Forbidden by Erandir

"Aragorn!"

The man was pulled from his thoughts and spun around in time to see the ringbearer lifted into the air by an enormous tentacle. That was not good. He rushed from the mines and toward the water, drawing his sword as he ran. Blindly the ranger hacked at the Watcher. Out of the corner of his eye he noticed two arrows fly past and imbed themselves in the creature's eye. It writhed in pain and lashed out at them, giving Boromir the opportunity to slice at the tentacle holding Frodo. The hobbit fell directly into Aragorn's arms, how handy.

"Into the mines!"

Aragorn was fairly sure that was Gandalf so he followed the order, dropping the ringbearer to his feet and rushing him into the mines. Turning around to make sure the rest followed, the ranger was confronted with the entire wall falling to rubble. He noticed Legolas run past him and suddenly there were hands on his shoulders. Even in the dark he could tell it was the elf as he looked over his shoulder, the faint natural glow that surrounded him made him stand out from the rest of the group, all just darker shadows in the lightless caverns.

His eyes met Legolas' and he froze. The elf was afraid. Really and truly afraid, Aragorn could not believe it. Then a dim light was cast across the area as Gandalf's staff was lit, and Legolas swiftly released Aragorn's shoulders and turned away.




It is dark, it is far too dark. I do not like it, I do not like it at all. I hate this place.

There is no light, no life, no wind. I can barely breathe, for the air is thick with the smell of death. Everything here is dead. I do not like it, I do not think I can stand it. All is death, and cold, and dark. I feel I am suffocating.

I do not think I can stand it any longer. I wish to be out of this horrid place as swiftly as possible. Why did we ever come here?




Legolas sat next to the fire, however small it was it provided him with some form of strength. His knees were pulled up to his chest, his arms wrapped around them. The mines were nothing but torture to the woodland elf. Three days the fellowship would be in the mines, three days of hell for the elf. It had already been one day, if one could call it a day, for the hours could not be counted without seeing the sun rise and set.

The elf's face was set in a mask, he tried to hide the fear and pain, but his eyes showed his feelings, and Aragorn noticed this. Ever since they had entered the mines, since he had seen the look of terror in the elf's eyes, Aragorn had been watching him.

Never when they were in the wild had the blond prince sat so close to their fire, he had always stood just on the edge of the light staring at the trees or the stars, or anything he pleased. Here there was none of that, no stars, no trees, no wind, no grass, no moon, nothing. That is what had Aragorn worried. To keep an elf cut off from nature was essentially to kill him, and the ranger knew that.

He rose slowly so as not to startle the elf, first sitting up and shaking off the last shreds of sleep. Then standing and stretching he looked over to Legolas and found the elf's eyes upon him. The blond prince looked away swiftly, embarrassed at having been caught staring. That only gave Aragorn more inspiration. He walked over to the elf and sat down next to him.

Legolas stared into the fire, trying as best he could to ignore the man next to him. He could not understand why Aragorn seemed so determined to make him break the laws of his father.

"Are you all right?"

The elf looked up upon being addressed, "I am fine," he answered without looking at the ranger.

"You do not look it," Aragorn told him, "You do not like it here, do you?" The elf did not answer, so he continued, "I understand how you feel, I am not as ignorant as you think."

"I do not think you are ignorant," Legolas said defensively, turning to the man.

The ranger looked at him for a moment, "Then I must tell you that you are a horrible liar." The blonde's eyes fell back to the ground. "Something troubles you, Legolas, I can tell," the man paused, waiting to see if the elf would speak. When he did not, Aragorn continued, "I know how this place effects you, I can see it in your eyes. You are afraid."

Legolas shook his head and replied meekly, "I am not afraid."

"You are, though," the man said, "I would gladly give you council, if only you would ask. I want to help you, Legolas."

There was a silence after Aragorn spoke, as there often seemed to be in their conversations. He watched Legolas worriedly, the mines were effecting him, that the ranger could tell, and he truly did want to help the elf, he wanted to befriend him. The silence seemed to stretch for eternity, and Aragorn was about to apologize and leave, when finally the elf spoke up, "It is this place," he said softly, his voice barely above a whisper and he did not look up from the ground, "I do not like it here, it is far too dark, and the air... The air is thick with death, I cannot stand it."




I knew it. Legolas was just to stubborn to admit, but the mines are hurting him. I am not as stupid as he thinks, I know how places like this effect elves, I was raised by them.

And I do feel sorry for him, he should not have to be put through this kind of pain. It is not healthy.




Legolas stiffened almost immediately as he felt an arm drape across his shoulders. He looked up to see Aragorn smiling down at him and blinked. What exactly was the man doing? "A-Aragorn?"

"You do not have to suffer in silence, Legolas," The man told him.

The elf sighed and dropped his chin to his chest once more, "But I do," he said softly. He wished he did not, it was a sign of weakness, and weakness would only hinder this quest. He had to be strong, after all, Mordor would be far worse than this, right? But then again, whatever does not kill you makes you stronger. Legolas sighed again.

Aragorn had not said a word, he simply sat beside the elf with an arm around his shoulders, lending silent support. He was not surprised when Legolas relaxed. He was surprised though when the elf leaned up against him, resting his head on Aragorn's shoulder.