The Whispering of the Willow Trees by Elvensong

Looking out over the great fields of man, all one could see was the pure white of the winter snows. Aragorn waiting to see the figure the scouts reported emerging from the woods. The dark figure of a winter bird pierced the blinding colorless landscape.

It was many moments before he could hear the sounds of the horse bearing a rider towards him and still, he could see nothing. Finally, a form began to take shape in the fields, just coming over the horizon. The fact that the one approaching was white himself did not improve one's ability to spot him.

"Gandalf!" Aragorn ran from the gates, to the surprise of the guards standing there unsure if they should follow their king.

Shadowfax and Gandalf together only added more white to the terrible winter winds, and Aragorn would have thought him a vision if he did not touch the great steed upon reaching his great friend.

"Yes, Aragorn King, it is I. I thought I should drop by and see how Gondor is faring in these times of uncertainty." Gandalf's warm smile could always be welcomed, even in the darkest times of the greatest despair. Memories of that smile even when all had seemed lost stayed in the Kings mind.

Leading Gandalf towards the gates Aragorn spoke, "We fair as well as can be expected. The great evil of this land may have been defeated, but there is more brewing and I do not think enemies of old has brought this upon us."

Dismounting, Gandalf turned grim, "I had hoped not to hear such news, Aragorn. For Rohan is also reporting that a new foe is appearing in the form of a disease that has no cure and gives a lengthy and terrible end to those infected."

The pair stood in the courtyard silently. The great walls of the palace protected them from the worst of the winds, but the snow always seemed to find a way around any obstacle it may encounter.

Snapping out of his thoughts, Aragorn remembered his manners, "Come, let us find somewhere warm and have some tea. I'm sure you have been traveling a fair distance and are cold through the bone." Gandalf followed the King after assuring that Shadowfax would be well taken care of.




The tea was hot in the Wizard's hands and brought even more warmth to him from the inside, but even the cheer of a hot drink was wasted on the tidings given.

"I have been throughout the lands, touring their states. Things are in a foul disrepair, Aragorn. Rivendell and Lothlorien are all but abandoned, the only true remaining grouping of elves is in Mirkwood. However, the realm of Thranduil are under constant attack from the foes leftover from the evil that once inhabited the land. Thinking the elves weak due to their diminished numbers, they attack at all times, day in and day out."

Aragorn thought of his friend, "What news of Legolas? How does he fair?"

"He is well, Aragorn. As well as can be expected for the only heir to a ravaged land. I did not see him while I saw there, for he was commanding a scouting party on their southern border. I'm sure he would extend greetings to you, Aragorn, for you are quite dear to him."

"And he to me, Gandalf, but I fear that the need grows stronger for him and those few left in that last kingdom of the elves to depart for the Havens."

Gandalf thought on those words, "That choice is always before them, they will leave when they must, no sooner."

The line of questioning was broken when Arwen stepped into the magnificent sitting room the two were in. The beautiful tapestries hung in shades of deep blue and burgundy and they added a sense of warmth increased by the tall fire in the beautiful fireplace.

"Greetings to you, Gandalf the White. It is indeed a joyful day when you grace out kingdom, though such an unexpected visit." Her grace remained with her as she crossed the tile floor to see the Wizard closer.

Gandalf rose, as did Aragorn. The old Wizard smiled at his friend of so many centuries, "Arwen, the Evenstar of your people you now and always will remain."

"You wear so many robes, my love." Arwen had three heavy robes on in addition to her regular gowns, which were always beautifully flowing around her form.

She peered at her husband, "It is true, but it was been extraordinarily cold in this wintertime, don't you think?"

Aragorn raised an eyebrow, "Not so much in the castle here that you should require all of that."

Having listened to the conversation for a moment, Gandalf chimed in, "Come here, Arwen." Hesitating, she approached him and stood. He raised one hand and touched her face, looked into her eyes for a moment, then lowered his hand once more.

"You have a fever, Arwen."