The Whispering of the Willow Trees by Elvensong

In the armory, all the elves prepared themselves. Grabbing weapons and anything to fight an enemy, they surged into the center courtyard of the palace. Wearing only light armor, in accordance with Mirkwood tradition, they were ready and eager to face their enemies.

"The enemy has been assessed. They are amassed only a short distance from this very spot that we all stand. We only have one try at this, if we fail then that is the end. If we succeed, we can live life in a way that few have known, in peace!"

The elves smiled at Legolas words, waiting for him to continue. They knew that he was now his father's son and the true king.

"The forest has been our friend and home for all of our existence. We will not abandon it to the enemy, we will not leave it to be destroyed!"

Immediately, they began streaming out of the courtyard and headed south, where an army awaited them.

Turning to join his people, Legolas ran face to face with Aragorn. The man was holding his powerful sword at the ready.

"I cannot ask you to join us, Aragorn."

A small smile crossed Aragorn's face, "You cannot deny me either. You stood with me against impossible odds so I shall stand with you."

Apprehension showed in Legolas' face and one thought pressed in on his mind, "If we fail two lands will lose their leaders. Gondor cannot afford to lose you."

Shrugging, Aragorn responded, "Then we had better not fail."

Legolas returned his friend's smile.

The elves of Mirkwood marched throughout the night, coming across their foe as dawn's light began forcing the darkness into retreat.

So too, did the elves force darkness into retreat.

The armies that camped in the wood did not anticipate such an attack from an enemy believed to be defeated. An enemy that they had made to be leaderless and lost in a sea of despair, but from this sea of blackness a beacon shone brightly, leading them to safety.

There was none who had more power to overcome that which sought to destroy than the elves' new king.

Aragorn returned to Gondor, to his wife's side and with great expectations of the arrival of their son.

Arwen stood by her husband's side with a renewed sense of understanding of the human condition and of what being mortal means. She could see beyond the surface, into who and what a person really was.

As for Legolas, he ruled in Eryn Lasgalen for many years, until building Ithilien and finally, after all his adventures, sailing went into the Undying Lands leaving the willow trees to whisper and hope to be heard by those left behind.
Chapter end notes: Thank you for reading my story, it has gone longer than I originally thought. The attention it received kept it alive and credit for a lot of it must go to the readers.

I am quite excited now, for I am now working on a new story which will be, in my opinion, one plot that promises something wonderful. I am working on this harder than any other story I have written thus far and hope to give it great imagery and depth beyond anything else I have done. Please keep an eye out for it, for I hope to begin sharing it with you soon.

In the meantime, Namarie and Blessed Be, my friends!

Elvensong