The Whispering of the Willow Trees by Elvensong

Aragorn paced up and down the long hallway outside of his and Arwen's bedchambers. The fair maiden knew he would be upset and did not wish him near her while Gandalf sat with her to look over her condition.

Just when the King thought he could see a trail from all the walking, the White Wizard emerged from the room. Waiting with baited breath, Aragorn heard the small sigh escape his friend's mouth.

"I'm afraid it is the disease, Aragorn, though in its very early stages." Gandalf could barely make eye contact with his friend, for fear of seeing the despair that would naturally grow there.

Aragorn let the news sink in, "Is she in pain?"

"Nay, not too much. I have given her some herbs and tea in order to relax her for sleep in her best ally."

Another word was not spoken as Aragorn made to enter their room, but was stopped by Gandalf.

"No, Aragorn. If you sit with her, you would not be able to comfort her in her slumber and more than likely you too would succumb to its evil." Even though he wished more than anything to sit by his wife, he would be of no use to Gondor if he were to be infected. If the worse case were to happen, they had also conceived no heirs as of yet to rule the kingdom if he were to die.




Slowly, they made their way to the King's study. The room was magnificent with multiple bookshelves filled with both human and elven lore of old. Couches are chairs were all around, perfect for reading with their padded arms and lovely texture. Collapsing into one of them, Aragorn felt the desperation of his situation sink in.

"There must be something we can do, Gandalf." Aragorn could barely find the strength to raise his eyes to make contact with his friend. Pacing around the room, the Wizard tried to think of something to say to bring comfort to his friend.

Among the books, Gandalf tried to find the words. "Aragorn, she is strong and there might yet be a way for her to find a way to overcome this evil. Man of all the lands are also looking, there might be a chance...." Gandalf's words trailed off, leaving his thought unfinished.

"Gandalf?" Aragorn found the strength to rise from his chair and wander to where the Wizard was standing, seemingly stopped in his tracks like a great stone statue.

"There might be a way."

Aragorn followed Gandalf's eyes until he met with what had captivated the Wizard's sight and mind.

An ancient book among ancient books, dusty on the old shelves.

Elven Medicinal Spells written by none other than the most powerful of all elven healers, Aragorn's foster father when he had been called Estel, Lord Elrond.




For hours, the Wizard sat with the books, combing over the ancient wording and deciphering the Quenya. The King of Gondor, after once more pacing a track around the room, left to fulfill some duties which required the King's attention, leaving the Wizard thankfully alone. He did not think he could stand the hovering any longer from the man.

Nothing seemed appropriate, for all the spells used the Elf's inane ability to heal as part of the spell. Every Elf has the power to heal faster and more completely than any mortal and it all traces back to their immortality and their own magical essence.

Arwen, having forsaken her immortality to be with Aragorn, no longer possessed her immortality and all the magic belonging to that state. This is why she was able to catch this disease in the first place and why this book was useless.

Shouting out in dismay, Gandalf threw the book towards the wall, where it bounced off and fell open. Sighing in frustrating, he rose to retrieve it, hoping something may come to his attention he had missed in his glance. Arriving the where the book lie, he bent over to pick it up when he noticed something. The old Wizard could have kicked himself for having overseen this before. Picking the book up, he read the spell with great interest.




Sitting in the throne room, Aragorn tried desperately to pay attention to whatever it was the counsel member was trying to ask of him. Thoughts always wondered back to his love, and his hopes to the Wizard in his study.

Suddenly, the door opened and Gandalf came bursting through, not paying attention to the startled gasps from those in attendance.

"Aragorn! I believe I have found something."

Directing his attention to the others in the hall, Aragorn ordered them all out so he and Gandalf could speak uninterrupted.

"What have you found, my friend?"

"Something that escaped my eye the first time I searched through this book, but is now so clear to me that I can't believe I overlooked it."

Aragorn was shaking with excitement, "What is it?"

"The reason that Arwen was infected is because she no longer contains the power of the elves, correct?"

"Yes, yes, this I did know before!"

"Wait, there's more. She is still an elf, physically she still is. Therefore, technically this spell should work on her, just as it would for the soul it was originally intended for."

"I don't understand."

They sat down at a table in the hall with the book as Gandalf explained, "There is a spell in here intended to help a Elf who was attacked by a magic-user, a mage. In the times this book was written a Mage was not very uncommon, now they practically don't exist. One thing a mage could do is strip an Elf of their abilities for a while, leaving them vulnerable to injury and to disease."

The last word made Aragorn look up with interest. "Please, finish your point and tell me how this can help Arwen."

"Patience, Aragorn. If this were to happen and the weakened Elf did sustain something threatening to their life, this spell would give the ability for a healthy Elf to transfer their healing ability to another long enough for either their hurt to be mended, or for them to regain their own ability to recover. This spell might still work on Arwen and if we could find an Elf willing to do this, she could recover from the disease."

Rising up, Aragorn thought over the situation, "But Gandalf, all of my adopted kin in Rivendell have sailed for the West."

"There is someone, Aragorn."
Chapter end notes: Aa' menle nauva calen ar' ta hwesta e' ale'quenle. May thy paths be green and the breeze on thy back.