Forbidden by Erandir

Chapter notes: Again, sorry for the long wait for this chapter, and again, I still have absolutely nothing planned up 'till... Well... I have a vague idea for something in Edoras, but nothing solid until Aragorn falls off that cliff. I need help, please help. I have to say though, considering I pulled both this chapter and the previous one out of my arse... They are surprisingly good. Ah, the things you learn in religion class - how to completely BS your writing. The three hunters had been running for days; days and days and days, and nights too, with very little rest and still they were not gaining on the Uruk-hai. In fact, it seemed the creatures were even drawing further away. They ran as though their very lives depended on it, and perhaps they did. Who knows what Saruman would hold in store for them when he found out that the Halflings brought to him did not carry the ring. It was something neither Elf, nor Dwarf, nor Man wanted to think about for too long.
It was on one of their all-too-rare stops that Gimli began to notice something was wrong. The Dwarf woke in the middle of the night to find Legolas sitting at the edge of their campsite merely staring up into the stars. Judging by the position of the moon it was well past midnight, and yet the Elf had taken first watch. Gimli glanced over at Aragorn's bedroll, but the Man was still asleep. Legolas was supposed to wake him for his watch hours ago. Confused, and slightly concerned, Gimli forced himself up and trudged over to his Elven friend.

"Elf," He called, as neither of them ever called each other by their actual names, "What are you doing?"

"I am standing watch, master Dwarf," The Elf answered without turning around, "I would think that rather obvious."

Gimli huffed as he came to stand beside his friend, "I can see that, but you were supposed to wake Aragorn hours ago."

"Was I?" Legolas questioned, looking over at the moon, "I must have lost track of the time."

"I can see that. Well, go wake him now, he will be furious with you if he finds out you took his watch."

Legolas looked past his Dwarven companion to where the Man slept still, huddled amongst his blankets to help ward off the chill night air. The two had not spoken often after the incident in 'Lorien, but since the chase had started they had not exchanged a single word. It was almost as though Legolas was afraid to. He was afraid what he would do, what he would say, and so he spoke as little as possible. Of course, he had not spoken that much to begin with, and so Gimli thought nothing of it. Until now. At the thought of having to wake Aragorn, having to interact with him, a look of uncertainty crossed his face. The Elf was worried again. Worried, afraid, and confused.

For a long while Legolas merely stared at the man, and then he simply turned away, looking back at the stars. Gimli raised an eyebrow questioningly, a look that the Elf failed to notice once his back was turned. "Fine then, I will wake him," The Dwarf resigned, turning and heading away muttering, "Crazy Elf." I do not understand these emotions that plague me. Why am I so reluctant to go to Aragorn. I forgave him for what happened in Lorien because... Because I enjoyed it. Because he was gentle with me, he was kind and loving; and yet passionate at the same time. And I have never known that before. I have had male lovers before... Well, a male lover. I thought I loved him, but with Aragorn... With Aragorn it is different. I have never felt this way before. It is something I cannot explain, something far stronger than anything I have ever felt before.

I know that if he were and Elf I would not hesitate to throw myself into his arms and claim him as my own. But I cannot.

Adar would kill me. Or worse: He would kill Aragorn.

I do not think I could stand that.

Every time he is in danger I feel my heart lurch, and my chest tighten in worry. My stomach ties itself in knots as I continually worry for his safety. Only when the battle is over, and I see him alive and well, can I relax once more. When he is hurt I want to soothe him, when he is sad I want to comfort him, when he is in danger I want to protect him.

Is this was love is supposed to feel like?

And if it is, what am I supposed to do? I cannot love him.

Ai! Fate, why do you conspire against me! Do I reject Aragorn and go on with my life, forever holding an unrequited love? Or do I go to him, and risk my father's rage; possibly losing him forever?

Whichever way I chose I am bound to grief.

Yet, depending on which way I choose that grief could be lessened.

No. I already know what it is like to be with him, to lie with him, to be held in his arms. I already know what it is like to love him. I may as well resign myself to my fate. I cannot reject a love I know I want, and I know he wants. I am bound to grief no matter what I choose. So I may as well chose to have some joy until the time when we are torn apart. I may as well let myself love him.

Who am I kidding? I already love him. It happened a long time ago; I do not know how, or when. But I have always loved him. I was just too afraid to admit it to myself.

Well, not anymore.

I am in love with Aragorn.
Chapter end notes: End Notes: That's short, I'm sorry. But you guys did say update faster, so be happy with what you are getting. The plot of this is being written as we speak, meaning, I don't know what's going to happen until it happens. This is so short because when I got to the end of Legolas' monologue, it was such a finite ending point that I couldn't write any more after it. It made a good chapter ending. Aragorn loves Legolas, Legolas loves Aragorn; this is established now. All we need, is for them to get together. This is the hard part. This I have not yet figured out. Hmm... Help?