Forbidden by Erandir

Chapter notes: Sorry for the long period between updates, the story will progress slower because I now have absolutely nothing planned plot-wise until Helm's Deep, and there's a hell of a lot of time in between then and now, so this could take a while.
Aragorn spent the entire next day's trip, every second he could spare, with his eyes glued to the blond elf's back as they traveled down the river. Though the elf's words had been unclear, the ranger had a pretty good idea of what he had meant.... He loves me back. He has not outright told me, but I know it is true. Why else would he act this way? Shun me one moment love me the next? He says he fears his father's reaction, that is his excuse for everything. Legolas is an adult, he should be able to make his own decisions, Thranduil should not dictate his life. If he loves me he should act on it... If not then... Then he should tell me, and not play with my heart this way.

Or maybe he is scared because... Aragorn shook his head. No, the spark of hope had been lit, and he would not let it burn out.The fellowship camped that night on the banks of the Anduin for the last time, in the morning they would cross the river and head East toward Mordor. It was not something any of them looked forward to. As the hobbits set about making camp Aragorn hauled the boats up onto the shore and looked to the Eastern bank, mentally preparing for the next day's journey.

"Aragorn." The man looked up, pulled from his thoughts by the familiar voice. Legolas stood further toward the trees, looking over his shoulder at the ranger. Aragorn headed over to his side, concerned about the worried look on the elf's face. "Aragorn I do not think we should stay here."

"We have no other choice," Aragorn replied, confused by the elf's words, "Orcs will be patrolling the Eastern shore."

"It is not the Eastern shore that worries me, Aragorn," the elf continued, meeting Aragorn's eye with a troubled expression, "A shadow and a threat have been growing on my mind."

Aragorn opened his mouth to reply, but before he could Sam noticed, "Mr. Frodo?" the gardener looked about worriedly for his master, who was nowhere in sight. Aragorn looked around as well and was the first one to notice that Boromir was gone as well. So this is it, this is what we have come to. Frodo gone and Boromir... dead. Before this quest I did not know death would be so painful, but maybe it is not Boromir's death that is making me feel this way. Maybe it is the way that Aragorn crouches above him, speaking to him softly as the man of Gondor breathes his last. Maybe it is because he kissed his brow when he was gone.

He kissed me like that once... "You mean not to follow."

It was more a statement than a question, and Aragorn knew better than to answer it as he strapped on his weapons. Frodo and Sam would have to make it to Mordor alone, right now Merry and Pippin needed them more. He looked up to Gimli and Legolas, his eyes meeting the elf's for a brief second, and in that second he all but lay his heart on the floor. Still weary from battle the three hunters would set off to find the last of their companions. The ones who could be saved.

"We shall make such a chase as shall be accounted a marvel among the Three Kindreds; Elves, Dwarves, and Men. Forth the three hunters!"
Chapter end notes: Had to put that last quote in there from the book, I'm a purist at heart I think. Well there you have it, the end of FotR, next chapter we shall move on to TTT, hope you have enjoyed the journey thus far. Review.