The Whispering of the Willow Trees by Elvensong

The two elves and one man set out on the journey as quickly as supplies could be gathered. Not before the twins had seen their sister, though. Entering her room was a chilling moment for Elrohir and Elladan, for the pair had always known Arwen as the strong and beautiful elf maiden she had been.

Now, her relapse had been violent and consuming. She did not respond to their cheerful bantering, which had always brought her out of any ill mood she could put herself into or thrown into by dark events. Their reputation for playfulness and mischief was known throughout the lands of elves, men and even dwarves.

Together they kept her company, though they were unsure if she even knew they were there. Her face was a mask of exhaustion brought on my pain and a remedy given to her by Mithrandir. The Wizard thought it best to keep her sedated in order to keep the strain on her body and mind to a minimum.




The paths of the forests taken by the Mirkwood Elves left no trace of their passing. Only Aragorn's knowledge of route Legolas would take when they were together guided him in their venture. Few words were spoken and even the trees were silent, almost as if they were afraid to speak.

The sun was shining, but the humidity was high. Perfect weather for a storm to brew and one could feel it forming and begin its journey towards their position.

Finally, after a driving the horses almost to collapse, the forest parted into a grassy plain. Here the wind was able to find them much easier and give them the comfort that only a cool breeze can provide.

The grasses were high, and there still lay no exact path telling of the passing of Legolas and his company. Here, however, the land did speak and the twins knew that this was not a welcoming place, that something fell had happened here.

"I believe we should be careful here. Something is amiss and it is not safe even now."

Aragorn nodded at Elrohir's words. He may not have the perception of a firstborn, but even a man can tell when to keep his guard up.

High clouds began rolling in, causing the brightness of the sun to decrease. The black clouds were finally visible with their flashes of light and encroaching grumbles. Soon, it would hit and they were in a grassy and unprotected plain.

"We should keep moving."

Elladan used his gifted vision to peer into the distance, "I can see the forest of Mirkwood, and if we keep up this pace for just a while longer the thick wood will provide shelter enough for us to wait out the storm."

A few fat drops began to fall sporadically around them, every now and then landing on the Ranger's head. The lightning was now just about their heads and the timing between the flashes of light and the following thunder told them the main body of the storm was very close indeed.

Their haste would not be deterred and Aragorn only saw tall grasses in front of him and felt them graze along his shins with their sharp edges. It would not be long now, the darkening wood was only a moment away.

Suddenly, the grasses cleared. They entered an area where all that stood high was now trampled down and broken. Their horses were even startled by the sharp change in the environment, bucking and stopping in fright.

However, it was not the grass that truly scared the horses, but seeing one of their own laying dead in front of them.

The clouds broke, the thunder rolled and the rain came down in sheets.

"Legolas' mount." Aragorn whispered, but not soft enough for his companion's ears to miss the man's fear at what this sign meant.

Dismounting quickly, Aragorn ran to the fallen horse. An arrow in its thigh had felled the beast, but a jagged slick through its neck by a dull orc blade had ended its life.

"Aragorn!" Elrohir shouted, "Do not allow yourself to be distracted. We do not know if the enemy lingers!" The storm caused Estel to still barely hear his foster brother.

The horse's cruel fate brought grief into Aragorn's mind, but the thought of what this meant for his friend brought sheer terror into his soul.

They could only continue as they had done. Their only hope was to find at least one of the Mirkwood Elves and find the answers they so desperately needed.

Arwen was relapsing, which meant that Legolas was hurt or could even have been slain. There was no evidence of either here. Aragorn did not notice the small gathering of bright elven blood as the waters of the storm soaked and faded it into the ground.