Forbidden by Erandir

Chapter notes: Going back to the old writing style with this one. ^^;;
What have I done?

I should not have done that, I feel horrible now. He trusted me, as a friend. Did I need him that much? What was I thinking? I... I... Seduced him. No, no seduced is not a good word, it sounds bad. But then again, what I did was bad. At the time he may have consented, but now I know he regrets it. He is never going to trust me again. I all but forced myself upon him.

I should go and apologize... But he told me to stay away. He told me never to talk to him again. Not to touch him again.

What am I going to do?




Aragorn's heart nearly broke at the thought of never being able to touch his beloved elf ever again. To be forbidden from touching him, holding him, loving him.

The man let out a heartbroken sigh and hit his head against the tree behind him, he had been such a fool. He had completely ruined everything he had worked so hard to earn, Legolas' friendship, his trust... His love.

His love?

Did Legolas even love him back? Or had he simply lost his mind in a moment of passion? Like Aragorn had. The ranger sighed again, it was hopeless, Legolas would never even look at him again let alone give Aragorn a chance to prove his love.

He brought a hand up to his head and rubbed his temples. He should at least talk to him, apologize, explain himself. Aragorn nodded, yes, that's what he would do, explain himself. But what was there to explain? He loved Legolas more than he had thought it possible to love anyone. So far he was not doing a good job of showing it, so why would Legolas believe him now?

But he had to at least try.




"Legolas?"

The elf looked up and gasped. He scrambled to his feet swiftly, reaching a hand out in front of him as Aragorn approached, "I told you to stay away from me," he said, his voice almost panicked.

The man froze instantly, not wanting to offend the elf any more than he already had. "I just wanted to apologize," he said, bowing his head to look at the leaves beneath his feet. "I do not know what I was thinking, and I realize now I should not have coerced you into it." He chanced a look up a the elf who stood as far away from him as possible. "I understand if you no longer wish to see me. You have every reason to hate me now after what I did last night, but I ask you one thing..."

Legolas looked at him suspiciously, remembering vividly what had happened the last time Aragorn had asked something of him, "What?"

Aragorn took a deep breath before continuing, "I ask you only to realize that I was not myself last night, but still, I love you with all my heart. I know what I did was wrong, but Legolas, please understand that I love you more than I thought possible," He paused, waiting to see if the elven prince would say anything, when he did not Aragorn spoke again. "I would hold no grudge against you if you chose to discontinue the quest from this point. It would not be dishonorable for you to remain here, or return to your home. Your father need never know of this, I will tell no one. I understand completely if you no longer trust me. Your choice is your own, but if you wish to continue with us, we will be leaving on the morrow."

With that said, the man bowed slightly to Legolas and left him, never expecting to see him again.

So, needless to say Aragorn was surprised to see Legolas waiting with the rest of the fellowship the next day as they bid farewell to the Lord and Lady of the Golden Wood.

The elf stood by the boats, speaking amiably with the hobbits as they packed their belongings for the downriver journey. He looked up as Aragorn approached the river where the boats waited. Their eyes met, and for an instant the ranger thought he saw something there, not hate, nor fear; but Legolas turned away before Aragorn had a chance to identify it.

The rest of the day left Aragorn constantly wondering why the elf continued to travel with them. Legolas had volunteered for the quest, but had every right to leave if he wished. The man dared not even think that perhaps Legolas wished to continue because of him, it was a foolish hope. Be that as it may, he could not help but hope, and it was not until that night that he spoke with the elf again.

He had just had a rather disconcerting conversation with Boromir about the direction of the quest. Aragorn now sat at the bank of the river staring blankly as the moonlight reflected off the dark waters. He did not even notice the elf's approach until Legolas sat down next to him. He looked over at the elf in surprise as he sat down.

"I pledged myself to the quest Aragorn," the prince said, his eyes never resting on the man beside him, "I cannot leave until it is finished, no matter what you say." There was a long silence as both stared out at the open water, then Legolas spoke again, "My father will never hear of this, he will kill you and disown me if he does. All the same, I will never forget it," he turned and placed a chaste kiss on the ranger's stubbled cheek, stood and left.

Aragorn froze for a long moment, and by the time he regained control of his mind to look after the elf he was gone. He blinked once before a grin spread slowly across his face. There was hope.