Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

…owyn's mind was a complete blank as she surrendered to the feel of soft lips on her own. It was as though she was in a dream, and quite suddenly the feelings she'd been trying to figure out became clear. Eowyn leaned into the kiss more intensely, her desire brought to the surface.

"Lady Eowyn?" the two women jumped apart suddenly at the small voice from outside the tent. Eowyn sat dazed breathing for a moment before stammering out an answer.

"y-yes?" she asked. A moment later a small hobbit by the name of Merry appeared just inside the tent.

"My lady I...oh Lady Arwen I did not know you were here," he said sounding surprised. Arwen smiled at him and stood, pulling her cloak tightly around herself.

"That is alright Master Meriadoc I must take my leave anyway," …owyn's head snapped up towards Arwen, fear shining in her eyes. She couldn't leave now! Arwens face was unreadable, and she turned quickly from …owyn's gaze,

"Goodnight Lady Eowyn," she said quietly and walked quickly from the tent.

"Goodnight..." Eowyn said in almost a whisper after her retreating form.

There was a silence before Eowyn remembered that Merry was still standing at the entrance to her tent.

"Merry!, I'm sorry what was it you wanted?" she said forcing a smile through her puzzlement. Merry looked around a little embarrassed.

"Well I was hoping that maybe you could help me find some armor to go with my sword, that is...well, my size?" Eowyn smiled warmly at him, hobbits always seemed to make things simpler.

"Of course Merry, come to my tent tomorrow evening and I'll have some for you." He smiled brightly at her.

"Thank you My Lady!" he said eagerly.

"Tis no trouble Merry," she said standing.

"Now if you'd excuse me I'd like to get some sleep before the marrow, I suggest you do the same." He smiled and bowed at little.

"Of course goodnight Eowyn," he said backing up a little.

"Sleep well Merry," and he turned and left her alone once more. Silently Eowyn made her way to her bed and lay down. Closing her eyes she tried to take in everything that had happened that day.

Eowyn stood...well she didn't know where, all around her there was a bright blinding light. Slowly it began to fade revealing a field, it was the aftermaths of a battle. Dead orcs and men lay scattered all around her, the stench was almost unbearable. Eowyn ran through the bodies scanning their faces, she was looking for someone, her heart raced in her ears, she twirled around in place watching them, but no one stirred.

"Hello?" she yelled out panicking.

She spun around looking from body to body; tears were falling from her eyes unnoticed. Then she caught a flash of dark locks amongst the fair-haired and her heart stopped. A pair of soft yet strong arms suddenly wrapped themselves around her waist. A warm gentle breath was on her neck and …owyn's breathing slowed, she leaned into the one behind her, breathing in their sweet scent.

"I thought I saw..." Eowyn began.

"Shh" the sweet voice sweet from behind her, "the moonlight washes it all away."

Eowyn looked again to see that the field had gone, and they now stood in a beautiful garden. The moon shone down on them bathing everything in a blue glow. Eowyn smiled, it was beautiful. She places her hands on the ones holding her.

"Is this your garden?" there was no answer. Eowyn turned so she was facing the beauty behind her, still holding her hands she absentmindedly stroked her elegant fingers.

"You know what's going to happen don't you?" Eowyn asked her, she simply smiled. Eowyn stared into her blue depths.

"Your not going to tell me are you?" The Lady looked at her sadly and shook her head. Eowyn smiled, she reached up with her own hand and stroked the lady's face, quickly she leaned in and captured the others lips with her own. From somewhere in her mind she heard Arwen's voice, Wake up

…owyn's eyes were suddenly open, the dream she'd been having starting to fade. What had woken her up? What had she been dreaming about? She couldn't remember. She looked around her tent, the candle she had lit earlier had long since put itself out. Morning it was not though, the darkness of nighttime still darkened her tent. Gradually she stood and wrapped a cloak around herself. She had an urge to go out and walk in the cool night air. As she exited her tent she could tell that it must only be about three hours after midnight. She breathed in the cool night air, and listened to the sound the crickets made. She smiled; ever since she was small child she'd always loved the night better then the day. She thought back on these childhood memories as she wondered by random tents, letting her feet guide her and not really caring where she ended up.

She walked watching her feet on the ground; she only stopped when she saw the fabric of a tent in front of her feet. She looked up and was horrified to see that her feet had somehow led her to the tent of Arwen and Aragorn. She swallowed hard, remembering what had happened that night, there was no change they'd still be awake was there? It wouldn't hurt to peek inside at the sleeping duo would it? Swallowing again she bent down at the entrance of the tent and slowly pushed the one piece away just enough for her to see inside. A small noise directed her gaze to the bed, …owyn's eyes widened. The noise it seemed had come from Arwen, whom it appeared, was in the heat of passion with Aragorn. Her hands traveled down the mans back, nails leaving scratch marks in his skin as they moved together. Eowyn heard herself gasp, and quickly covered her mouth with her hand. She sat there transfixed with a mix of terror, sadness and lust and could not rip her eyes from the sight. Arwens head was turned in her direction, and for a brief moment those blue depths opened and Eowyn found herself staring into the eyes of one she loved. Panic then filled her and Eowyn staggered back, she was seen! She breathed heavily, and felt tears trickling from her eyes. She rushed to her feet and took off running, the cool air causing her tears to be lost in the wind.

