Forbidden by Erandir

Chapter notes: Terribly sorry for the sever lack of updation in this little fic. The also rather sever lack of reviews might have something to do with this looks accusingly at readers I've also begun to notice that Legolas seems horribly out of character, I'll try to fix that, unless no one has a problem with it that is, then it can stay that way. He should start acting more himself eventually doesn't want to give away story.
Legolas was nervous, unbelievably nervous, perhaps more nervous than he had been in his whole life. It seemed strange to him that the cause of his nervousness was so small a thing as speaking. After the conversation he had had with Frodo, the blond elf had remained by himself for a very long time, contemplating the truth in the hobbit's words. In the end he kept coming to the same conclusion, he was going to have to speak with Aragorn. Still it confused Legolas that it should cause him such apprehension.

At the moment, the elf paced back and forth just outside the clearing where the Fellowship was being housed for the duration of their stay in the Golden Wood. He raked his brain for what to say to the ranger, everything he went over in his mind just sounded stupid, and it just kept getting worse. With a dejected sigh he stopped and looked up through the branches to the blue sky, how could he have come to this?

"Legolas?" The elf prince jumped in surprise and spun around. "I am sorry, I did not mean to frighten you."

"Aragorn..." Legolas stuttered and looked away, "'Tis fine, I just did not hear you approach."

The man nodded, though something in his expression said he did not quite believe the excuse, "Frodo said you wished to speak with me."

Legolas blinked, why would Frodo tell him that? He had never mentioned to the hobbit that he was actually going to speak to Aragorn. Actually, he had not even admitted it to himself, but now it seemed he was forced to. "I... uh..." he hesitated, what was he supposed to say? "I wanted to.. uh... apologize... for the way I have been acting toward you, it has been unkind." There, that sounded good, right?

"You need not apologize, Legolas," Aragorn replied, smiling faintly, though it seemed to Legolas not genuine, but almost bitter "I understand your wish not to disobey your father's orders."

The obvious biting tone hurt and Legolas spoke without thinking, "I have been thinking," the blond prince began, "Maybe you are right, maybe it is pointless, outdated. Besides, we are at war, many laws are broken for the sake of freedom."

Well, that was a change. One moment he's at my throat about having to uphold his father's law, the next he completely abandons it? This cannot be what he really believes, can it? Or has his chat with Frodo finally shown him the light? Well whatever caused this sudden change of heart, I am not complaining. Perhaps now things can go back to how they were before, when I was a child.

Aragorn smiled, "I am glad you feel that way, it would have been hard to go through this quest being unable to speak to you." Legolas nodded but said nothing and the two stood there in silence for a long moment, regarding each other. After a long moment Aragorn looked away, "I should.... uh... get back to the Fellowship." Legolas nodded again and his eyes fell to the ground, a slight blush tinting his cheeks.

"I am glad we had this talk, Aragorn."

The man smiled, "As am I."




The next days in Lothlorien went much smoother. Though the elf spent little time amongst his companions the tension between Aragorn and Legolas had lessened, making the whole Fellowship seem more relaxed. Both elf and man were also glad to have the issue worked out, it was a great weight off their mind, but with the newfound friendship they had unwittingly created a bigger problem, and a greater tension between them.

Legolas on the lowest branch of a tree near the Fellowship's camp staring up at the sky through leaves, one leg stretched out along the branch the other dangling below. He smiled, all thought of the ring and Sauron momentarily out of his mind as he enjoyed the peace of the forest. The peace that was shattered a moment latter as he nearly fell from the tree when someone tugged unexpectedly at his foot. The blond prince grasped onto the branch beside him to steady himself and panted softly after his heart skipped a beat.

He looked down to see who had startled him so only to find Aragorn staring up at him, smiling sheepishly. "Sorry," The man said, obviously embarrassed, "I did not mean to frighten you."

The elf nodded as his breathing returned to normal and he slowly released the branch he had been holding, realizing now, at the sight of white knuckles, just how tight his grip had been. "You seem to be doing that a lot lately," he replied, his voice still slightly shaky.

"And for that I apologize," The ranger said again, "I have never known you to be caught off guard as much as you seem to be lately. Does something trouble you?"

There was a short moment of silence as Legolas considered his answer, "I am fine, just thinking."

"About what?"

"Nothing important," Legolas smiled back down at Aragorn briefly before looking up toward the sky again.




Valar he is beautiful. I know not how I did not see it before, but he outshines the stars. I feel a stirring in my heart I have not felt since I was a boy living in Rivendell. Come to think of it, the last time I felt this way... It was toward Legolas. I did not understand it then, but I do now. I think I am in love.

I am in love.

I am in love with Legolas.

This is not right, I should not feel this way, not toward him. He is... He is. He would never feel that way toward me anyway so it does not matter. And even if he did, what would his father think? His father would tear us apart or worse. No, it is best I do not act on this, only harm can come of it.

Dear Valar I wish I could. He is gorgeous.

But he is an elf, and an elf would never bind himself to a mortal. It can only mean death for them, and I would not bring that upon him. I would never bring that upon him. And I cannot see him bringing it upon himself; he deserves a full life. To enjoy his time in Middle-Earth and then to sail West with his kin.

I will not deny him that. Even if he does feel for me.

Which I highly doubt anyway.