eowyn stared at him with fire in her eyes, he was right it was not his decision, nor was it Theodens...it was hers.