Elven Footfalls by Lady Willowish

Eowyn breathed in, the smell of healing herbs catching in her throat. Sighing she turned into the softness she was surrounded by. Her eyes slowly began to flutter open. This didn't feel like her bed. She quickly shut them again as unexpected sunlight poured in burning them. Using her arms she tried to push herself up but cried out in pain as her left arm gave a jolt of pain at the movement. …owyn's' eyes bolted open, the battle! Looking around the room she was in she could tell it was a healing house. An injured man lay in a bed to her left, he must be someone of importance they were the only ones in this room. Slightly she pushed herself up using her uninjured arm. She breathed in the feel of the sunlight of her face, not that it was that much comfort. She sucked in a breath and felt tears begin to build in her eyes, Theoden... she felt a few tears fall from her eyes before she wiped them away angrily. Now wasn't the time, she had to find out what was going on. She had to find the others, Merry, Eomer, were they okay? And what about...what about Arwen? That was her she saw before she passed out wasn't it? Where is she? Probably with Aragorn...should she even bother to look for her? Was there really a point to try?

"I see you're awake finally," A smooth voice of a man came from her left. Eowyn turned in her bed facing the stranger in the bed next to hers.

"I am," she said, watching as the man pulled himself into a sitting position.

"I am Faramir, Cap...I suppose Stuart of Gondor now..." his voice trailed off with a sad tone to it. Eowyn smiled genteelly at him, so that was why he was in here...

"I am Eo..."

"Lady Eowyn, yes I know," he said cutting her off. "Your friends were in here earlier when I was awake." Her friends! Eowyn's spirits brightened a little.

"Yes, they spoke of the great deeds you did on the battle field...Shieldmaiden." He spoke with mirk in his voice. "Did you really slay the lord of the Nazgul?" Eowyn looked down at her lap and then back up at him.

"I did, although my efforts were meaningless," she paused, and Faramirs' face grew serious. "I was still too late...too late to save him..." Eowyn looked down at her hands in shame.

"From what I hear told of Theoden King he was great man of honor, I'm sure he did not think your efforts meaningless. Even from the great hall of kings I'm sure he holds great pride in what you did."

Eowyn looked up at this man before her, he spoke the words as though he knew them to be true. But he was right; she did all she could.

"Thank you," she said softly.

He smiled back at her and nodded in response.

"My lady!" a voice came from the doorway to her right. Eowyn turned in time to see a head of curly hair before small arms attempted to wrap themselves around her body.

"Merry!" she cried out, happiness filling her. He was safe at least. Awkwardly he withdrew, his cheeks burning with embarrassment.

"Forgive me, I'm just so happy you're awake." Eowyn smiled.

"As am I," she winced a little at the pain in her arm, "Although this arm does pain me a little," Merry frowned at that but then turned around rather quickly.

"Oi! Pippin! Where'd you go?" Before …owyn's' eyes another small curly headed hobbit appeared at the door. In his hand was clasped a bouquet of wildflowers.

"Come here Pip, and give me those before you drop all the pedals." Shyly Pippin entered and Merry snatched the flowers from his hands. He turned back to Eowyn who had an amused look of her face. Merry smiled and held out the flowers to her, Eowyn smiled and took them in her good hand.

"Thank you Merry," she said inhaling their scent. "They smell lovely." She looked to the table beside her bed, seeing there were wilting flowers already sitting in jar she reached over and put the new ones in and removed the dying ones. She then sat back and looked at the two young hobbits.

"It is nice to see you again Pippin she said to young hobbit standing behind Merry.

"Thank you My Lady, I'm glad your feeling better," Her smile dropped a little; she wasn't feeling that much better. But she sat there and listened as Merry explained everything he remembered about the battle and afterwards with Pippin inserting little comments now and then, Eowyn just smiled and nodded not really listening. Infact it wasn't until Merry had begun explaining what had happened after Eowyn had passed out that Eowyn jolted back to reality.

"And then Arwen rode up to where you had fallen..."

"Arwen?" Eowyn interrupted.

Merry nodded, "yes, Lady Arwen along with Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli had arrived just after you passed out. I don't really remember what happened after that, I passed out myself for a short while when some orc fell on top of me. Wasn't till Pip here found me that I came to again." But Eowyn wasn't really listening anymore, Arwen found her...Arwen was okay...suddenly a thought went through …owyn's mind and her rose to her chest but the jewel that should have been lying there was gone! Inside Eowyn began to panic, had she lost of the battlefield? Did someone take it? Oh she prayed she hadn't lost it. It was only tat she realized Merry had still been talking.

"I'm sorry Merry what was it you said?" Merry smiled obviously thinking she was just tired.

"I was just saying that me and Pippin wanted to see you before we leave this afternoon." Eowyn blinked.

