Green and Silver Leaves by Chaotic Binky

 

 

 

Haldir and Legolas left the ball and proceeded through the forest towards the Barking Pig Tavern, but first Haldir suggested they change from their best clothes into less formal wear.

 

On the way, Legolas asked if Galadriel and Celeborn always crept up on other elves the way they did to him.

 

"We are used to it," Haldir replied. "Yours or mine first? Our Lady ordered that I am to stay with you until the day is over."

 

"I am sure I can look after myself."

 

"I am your bodyguard, so I cannot leave you until you retire for the night."

 

"How irritating."

 

"The feeling is mutual. I arrived home after a six month patrol yesterday and did not expect to be doing anything except having a few lie ins and hanging around with my younger brothers."

 

"Sorry to spoil your time off," Legolas sniffed.

 

"So, that is why I was drunk last night. I have been without the contact of anyone but my small group of warriors for months on end. I was looking forward to letting my hair down and now I cannot. I have to stay formal. I lose nothing in telling you this, and I expect you did not care to be on an official visit when you could be spending your time in a more productive way."

 

"It's true. I did not want to come here. My father should have been the one to visit at such a delicate time, but an itinerant cow sat on him while he was meditating, so his injuries meant that I had to come instead."

 

"Well, we have both lost something because of circumstances beyond our control. Let's try and make our time together as pleasant as we can."

 

"All right." Legolas grinned. "Although, if you throw a cake at me again I really will pummel you."

 

"If you can." Haldir grinned back. "Come, we need to get changed. Let's go to mine first."

 

Legolas entered Haldir's flet. Looking around, he could see a vase of fresh daisies sitting on a table next to a side window. Nearby was a small sofa covered with a large woven blanket that nearly touched the floor.

 

Haldir saw the daisies. "My mother must have dropped by. I wonder if she has done my washing."

 

"Your mother does your washing? Why don't you do it?" Legolas looked over the other side of the large room and saw Haldir's bed. He wondered if he had made it himself. A teddy bear's head rested on the pillow, its body under the blankets. Legolas wondered if Haldir really did cuddle it at night.

 

"I don't know how to wash clothes but my mother does." Haldir looked around and saw no sack of clothing. He went to the wardrobe, opened the door and grinned. "Nana has put everything away."

 

"All warriors know how to wash their clothes in Mirkwood," Legolas said, not trying hide his smug tone. "It's the law. Everyone has to be self sufficient. I can sew cloth and knit as well. I can even cook."

 

"Good for you," Haldir thought, wondering when he had time to defend the realm if he spent so much time doing handicrafts. He turned to Legolas and lied through his teeth. "I wish we learned crafts here. I should think they are extremely useful."

 

"They are," Legolas said happily as he sat on the sofa. "I wove a blanket last year and I made a sun hat out of straw. This year I made a replacement pair of leather boots for myself; the soles on the old ones had been replaced too many times."

 

It was too much for Haldir. He couldn't resist. "Well that's wonderful. Did you make your weapons as well?"

 

"No I am not that skilled, although I will be learning how to make blades in a couple of years’ time. I made my own metal cup and plate. When we go to my flet I can show you if you like."

 

Haldir wondered why he even bothered with his sarcasm. Legolas had shown no hint of recognising what he said as such. "Yes, I would like that very much." He smiled, wondering if there was punishment in the Halls for consummate liars, before disappearing into the bathroom to change into a plain cotton shirt, beautifully ironed by his mother, and a pair of watered silk leggings, which he tucked into a pair of black leather boots. He quickly removed the ties from his hair and brushed it through before taking his uniform back into the room and hanging it in the wardrobe.

 

To all appearances Legolas was looking out of the window, but he noticed straightaway when Haldir glided back into the room.

 

"Ah, he is watching me." Haldir allowed himself a private smile. He walked to the door.

 

Legolas looked up, as if he had not been taking notice, and asked if he was ready.

 

"I am as ready as I will ever be."

 

"Right, let's go."

 

They descended the stairs down the tree and walked across the clearing to make their way to Legolas' flet. The front door was still covered in the remains of cake, although the local birds had eaten most of the larger bits. Haldir gave an embarrassed grin, while Legolas merely passed through the door.

 

Legolas' flet was more or less the same as Haldir's except that the furnishings were more luxurious and the walls were decorated with paintings and pastoral scenes. Haldir sighed, he worked hard for the realm and lived in a central flet, but he could never afford luxury like this. Beside the bed sat a plain mug made of a dull, silvery metal. Haldir picked it up and turned it over. 'Made by Legolas, Prince of Mirkwood' was carved awkwardly on the base; no doubt engraving skills would be learned later.

 

Legolas had disappeared into the bathroom to change. Haldir, being suddenly possessed by the spirit of naughtiness, shouted to him that no one would think the inside of his flet was so nice when they saw the cake covered door.

 

Legolas emerged wearing a white shirt, green leggings and brown boots. Every single muscle was defined under the thin material; Haldir's eyes nearly popped out of his head.

 

"You look fantastic!"

 

Legolas moved a tad too close. "Yes, I know." He smiled, a slight movement of the lips, making them appear fuller, and leaned forward slightly. Haldir wanted to kiss him but drew back, not wanting to breach any protocols or possibly offend. Legolas smirked and walked to the door. "Come along. It's tavern time."