The Whispering of the Willow Trees by Elvensong

Arwen's mind was a blur of different images. Before her was Legolas, one of her closest and dearest friends. He was here for a reason, but her fever kept her from remembering why. She took comfort merely in his presence.

Gandalf the White was also with her, the three of them were together not one of them making a sound in the beautiful room of stone floors beneath them and cloth tapestries adorning the walls. The chill in the air gave the room an odd feel and even Legolas, an Elf, was affected by its numbing quality.

He did not fear what he was going to do. He could not stand by and watch the two closest people be brought down when he could do something. He was strong, he could save her and not give in himself. His friends would both live and be even closer to each other than they were before.

What was most on the Woodland Elf's mind was Arwen's bravery. How her beauty was unaffected by this terrible affliction. She remained, as ever, the Evenstar, eternal and unfading. She would remain by Aragorn's side in the far future.

"Legolas?" Snapped out of his thoughts by Gandalf, Legolas acknowledged the Wizard's call with a nod and prepared himself for what was to come. His could only hope that the Valar were looking down upon him with favor as he tried to save his friends from despair.




The night grew cold as Aragorn watched the stars blaze and the moon forge a path across the night sky. There was nothing more he could do. He had tried everything he could, now it was all up to the fates to forge what would happen next.

Footsteps were heard, slowly approaching the open fields behind the noble castle of Gondor. Sitting up, Aragorn saw Gandalf approach.

"Peace, Aragorn. All is well."

"How did it go? How do they fare?"

"Legolas is in his room sleeping. The spell took much out of him and I doubt he'll have much strength until this ordeal is over." The King's eyes told the Wizard that there was more that needed to be said. "It is too soon to know if this had helped the Lady. We must wait now. Time will decide her fate."

Aragorn broke eye contact with the Wizard, once more peering at the stars above, the cherished light that had created the Elves and the light to which they always looked to in times of hardship and of joy.

"You may visit him. He might welcome the company." Gandalf smiled slightly as the man turned quickly to look at him, to make sure he had not heard those words on the wind, for he willed above all to see if his friend truly did sleep comfortably.




Trying not to wake the sleeping Elf, Aragorn opened the door slowly to his room. After giving his eyes a moment to adjust he could make out his friend's figure lying on the bed. With careful steps, he approached and saw that Legolas was indeed asleep, on his back with his eyes closed. Alarmed by this unexpected affect of the spell, Aragorn almost ran for Gandalf when the Elf took in a deep breath and began to stir.

Hazy eyes met the man's and a slight smile crossed Legolas' face.

"I am glad to see you, my friend." Sitting up slowly, he took in the man's shocked expression at seeing him awake. He may have been weakened, however his keen elven senses were still as sharp as they ever were.

Returning the smile, the man sat on the edge of the bed, "I am also glad to see you. How do you feel? I was concerned to see you sleeping with closed eyes."

"It is not uncommon for an Elf to do so when a sleeping spell is cast upon one by a certain mischievous Wizard when one's guard is down."

Aragorn resisted the temptation to laugh at his friend's comment and obvious grudging over what their friend had done. "I do hope you feel well again soon. Something tells me that you might have some revenge planned out for that certain someone."

Legolas' eyes twinkled with delight, "Come now, one would think me a mere elfling not even having earned warrior braids yet."

The two held a glare at each until it was broken by laughter filling the room. After a few moments, it was contained and Aragorn broke the following silence.

"How are you really?"

"Honestly, Aragorn, other than being slightly tired I feel nothing. Hopefully, it is Arwen who is feeling the affects and is finally going to beat this so you can go back top your normal self and not this insane person that has taken your form."




Days passed and Arwen did begin to feel better. Legolas slept every night and would often be caught napping in the sunlight, but insisted that everything was fine.

Gandalf smiled at the progress Arwen was making, but was concerned that it would take her longer to recover than he originally thought, but seeing how well Legolas was doing in his condition, this problem did not worry him much.

In the afternoon of the fifth day, Aragorn sat with his friend in the gardens overlooking the entrance to the palace. A chessboard sat in between them.

"Come Legolas, you may be immortal, but even elves do not take this long to make their move."

"My father and the general of his army have a game going that has lasted five hundred years. I must say my father was in a little bit of trouble in the first hundred years, but in the last twenty years has managed a turn around and has his opponent on the run."

Smiling, Aragorn sat and waited for the move. While doing so, he took in the beautiful day and the rolling hills of his land. Everything was fresh and green and the air had the sweet smell of life in it.

Riders were approaching. This was not uncommon for the palace of the land of Gondor and the King watched them come ever closer. He recognized their banners as they cleared the fields and rode towards the entrance without delay. The Elf made his move and lifted his eyes only to notice the distraction in his comrade. Following Aragorn's gaze he looked upon the party.

They bore the banners of Eryn Lasgalen.