"Leave?" she asked confused. Where could they be going?

"Yes..." he hesitated, "We're all riding to the black gate, to draw out Saurons armies. Aragorn says it is merely a diversion to keep Saurons eye fixed on us and not on Frodo and Sam who move through Mordor."

Eowyn breathed in, they were all leaving to die; this was a fool's errand they're not enough of them left to make even a dent in the army of thousands. Most if not all would not be coming back from this. And they were going to leave her here! Eowyn opened her mouth to speak but Merry saw it coming. "Lady Eowyn you know you are too weak to fight, that arm of yours is far from healed, and besides that you brother and Aragorn have had guards posted outside this room, you would not get far without them seeing you."

Eowyn smiled devilishly, "You think I could not outwit a couple of guards?"

Merry smiled, "I know you could, but you are injured. This is one fight you cannot be in." Merry moved forward and took her hand.

"Please my lady I do not wish to see you get hurt again," Eowyn smiled sadly at him and nodded. She would play along for now.

"Well we should be going everyone will want to know you're awake." Eowyn nodded. Merry gave her a sad look before pushing Pippin out the door and leaving himself.


Eowyn sighed and was silent for a few minutes. If they were all going then Arwen might be going too...she had to find her. Making up her mind Eowyn pushed back her covers and stepped onto the cold floor.

"I don't think you'll get very far dressed like that," the voice of Faramir caused her to jump. She did not know he was awake. Looking down at herself she had to agree. All she wore was a large tunic, obviously meant for a large man.

She looked up and smiled at him, "What do you propose then?" she asked him, "It does not look like they've brought me any clothing." He nodded and stood up himself, though not without wincing a little as one of hands rose to his side.

"I don't think you should be moving around too much," she said noticing his pain. He gave her a look from under his shaggy brown hair.

"Neither should you, but if you insist then at least let me help you," Eowyn hesitated before nodding not sure what he had in mind.

A few minutes later Faramirs' voice called out to the guards.

"I am tired of sitting around here, I am going for a walk," One of the guards entered the room to see Faramir pulling a cloak on.

"Are you sure sir?" the guard asked looking from him to the sleeping Eowyn.

"Yes," he said with hushed tone and put a finger to his mouth and pointed to Eowyn. The guard nodded and backed away out of the room.

Once he had left Eowyn pulled away her covers, she bore a spare outfit of Faramirs, quickly she pulled her hair back and took the cloak from Faramirs hands. She looked at him and mouthed thank you before pulling the cloaks' hood over her head, she then turned and opened the door to the room. The two guards stood on either side of the entrance. Eowyn kept her head down and nodded to them as she passed and walked down the hallway. Once she was out of site she turned to find a stairway the lead to the upper floors.

Luckily Faramir knew where the Kings chambers would be, and told her exactly how to get there. Eowyn just hoped that Arwen would be there. After moving down the long hallway Eowyn came to a set of heavy looking grand doors. Well this certainly looked like it. Eowyn breathed in and hesitantly lifted her hand and knocked. Silently she waited but after a few minutes still no reply came. Sighing she reached for the door handle, and slowly turned it. It was unlocked! The sound of footsteps coming from further down the hall alerted her; quickly Eowyn entered the room and closed the door behind her.

The room was dark, save for the dying fire in the heart of the room. She pulled the hood from her head and looked around. No one was there, and abruptly Eowyn wondered if she'd gotten the right room. She had to look for some signs that it was in fact Arwen and Aragorn's room. There weren't many personal objects laying about the room. A few garments of clothing that could belong to anyone were lying on a chair and in the cabinet. A fancy silver hand mirror lay on the dresser, with a larger one above it. Then Eowyn noticed something in the back corner of the room. Walking over to it she saw that it was a sword, and not just any sword, it was her sword! What in Middle Earth was going on? But then she looked to the left of her sword to see a fancy elven blade curved and decorated. This she recognized as well. Well at least she had gotten the right room, although she would have to inquire what her sword was doing there later.

Sighing she walked over to the bed and sat down, it didn't look like they were returning any time soon. But if she was going to battle she had to retrieve her sword first! So she would simply wait here until she came to claim it! Eowyn caught herself yawning and slapped her hand over her mouth. Now was not a time to sleep, although it would almost certainly be a little while before anyone came back. Yawning again Eowyn decided it would hurt to have a tiny rest while she waited, and the blankets were so very soft. Lying down she snuggled into the softness around her and swiftly felt her mind fading into darkness.

Eowyn awoke to feel warm around her and the sound of the crackling fire. She slowly felt her mind awakening but did not yet open her eyes. She could hear the most beautiful singing; although it sounded so distant Eowyn was sure it was coming from the room. Where was the beautiful sound coming from? She couldn't understand the words but they seemed to touch her heart anyway.

