Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

The Beacons of Gondor are lit and Rohan will ride to their aid and to war.

Edoras was in an uproar; the soldiers were preparing to ride to the encampment in less than an hour. Eowyn walked into the stables and headed towards her horse. As a lady of the court it was her duty to accompany the men to the encampment. What they did not know was that she did not plan on staying there when they leave for battle.

Eowyn's horse bided her hello by nuzzling her hand; she strokes his neck for a moment before throwing her saddle onto his back. She turns to grab one of her bags from behind her but is met with the site of Arwen standing there instead. Eowyn jumped at her unnoticed entrance into the stables. Arwen smiles at this, "I am sorry Eowyn, I am doing that far too often lately."

Eowyn smiled back, it was true, not that she minded the Lady's company, besides it was amazing how she kept sneaking up on her without her hearing.

"It's alright," Eowyn said lightly.

Arwen then raised her arms and in her hands was once again My Sword! Eowyn thought, how does she keep finding that?

"Surely you'll be needing this?" she more stated rather then questioned. Eowyn hid her surprise well that Arwen may know her plan. She nodded and hitched the sword safely onto her saddle, making sure the blade was well covered by a blanket she turned back to Arwen.

"Thank you," Eowyn said watching the lady intently.

Arwen smiled at her.

"Will you be fighting in this battle Arwen?" Eowyn asked curiously. Her eyes looked saddened for a moment and she looked down.

"Aragorn has asked me not to, he says it would be safer for all if I were to remain with you at the encampment," Eowyn smiled at this, "You did not answer my question my lady," she said with a hint of amusement in her voice. Arwen looked back up at her, smiled and then turned to her own horse, already made-up, and lead it out of the stables. Eowyn smiled as she watched her go. She felt her heart swell; she would not be the only one fighting.

Eowyn quickly finished attaching all her belongings she needed, her Rohirrim armour stored safely in a bag near her sword. She grabbed the reins and led her horse outside. She stopped just outside the stables beside Aragorn.

"You ride with us?" he asked sounding surprised.

"Just to the encampment," She said reassuring him, "It's tradition for the women of the court to farewell the men."

She silently hoped that he wouldn't be suspicious but knowing that he probably knew what she was up to. She turned to make sure she had everything she needed in her last bag and felt Aragorn move behind her. Eowyn turned to see that he had uncovered her sword from its hiding spot, she moved forward quickly and snatched the blanket from his grasp covering the sword once again. Eowyn glared at him for a moment, but he said nothing.

"The men have found their captain, the will fallow you to battle, even to death. You have given us hope."

He still said nothing and a moment later Arwen pulled up beside them. Eowyn mounted her horse; she could hear Eomer yelling to the men.

The Hobbit Merry pulled up on his pony, a sword at his belt. He had accepted a sword from Theoden. Good She thought, he deserved to fight as much as she did. But would Theoden actually let him? She doubted it. But she would not crush his hope so soon. If need be she would bare him into battle herself.

The ride was not too long; they arrived at the encampment mid-afternoon, having left early that morning. Riders from all over the Mark were arriving constantly. Word must be spreading fast. Eowyn thought.

Silently Eowyn finished setting up her tent, looking around satisfied with her work she turned and went out into the cool night air. And night it truly was, it had grown very dark since last she had looked outside.

Eomer and a few other soldiers sat around a fire talking. Small fires lit up the campsite at random parts, all filled with quarreling men. Eowyn stood just outside her tent and scanned the crowds of people for a face she had not seen since the ride from Edoras that morning. In but moments she had found that person but they were not alone it seemed.

Arwen stood with Aragorn off behind a tent a few down from …owyn's, the gap between the tents giving Eowyn just enough room to see what was going on. They seemed to be in a heated argument but what was being said Eowyn could not tell because the words were not ones she knew. Elvish! Damn...she thought to herself. What was so important that they could not speak of it in common tongue? So you could eavesdrop too? She suddenly thought to herself, how horrible! Spying on them, she was brought up better than that, and yet she couldn't seem to tear her eyes from the shouting couple.

