Forbidden by Erandir

Chapter notes: This fic, from now on... is movie based, it used to be book based, and now it's not, because I know the movie better than the book, and this makes it much easier for me. Sorry last chapter was so short, just a bit of a teaser/prolouge thingie, so you know what's going on. This update is rather quick because I already had part of this chapter written when I posted the last one, the next update won't be so speedy.
After being forbidden from seeing Estel I am now being sent as a messenger to Imladris. Although I suppose I am a fool to hope, or even imagine, that Estel - or Aragorn as he is now called - I am a fool to hope that he would still live there.

It is a bit hard to believe that the child I met all those years ago is destined to become the King of Gondor. He sent me a letter, one I never showed my father, and one I hope he never finds. I got it a few weeks after his twentieth birthday, by the sound of it he was devastated, he said he did not want this, I kind of felt sorry for him. But this is why I am forbidden from seeing him.

Bloody stupid law if you ask me.

Well, I guess if he is there then I cannot speak to him, and if he is not... Then I have nothing to worry about.




The Prince of Mirkwood strode through the halls of Rivendell, so far there had been no sign of the mortal king. What luck.

He leaned against a railing and looked out at the gardens in the valley below. The sun was just setting behind the trees and hills, turning everything a warm golden red. Legolas smiled as he looked out at the breathtaking sight. The prince would always love Mirkwood, it was his home, but Imladris was one of the most beautiful places he had ever been.




Legolas thought he would only be in Rivendell a few days. Arrive, deliver the message, and leave, just like always. But Lord Elrond had other plans. The Lord of Rivendell had called a council, he would not tell the reason, only said it was important, and that Legolas' message could wait until then.

The council would be held in a few days, and Aragorn would be there, along with other men from Gondor.

The last of the blond prince's luck just flew out the window.




He had been stressing about the council for a good three days, but now that Legolas was there he found himself far more relaxed than he thought he would be.

Until he found out why he was there.

The Ring of Power, the One Ring, it had been found, and now it sat on a pedestal before the entire council. A council of elves, men, halflings and, much to Legolas' dismay, dwarves. In his mind dwarves could be almost worse than men, and that was saying something for an elf of Mirkwood.

"'Tis a gift, a gift to the foes of Mordor," Spoke one man, standing as he addressed the council, "Long has my father, the Steward of Gondor, kept the forces of Mordor at bay. By the blood of our people are your lands kept safe. Give Gondor the weapon of the enemy, let us use it against him."

Aragorn stood abruptly and faced the man, "You cannot wield it, none of us can. The One Ring answers to Sauron alone."

"And what would a mere ranger know of this?" The man said, spitting the word 'ranger' as if it were poison.

"This is no mere ranger, he is Aragorn, son of Arathorn, you owe him your allegiance," the words had left Legolas' mouth before he knew what he was saying and he immediately regretted it.

The Gondorian man looked to Legolas for a moment, then turned back to Aragorn, "This..." he said, disbelieving, "Is Isildur's heir?"

"And heir to the throne of Gondor," again, the words were spoken before he knew he had said them.

Aragorn's eyes turned to the blond prince, "Havo dad, Legolas." The elf sat swiftly, crossing his arms over his chest as he did so and turning a look of utter contempt on both men.

"Gondor has no king, Gondor needs no king."




And so I find myself on a quest. A quest with Aragorn. And that other man, Boromir I believe his name was. And a dwarf. We leave in a few days, and now I ask myself why, exactly, did I volunter to do this? This is the stupidest thing I have ever done, and I have done some fairly stupid things in my life.

But not this stupid.

I am not permitted to become friends with them, to speak to them. Hell, I am not even supposed to know them. And all would have been well and good if Aragorn had never come to Mirkwood as a child, or if father had not sent me with this message.

I wonder how he will react when he finds out I am journeying to Mordor with two men, a dwarf, four halfling and Mithrandir in order to destroy the One Ring and save the world.

He probably will not care.

He never does.

Or he will be furious... I have know way of knowing.




"Legolas."

The elf did not look up, he did not have to, "Aragorn," he said curtly, acknowledging the man.

The ranger frowned, it seemed odd that the elf would not greet him after so many years, "Is something wrong?"

"Go away, Aragorn."

The man blinked in surprise, "Why?"

Legolas sighed, "You know the laws as well as I do, I cannot speak with you."

"I know the laws, but I do not understand them."

"No one ever said you had to," the prince informed him, "Go away."

"We are not in Mirkwood, Legolas," Aragorn argued angrily, "Your father is not here, ignor the bloody law!"

Legolas spun around to face the man, blond hair flying into his face as he did so, he brushed it aside in annoyance, "Could it have occured to you," he spat, "That I do not wish to ignor said law?!"

Aragorn drew back a step, the elf's face was a mask of anger and hate, "You have changed, Legolas, you are not the elf I knew."

"No, Aragorn, You are the one who has changed," the prince growled, "You are no longer a child, I need not be kind to you, I need not pretend any more!" With that, the blond prince strode off down the coridor angrily, leaving in his wake a very confused and offended future king.