Forbidden by Erandir

Chapter notes: People requested a lemon for this chapter, and I thought about it, and I started writing it. Then I realized it was not relevant to the plot, and would just make the fic drag on forever (and it has been dragging on long enough). However, I do promise you one after Helm's Deep. Cross my heart and hope to die. You'll see why I could not put one in this chapter, even if it had been a continuation of the last chapter. If you're looking for a lemon go read 'Aphrodisiac' on size=1 width=100% noshade>Who does she think she is? Fawning over Aragorn like that. Can she not see that he shows no interest in her? Does she truly believe that she has a chance with him? She does not. Though, I admit, Aragorn does nothing to spurn her advances. I do not believe he is ignorant to them, but if this continues then she will get the wrong idea. I cannot let that happen.
I am jealous...

I know I should not be, but I am.

Aragorn wants to keep our relationship hidden, at least for now, and I agree. We both know that it may well fall apart when he takes the throne. I do not want it to, I do not want to leave him, but I will likely have to. I either have to give up him, or abandon my people. I doubt I will make Adar understand. That is a decision I do not wish to make.

Still, that does not give Aragorn the right to lead her on... Especially while I am here. "What was that all about?"

Aragorn looked up in confusion as he entered the room he shared with Legolas. His lover stood before him, glaring at Aragorn with his hands on his hips. "What?"

"Do not play innocent with me, Aragorn, you know of what I speak."

"You mean Eowyn?" Aragorn asked.

"Who else?" Legolas asked accusingly, "Why do you lead her on?"

"I have done no such thing," Aragorn was taken aback, "You know I have no interest in her."

"Do you? You have given no indication of that, I doubt she knows!"

"I have made no move to return her advances," Aragorn said defensively.

"You have made no move to spurn them either!"

"Legolas..." the man stepped forward and took his lover's face in his hands, staring into the Elf's blue eyes, "You have nothing to be jealous over. I have no interest in Eowyn, she will figure that out soon enough."

The Elf was nearly crying with frustration at this point, "And what if she does not?" he demanded.

"I will make sure of it," Aragorn vowed, pressing his lips to Legolas' briefly, "You have nothing to worry about."

Legolas pulled away from Aragorn's grasp, "Then make sure of it. There is enough doubt in my life without have to be jealous as well." With that he brushed past his lover and out the door. Aragorn stared after him in confusion, he had thought these fights would stop after they had admitted their feelings, he was wrong. Legolas stormed out of the Meduseld, he would not let his anger show however, he would never let his feeling show. He moved to the far corner of the stone porch and stood staring out across he plains. Needless to say he had never been quite comfortable in this city, especially since he seemed so out of place. He wanted to leave, but Aragorn was determined to help the people here, and he would not leave his lover's side.

Yet since before they had become lovers Legolas had had his doubts.

"Oi, crazy Elf." Legolas looked over his shoulder to see Gimli approaching. "What are ye doin' out here all by yourself?"

"Aragorn and I had a fight," the Elf answered.

"Again?"

He could not help but smile faintly at that, "No, this was not like before."

"A lover's spat, then?"

Legolas blushed faintly and turned away, "Aye, you could say that. I fear I am jealous of the Lady Eowyn, Aragorn shows her more affection than he does me."

"But Aragorn does not love her, that is clear enough," Gimli reasoned, "And have you both not agreed to keep your relationship quiet?"

"We have," Legolas said with a resigned sigh, "But I cannot help being jealous. Gimli... I cannot stay with him forever. He will be king one day, and he will need an heir. I... I cannot give him that."

The Dwarf nodded sagely and looked up at his odd companion, "Have you told him this?"

"We have never spoken of it," Legolas admitted sheepishly, "But he knows I cannot have children."

"I would think that obvious," Gimli said dryly, "Unless there is something you are not telling me."

The Elf could not help but smile, "Nay," he said softly.

"Then you should speak to Aragorn about this, he will want to know."

"You are right, Gimli. Thank you."

"Any time, crazy Elf." This should not make me so nervous. I am just going to tell him things he already knows. Maybe I am afraid he will confirm my fears, we did say my Adar would never find out. But that would mean leaving Aragorn, and now that we are together, now that I finally have him... I do not think I can do that.

Do I betray my heart, or my people? Or do I do neither and watch Aragorn marry someone else? Can I watch him marry someone else knowing how we both feel?

Ai, Elbereth, why do you make my life so difficult! Legolas had made up his mind to talk to his lover that day. To make up with him before anything else happened, but when he returned to their room Aragorn was not there. He thought for a moment about going to find the Ranger, but then realized he could not speak to him about it in public. Not after their agreement of secrecy. Letting out a dejected sigh he began to pack his few belongings for the long trip to Helm's Deep.

He would have little to no chance to be alone with his lover on the trip, and now regretted parting ways so harshly. He would now have to wait days to speak to him again, unless he could find him this night.

But Legolas never did find his lover that night, for the Ranger never returned to their room. This worried the Elf, and when he spoke to Gimli about it the Dwarf told him that Aragorn had appeared in his room around midnight. The man had said he was unable to face Legolas until he had fulfilled the Elf's wishes. This made Legolas regret his actions all the more, and though he tried and tried he never managed to get Aragorn alone.

Through the days they traveled the prince watched him from afar. Then, at night, Aragorn would take no watch and head immediately to his bedroll. And though Legolas tried with all his might he could not manage to get the Ranger alone.

It worried him, and it hurt. Why would his lover not talk to him? Why would he ignore him? He was beginning to understand how the man must have felt before. It was horrible, but Legolas knew it was his fault, because he was jealous, and that made it all the worse. And he knew there would be no way to apologize until they reached their destination.

Then the unthinkable happened.

Legolas walked at the head of the company, keeping his distance from Aragorn. He had been lost in his thoughts when he heard the agonized scream coming from the two scouts ahead. He ran to see what was wrong. Aragorn, hearing the scream as well as seeing his lover dash toward it, set off running after him. His worry proved unnecessary though, for when he arrived the Elf had already disposed of the Orcish scout.

Not sparing a second glance Aragorn spun and ran back toward the refugees with the warning: "We're under attack!" Though Legolas had tried to keep an eye on his lover throughout the battle the task proved harder than expected. He often had his back turned on the man while fighting, or the enemy obscured his view, and eventually he lost sight of Aragorn in the chaos.

When the battle was over he looked around, but there was no sign of the man. "Aragorn!" Legolas called out, fearing his lover to be injured, but there was no response. "Aragorn!" he called again, but still there was nothing. "ARAGORN!" Now Gimli joined in the search, sensing the desperation that his companion would not let show.

But there was no sign of Aragorn.