Little by little …owyn's' eyes began to open, her head inclined towards the beautiful sound. Her vision was then filled with the sight of the dark elven beauty sitting at the dresser mirror. Her long locks hung loose cascading down her back and she wore a simple flowing white gown making it seem as though she may be glowing. The beautiful singing was emanating from her pale lips. Her bright eyes were closed in concentration as the elvish words flowed from her as though on the wind itself.

Eowyn moved to sit up and found herself constricted by the top coverlet she had not dawned. Smiling she realized that Arwen must have pulled it around her, having found her asleep on top the soft mattress. Not taking her eyes from the enchanting woman Eowyn was careful not to move her arm too much. Arwens' singing slowed and then faded from her lips. Her bright eyes opened and locked with …owyn's' through the reflection of the mirror. Eowyn breathed in, what should she say?

"That was beautiful," the words flowed from her mouth before she had time to think them through. Arwen smiled a sad smile.

"Do you know any of the words of my people?" she asked softly. Eowyn had to admit she didn't know any of them, but it touched her all the same.

"No, I'm afraid I don't. What was it you sang of?" Eowyn asked curiously. Arwen turned around in her chair so she faced Eowyn.

"It was the tale of Luthien an Elven maid who gave up her immortality for the love of a mortal man Beren," Eowyn sighed at the resemblance.

"What happened to her?" Eowyn asked quietly.

"She died," Arwen said and lowered her eyes to her hands. Eowyn felt a determined anger fill her; she would not let that happen! Even it meant her own life she would protect this woman with her dying breath. Eowyn rose and kneeled infront of Arwen, tentatively she placed her hand on top of Arwens. Arwens' eyes rose to meet her own and Eowyn knew she was not planning to return from this battle.

A couple tears fell from Arwens blue depths and Eowyn found herself reaching up to brush them away, but as her hand rose Arwen grasped …owyn's' wrist with her hand. Her grip was firm and Eowyn found herself looking into confused and angry eyes.

Without warning Eowyn found herself tugged forward and soft lips connected with her own. Slowly the grip on her wrist loosened and Eowyn raised her hand to caress the lady's face and deepen the kiss. Arwen moved them into a standing position, but the movement caused Eowyn to pull away. Breathing heavily she tried to make sense of what was happening.

"I thought..." she started but Arwen raised her hand to …owyn's' lips silencing her.

"If I'm to die this day, I wish...I wish to experience what my heart desires..."

Eowyn breathed in. Desire, yes she understood what she meant. Her own heart longed for the gentle touch of this woman but it also longed for so much more.

"I will go with you," Eowyn spoke before she even formed the thought. But Arwen just shook her head.

"No Eowyn, you must stay here, another path is opening before you, if I return you must forget about me...we must be nothing more than friends..." Her voice was firm but Eowyn could here the under toning emotions hidden in the words. Eowyn shook her head; she would not belittle her feelings. She would not leave this elven woman to slowly sink into an everlasting sadness. Against her will Eowyn felt tears forming in her eyes; she would not loose anyone else! She could not! Arwen moved forward embracing Eowyn, hands wrapped in her golden hair.

"Shhh, we still have a couple of hours before I must go. Let us not dwell on things to come."

Eowyn pulled away from the embrace and looked into her eyes. Arwen smiled and took …owyn's' hand in her own. Silently she led Eowyn to the foot of bed and together they sat side by side gazing into eachother's eyes.

Dreamily Arwen stood and undid the claps of her dress, Eowyn suppressed a gasp as the garment fell to the cold floor. Her mouth had gone dry, she had never beheld such beauty, she knew neither what to say nor do. Arwen smiled sweetly and reached down to carefully remove the tunic Eowyn was wearing.

"Interesting clothing you are wearing," she said mirk in her voice. Eowyn blushed remembering that she was still clothed in Faramirs' spare tunic and trousers. Her blush soon deepened as the garment was removed and she felt the cool air against her skin.

"My Lady...I do not know wh..." Arwen fingers rested against …owyn's' lips and she smiled. Leaning down Arwen captured …owyn's' lips with her own and two fell onto the soft sheets. Eowyn shivered as she felt the cool air reach the rest of her body, but it was soon replaced by the warmth and softness of Arwens' caress. …owyn's' mind was a haze of pleasure and love, and somewhere during the soft touches and loving words Eowyn heard herself cry out.

"I love you"

…owyn's' mind began to clear and she felt sleep fading away, as her eyes opened everything that had happening that morning flowed back to her. She closed her eyes again smiling to herself, and snuggled into the soft coverings. Something was missing...…owyn's' eyes snapped open and she looked wildly around the room, Arwen wasn't there...then Eowyn felt a cool sensation coming from her hand. Swallowing she opened her clasped hand to see the Evenstar necklace.

"No..."