The Whispering of the Willow Trees by Elvensong

'What if he does not come? But, what if he does?' Aragorn tried to take in his beloved wife's beautiful gardens, hoping to find a moment's peace there. Yet, the blooming roses brought no comfort. Arwen fought bravely, and was not as worse as a human would be at this point, but her suffering was still present and her pain very real. They had waited for news from Mirkwood, news of the reply from his friend.

Powers belonging to the Elves still remained often elusive to Elessar, though he had been raised in the Last Homely House of Elrond. Often he would watch his foster father employ the magic of elven rituals, including their powerful spells of healing. Learning as much as he could, he still knew little and cursed himself for only being a mere mortal. If he had been an Elf, he could have learned more, but if he had been an Elf, none of this would have happened in the first place.

'What would happen if I screamed right now?' Almost cracking a smile for the first time in many moons, he finally returned to the gates of his palace in Gondor.

In between the giant stone pillars of the entrance sat some guards, absently milling about and speaking about the new barmaid in the tavern on the west end of town.

With nothing else to keep his attention, Aragorn focused his gaze to the horizon and the red and orange sunset shining through the main gate. The colors were magnificent and for one moment, Aragorn did find that peace he was desperately looking for.

As the colors faded into the darkening sky, a figure began to form coming quickly over the horizon. Squinting, it wasn't long before he was able to make out the smooth and graceful movements of an Elf.

Legolas.

Running down the front steps, he reached his friend in front of the entrance. Smiling shallowly, Aragorn was reminded of moments from their long history and words once spoken were repeated.

"You're late." Aragorn spoke with a hushed tone and Legolas smiled in return, embracing his friend.

As they walked inside, the Elf prince spoke, "Forgive me, but at least I had good sense to avoid any dangerous rivers along my path." Somehow his friend's presence relaxed the man, even if the events of their meeting were stresses beyond belief.


Entering the halls, Aragorn first looked to see to Legolas' comfort, offering him something to refresh himself. Taking only a bit of wine, for he had a taste for it as all of Thranduil's realm tended to, he did not embrace too many pleasantries but sought to find out how he could help and the reasons his presence was so badly needed.

Looking up, Legolas met Aragon's eyes, "It pains me when I read the letter you sent. How does the Lady Arwen fair?"

"She is holding her own for the moment, it is only a question of when that hold will begin to slip, though."

Nodding, the Elf once more wanted answers, "I came as quickly as I could, for you said there might be a way of my helping. Please tell me what I can do."

"You can do for her more than anyone else, Legolas." The pair spun to see Gandalf standing in the doorway. Despite his elderly and rustic appearance, the Wizard always had the uncanny knack of appearing out of nowhere just when he was needed. In his hand was the Elven book that contained all the answers they were seeking.




Long hours passed as Gandalf told Legolas about the spell he had found. He told him about the way the spell would help Arwen and the way it would hinder him.

"If it will aid her, then we must try."

'This Little One is still as stubborn as he was when he was but a child.' Gandalf thought, then spoke aloud, "Remember, you will be weakened by this, but it may not show unless something happens to you."

Aragorn look to his friend, the worry and stress obviously wearing him down. What if he lost them both? Could he bear to go on knowing the circumstances that brought them both down?

Legolas had already made his choice, his face set in determination, "I will be fine. I am not needed in my homeland. The last battles have driven our enemies far from our borders and my father is a great military leader. I am certain he will fare well without me for a short time."

"So be it, Prince." Gandalf began to concentrate on the complex casting the spell would require while Aragorn marched up to his friend.

"You're sure?"

"Of course, do not worry yourself more so else you may drive yourself even more insane. Not only do I do this for you, but also for Arwen. You forget, I've known and been close to her for many ages, longer than you're brief visit to this world. I cannot sit by and do nothing while she suffers if there is a way to save her." Legolas folded his arms, a signal that the conversation was ended.




Time slowly passed as Gandalf finished studying the spell and gathered all the essential items needed for its casting. The unfortunate news for Aragorn was that he could not be present when the spell was performed. Legolas needed to be in contact with Arwen and Aragorn could not go near her for fear of joining her in her predicament. This created even more pressure upon the young king as he paced furiously outside the royal bedroom where the events that would shape Arwen's fate were being cast to the fates.