The Whispering of the Willow Trees by Elvensong

Eternity had never seemed so short, immortality so far and that questionable fate that awaited all beings with life so close.

Arwen felt so helpless and so tired, never in all her long life had she ever felt this way. Sitting alone, she could not have, nor wished for, any visitors for she did not wish anyone to have to suffer what she was inflicted with. The knowledge of the fate of all who had, so far, had this disease would not leave her mind for one second. Even all the thoughts of her beloved Aragorn, her father and her twin bothers did not give her any comfort from the cold truth.

Only the singing of the morning birds brought her soul a moment's quiet peace.

Her end was near and there was naught she could do to stop it, no one could save her now.




Gandalf's pipe had seen more smoking time this night than any other. Going over options, the Wizard could think of none other. The constant and irritating pacing of his company was making him quite dizzy by this point.

"How can we ask that of him? He has his own problems to deal with, his lands are constantly being attacked and threatened by the shadow. It's ever encroaching upon him and his people and will not relent. We would ask him to come here and surrender his ability to Arwen while his people suffer?"

"Only for a short time, Aragorn. Besides, you know Legolas, he is both a dear friend to you and to Arwen and if he knew what despair the both of you were in he would not allow you to stop him." Gandalf could not believe that Aragorn was even considering not asking the elf prince, but desperate circumstances often bring things into new perspective.

"I care for him like a brother. What if something goes wrong and I lose them both? There are so few of their kind left anymore." Aragorn couldn't find it in him to continue. Thoughts strayed to his foster father, Arwen's father. 'If only he were here', the King mused, 'he would know what to do, he could save her. Without him, we are so lost.'

Gandalf did not say a word while Aragorn finally stood still, deep in thought, for he knew none would be needed.

"We can ask him, we can see what his response would be." Aragorn relented. 'I know what his response would be', Aragorn then thought to himself, 'he would be insulted we waited this long to seek him out.'




Eryn Lasgalen was not as it ever had been. Once called Greenwood, then to be called Mirkwood, it was a constantly changing land never knowing a moment's peace. The Elves who remained and dwelt there found terror constantly at their footsteps and for the younger elves, they had never known a life without threat, battles and war.

Legolas, son of Thranduil, son of Oropher, sat in his small study looking over maps of the southern border, his charge. His plans were to lead a group of elves to Ithilien, however he had to be sure that the path was safe enough for them to travel there and have time to build secure structures without fear of attack. If they were to be attacked before their new home was settled, they would quickly find themselves out in the open with no stronghold to keep the enemy back.

Stretching from his chair, his rose in order to allow his long limbs to flex after sitting idle for all afternoon. The Elf did not enjoy being so contained, but unfortunately, he couldn't live all his life out in the wilds. Duties of the life he was born into would always follow him and he would need to see to those who looked to him for leadership now.

A flash of color outside the window caught the Elf's eye. It was a rider approaching, bearing the flag of Gondor.

'Odd,' Legolas thought to himself, 'Aragorn and I just saw each not too many moons ago. Why would he need to send a messenger here?' His attention no longer with the maps, he made his way down to the front staircase of the stony palace to find what news has been brought.

"Message from Gandalf the White and King Elessar of Gondor to Legolas of the Woodland Realm."

The rider looked exhausted, as if he had not taken one break between the two lands.

"My gratitude, Representative of Gondor. Please, allow us to see to your needs and to your mount. My reply shall to forthcoming."

"Thank you, Sir." The man walked slowly off into the court where food and rink always lay out for anyone who might be in need of it.




Still standing in the entrance, Legolas opened the note and read it. There were no choices and no doubt slipped into his mind of what he must do.

He ran for the stables.