When Eowyn reached the tent once more she fell onto the hard ground inside and sobbed into her hands, tears falling to the ground. She wasn't sure she understood what was going on, nor did she think she wanted to. Sometime later Eowyn composed herself, silently she made sure the cloak was still pulled tightly around her and walked out of the tent. She dried her eyes on her sleeve as she made for the bathing pond that was just hidden by the small forest near the camp. She needed to bathe anyway and it was still too early in the morning for there to be anyone else there.

She was right; the pond was empty and calm. She breathed in and sighed, slowly she undid the binding of her dress and it slid to the ground. Eowyn bent and picked up the garment, she would have to clean it later. The sound of trees being brushed past and leaves rustling on the ground alerted her that somebody was coming. She looked about; there was no time to put her dress back on, so as quickly as she could she dove into the bushes, the branches prickling her bare skin. Valor! This would not be good if one of the men saw her like this. Silently she wished she had thought to bring her sword. She held her breath as the footsteps approached, softer than she had originally thought. As the footsteps came to rest at the edge of the pond Eowyn moved a branch that had been blocking her view.

To her shock it was none other than Arwen herself! She was wearing a simple purple nightgown that blew in the gentle breeze. She reached up and undid a pin that held her hair up, her long locks tumbled down her back, and Eowyn had to stifle a gasp at the beauty of it.

The Lady then paused her hands resting on the bindings of her gown, Eowyn was sure she heard something like a sob escape her lips. But before Eowyn had time to ponder it Arwen had dropped her gown and this time Eowyn didn't even think to hide her gasp. She stared wide-eyed at the beauty before her, he creamy fair skin was mostly flawless.

Silently Eowyn wondered if all of Arwens skin was a soft as her hands. Eowyn shivered slightly as a breeze blew against her skin. She couldn't stay here, but moving would give away that'd she'd been spying...again. Eowyn chewed on her lip, she didn't know what to do. Arwen lowered herself into the pond; slowly she submerged her head under the water and then brought it back up, her hair now stuck in wet locks to her back. She sighed and seated herself against the edge of the pond, with her back to Eowyn.

It was a few minutes later before she moved again, Eowyn watched as gentle sobs overcame Arwen, her body jerking into the cries. Eowyn felt her own tears fall at this sad sight. She so wished to go out to that pond and hold Arwen in her arms; she wanted to whisper to her that everything would be alright, and that she'd never let anything or anyone hurt her again. But Eowyn couldn't do that. She had to be strong. Besides Arwen was with Aragorn, and no amount of her false promises could change that. Eowyn watched the dirt at her feet and a couple of tears fell onto her knees.

She suddenly realized all had gone quite, Eowyn looked up towards the pond once more to see Arwen staring back. She was looking over her shoulder, her sapphire eyes sparkling with fallen tears. Arwens expression seemed to change and she turned back the other direction.

"Since I know you are there, perhaps it would be wise for you to get in the water before you catch cold?" Eowyn blinked stunned for a moment; well there was really no point in staying hidden now. She cautiously stepped out from the bush; Arwens eyes remained lowered respectfully as Eowyn slipped into the water next to her.

"How long have you known I was there?" Eowyn asked quietly.

"Since I arrived at this pond," she replied raising her eyes to look at Eowyn. Eowyn smiled and looked down embarrassed.

"Why did you not say something?" Arwen returned her smile.

"I wanted to see how long it would take you, but it seemed as though you were willing to freeze there rather than acknowledge your presence." Eowyn thought about this, it was true she wasn't going to move until Arwen had left.

She shook her head, how foolish she can be. Eowyn having been lost in her own thoughts did not notice that Arwen had been watching her. She felt her cheeks grow warm with blush.

"I'm sorry about last night Eowyn," she paused.

"I don't not know what came over me," …owyn's smile faded at this, she was sorry? She was sorry...of course she was, it was just a fluke, a mistake. Nothing more... A few tears fell from …owyn's eyes, but she angrily rubbed them away. She cannot cry! She must be strong, fearless, the Shieldmaiden of Rohan!

"O-of course my lady, I..." but she did not know what to say, anything that was about to come out of her mouth was a lie.

"Eowyn I meant I am sorry for the way I left you," Eowyn looked back up at her, oh...

"Oh, I see...so you mean you are not sorry for what happened?" Arwen smiled at her.

"No I am not, only...confused." Eowyn nodded, least she wasn't the only one.

Arwen shifted in the water causing small drops of water to slide down her neck and travel down her chest and disappear under the water. Eowyn watched these droplets intently, unable to take her eyes off of the glowing skin exposed.

"I know you saw me with Aragorn," she said suddenly, causing Eowyn to jump a little and avert her eyes to the lady's face, which was just as breathtaking.

"I...I'm sorry...I did not mean to..." Arwen placed a finger on …owyn's lips silencing her.

"Shh, I'm sorry you had to see that, it is not often that he asks that of me. I could not refuse him through my guilt." Arwen moved her finger along Eowyn jaw line before letting it drop.

"You still lay with him even though you are unsure of your love?" Eowyn asked in disbelief, Arwen looked sadly at her once again.

"Like I said, I have made my promise to him. It matters not where my heart lies now," A tear fell from Arwens eye, Eowyn reached up and brushed it away, placing her hand on her cheek.

"Where does your heart lay now?"