Forbidden by Erandir

Chapter notes: I know I said that this chapter would finish Moria, but I decided that nothing really important to the plot line of this fic happens right there, so I skipped it because otherwise this fic will go on forever and never end (it could be a novel, oh, I wonder if I could sell that...). Sorry this update took sooooo long, was gone, and then started writing a novel and got caught up in that.
More running, they were always running it seemed, running from something that is. First orcs, then a Balrog, now orcs again. The company stumbled down the side of the mountains toward the elven forest of Lothlorien that stretched out before them. If they reached it before nightfall they could outrun the orcs and reach safety. If not, well, Aragorn did not want to think about what would happen should they not make it. The ranger glanced behind himself to make sure the others still followed, and they did. Boromir was running in front, only a few paces behind, as was Legolas. The hobbits and Gimli were last, their short legs slowing them down, but they did their best to keep up knowing the consequences should they not.

Since that first night in Moria Legolas and Aragorn had not spoken, at least not at length. The elf seemed to be avoiding Aragorn even more now than before, and the man was rather confused. First the elf avoids him, then befriends him, then avoids him again. Hopefully something would get explained when they got to Lothlorien.


Legolas' heart was lighter now that they were in an Elven realm, he could finally let himself relax for the first time since the company had left Rivendell. Somehow during their journey through the mines he had made friends with the Dwarf, the race did not seem to be as horrible as he had once expected, and at least this was not forbidden by his father.

Now his mind was back on Aragorn, his thoughts seemed to be drifting to the man more often now. The blond prince wanted to be friends with the ranger, he really did, but he also did not want to disobey his father. Knowing his father if he found out his own son had broken a law Legolas could be thrown in the dungeons, disowned, or even banished forever. Needless to say that was not exactly on the prince's 'to do' list.

And if that one night in Moria had told him anything, it was that if he was around Aragorn he would probably have the urge to talk to him. So he avoided the man as much as possible, which was much easier now that he did not have to worry about straying too far from the rest of the fellowship. Yet it was still unimaginably hard.

What is wrong with me? Ai, Elbereth, everything is so complicated now because of Ada. Because he enforces this law so severely I would be punished for even speaking with a human. Come to think of it, why does he despise them so much?

And Aragorn is quite determined to have me betray my father. He seems only encouraged by my actions in the mines, not that I can blame him. I was weak, and now I am ashamed, but I cannot help being afraid of the dark. I only wish that...

"What is wrong?" Legolas was pulled out of his thoughts and looked down the see the young ringbearer standing beneath the tree where he was perched and looking up. The elf made no move to answer and the Hobbit looked concerned, "Something has been bothering you," he observed.

"I am fine, young master Hobbit," The elf said, leaning down slightly, though not enough to hinder his balance on the branch, and smiling to the halfling, "Do not worry yourself with me, your burden is far worse than mine."

Frodo continued to look up at the blond elf, "It is Strider, is it not?" Legolas blinked, by the Valar, let it never be said that halflings were unobservant or slow on the uptake, least not this one. There was a moment of silence, Legolas' smile faded and he sighed. "Would you like to talk?" Frodo questioned.

He slid down from the tree and sat on the ground beside the halfling. There was a moment of silence. Legolas did not particularly want to talk about what was troubling him, but he also did not wish to seem mean to the halfling. Frodo seemed also to understand the elf's unwillingness to talk. As the somewhat awkward silence hovered about them the hobbit sat down beside him and waited for the blond prince to say whatever he wished. It took another few moments before Legolas had gathered the courage, and the right words to say what he wished.

"You are right... It is Aragorn," the elf said with a sigh, "I do not understand why he tries so hard to befriend me. He knows very well I would betray my father by doing so."

"Do you want to befriend him as well?" The question was asked softly, almost hesitantly, and Legolas answered with the same nervousness.

"Yes."

"Then why do you care what your father thinks?" Frodo asked, standing up once more, "Do whatever you think is right," The halfling smiled once more before turning and heading back to the camp.

Legolas remained where he sat for a long while afterward. Was Frodo right? Had not Aragorn said himself that he thought the law to be foolish and outdated? Did not Legolas hate it as well? For years it had kept him from the human, who he had thought of as a trusted friend. The elven prince wanted to ignore the law but he was afraid of what would happen to him if his father should find out. The elven king was known far and wide for his temper. Could Legolas risk being banished forever from the once place he called home? Maybe, just maybe.
Chapter end notes: Three cheers for Frodo's cameo! Huzzah! Ok, right, the hobbit everyone loves has had lines, now the world is at peace. Not to mention he was rather helpful in getting our dear, beloved, stubborn prince to show some emotion towards our wonderfully scruffy soon-to-be king. The plot progresses forward.