The conversation seemed to be getting more intense, and suddenly Aragorn bellowed out in common tongue.

"I forbid it!"

"You do not control me Estel! I have made my choice!" Arwen screeched back, Aragorn seemed to soften a little at this, and said in a less audible tone,

"I only want you to be safe," he said reaching for her arms, but she backed away out of his reach.

Eowyn moved a little to see better.

"You know as well as I that I am perfectly able to protect myself, I will be fine, do not worry."

There was a pause where neither said anything, and then Arwen moved to him and took his hands.

"Now enough of this, I have things I must do, as do you. Goodnight Estel," He nodded, paused and then walked off into the camp.

Eowyn waiting a moment, before approaching Arwen who was still stood where Aragorn had left her. Slowly Eowyn walked up to her.

"Arwen?" she said softly once she was in front of the elf.

Arwens eyes were fixed on the ground, Eowyn reached out and placed a hand on Arwens arm, and tried again.

"Arwen?"

Slowly Arwens gaze lifted from the ground and her blue depths suddenly looked fearful. The next moment Eowyn had wrapped her arms around the lady's waist to keep her from falling.

"My Lady!" she said worriedly.

Arwen seemed to steady herself, but her hands remained on Eowyn's arms. She breathed heavily, and lifted her gaze once more to Eowyn.

"Forgive me Eowyn, I am not feeling myself."

Eowyn draped her arm around Arwens shoulders to support her, and turned to walk her back to her tent.

"Come you need to sit down," Arwen simply nodded and followed …owyn's lead.

Once they were safely inside the tent, Eowyn gently helped the lady sit on the pile of blankets that was her bed. Eowyn sat down beside her.

"I did not know that elves were prone to sickness or fainting," Eowyn said honestly.

"We are not, it is not a sickness as you would put it, that I suffer from."

Eowyn reached for the water jug that lay beside her bed and poured a cup of water, she handed it to Arwen who smiled, "Thank you," she said softly before sipping the water.

"May I ask then, what it is that you suffer from?"

Arwen stared at the water in her cup and sighed, she looked up at Eowyn sadly.

"I gave up my Immortality." She said sternly, "I am to be mortal, to live and grow old like any of you. But my strength is weakening, as the enemy grows stronger."

Arwen placed her hand upon …owyn's, and Eowyn had to suppress the urge to jump back.

"Your hands are so cold!" Eowyn exclaimed, she held the lady's hands in hope of warming them. There was a moment of silence before Eowyn spoke, letting go of Arwens hands.

"You gave your immortality up for Aragorn didn't you?"

There was a pause where Arwen nodded.

"You must truly love him," she said almost sadly.

She was a fool! Arwen must love him deeply to give her life up for him...she was sure she would here a yes come from the other women at any moment, but it never came.

Eowyn looked up to see a few tears fall down Arwens face, Eowyn was speechless, she had never seen anything more heartbreaking in all her life. This beautiful lady should never cry!

"You would think...that after everything I've done to prove that I love him...that it would be the easiest question to answer..." Eowyn didn't know what to say, what did this mean?

"But it does not matter, I have given him my promise, and an heir he will have, I have seen it." Another tear fell down her face, "I know he loves me, perhaps...perhaps this is my punishment for being so foolish..."

Eowyn felt tears of her own begin to form, this was not right! Arwen looked up at Eowyn and smiled sadly, she raised her hand and stroked …owyn's tears away while keeping her hand resting on her cheek.

"Do not worry yourself Eowyn of Rohan, you have been very kind to me. Thank you for listening."

Eowyn tried to respond, but found she had nothing to say. Arwens thumb gently stroked her cheek in a rhythmic motion, Eowyn found herself lost in abyss that was Arwen's eyes, she tried thinking but her mind had gone hazy. As if in a dream she felt the soft velvety lips upon her own, and her eyes fluttered shut.