Forbidden by Erandir

The first man I have ever seen I met today. For now he lives only because he is under the protection of Lord Elrond of Imladris. When he reaches manhood he will no longer be allowed past our borders, but he is still a child, no more than seven.

What they fear is not the mortal, but what might happen if someone of the royal family is allowed to become too close to the mortal. Nay, it is not Estel they fear, even if he were grown, it is me they fear. What it is about me they fear I have yet to comprehend. Would I fall in love with a mortal man and not produce an heir? But could I not just as easily fall in love with an elven man?

Or is it the death of the human they fear? That his death would cause me such grief that I would be taken by it...

They fear my death.

Estel is a kind child, I like him. It saddens me that he will not be able to return after this visit. I could visit him in Imladris, but father would never allow that.




"Legolas!" The blond prince was pulled from his writing as a dark haired human child tumbled into his room.

"Estel," Legolas smiled, "What are you doing?" He knelt down by the child, who sat on the floor.

The boy turned innocent gray eyes on him sadly, "Ada says we have to leave tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?" questioned the elf, "I thought you were staying another week, at least."

"That's was Ada said, but he lied," Estel explained, "I don't want to go, Legolas, I like it here."

Legolas smiled sadly at him, the child looked on the brink of tears,

"Perhaps you will be able to visit again," he suggested.

"Could I?"

"Of course," The prince knew he was lying, but he could not bear to see Estel cry. All sign of sadness left the child's features upon hearing the promise, and he threw his arms around Legolas' neck, hugging him tightly.




Father does not even approve of my being friends with a seven-year-old human child. Almost as soon as Lord Elrond, Estel and the twins left he told me I was never to speak to him ever again. I still do not understand what is so horrible about mortal men. Estel is one of the kindest people I have ever met, human or elven.

He turns twenty today, I will never see him again. I have not seen him in many years, almost ten I think.