Courting Death by Carhuine Malthenel

Legolas shoook his head in disbelief. How could they choose? Who should decide? His friend or one of his bond mates? He turned to Aragorn, tears running down his face. Aragorn saw the indecision in his lovers eyes, saw the tears running down his face. He turned to Gandalf.

"I cannot make such a decision. Save whichever one you think will live. Save one of them. Saes," Aragorn said lapsing into his first tongue.

Gandalf nodded and turned to Rumil and he began his work. Legolas shook his head violently at Gandalf's choice. He quickly turned on his heel and ran out into the night. Aragorn's cries echoing behind him. He ran out onto the battlements and froze at the sight. Hundreds of thousands of bodies lay under the bright light of Ithil. He gasped at the sight of his comrades dead, his friends bodies cold and unmoving. In all his long life he had never faced such carnage before. Elves were immortal! They were not meant to die in such a manner then discarded and forgotten. He could see Eomer's men seperating the bodies. The Orc and Uruk were tossed into a heap to be burned, the men and elves laid out reverently. Legolas stumbled away into the night, running for the keep. He ran up the stairs and into a small tower balcony. He knelt on the floor staring out over the battlefield. Dispair was once again his constant companion. Without hesitation or regret he yanked out his dagger. He bared his right arm before he slashed and slashed his arm. He sobbed uncontrollably as he did this. This was his pain, his pleasure, his constant companion, and his life. But not his love. Haldir would die but he would stay for Aragorn untill Aragorn passed. Then he would die of a broken heart. Gandalf had chosen Rumil's life over Haldir's and Legolas knew he could forgive Rumil but never Gandalf. He switched the dagger to the other hand and slashed and slashed at his left arm. Soon the bright, crimson blood was racing down his arms and onto the stone floor. He bent over and cried his broken heart onto the ground.




Eomer watched his men clean up the carnage from the battle. He said a quick prayer to the Valar that all the fallen men and elves would at last know peace. He saw a golden light at the corner of his eye. Turning he saw the elf Legolas standing and staring at the aftereffects of battle. He saw wild and untamed grief and dispair in those pale blue eyes. So much that it worried him when Legolas ran bacck into the keep. Eomer followed him slowly, giving the elf time to himself. His pace quickened when he heard crying. Crying filled with dispair and hoplessness. He turned and saw Legolas bent over his knees sobbing uncontrollably. Eomer moved over till he was in front of the elf and he pulld him into an embrace. Legolas unconsiouly leaned into the embrace, forgetting about his cut arms. He heard Eomer gasp and pull away. Legolas suddenly remembered the cuts and he tried to get away. Eomer held onto Legolas preventing his escape. He had seen the violent cuts and wondered who had hurt the elf. Then he saw the elvish dagger on the ground and he swore softly.

"Legolas! What hapened!" Eomer said as he took Legolas's chin in his grip, forcing the elf to look into his eyes.

"Nothing!" Legolas said as he tried to squirm free.

"Like hell. Why did you do this? Why?" Eomer asked as he tore his outer tunic and bandaged Legolas's arms.

"Because it makes me forget the pain! Makes me feel do ALIVE! My lover is dying on a table in YOUR great hall and you ask why I do this?" Legolas shouted angrily at the horseman.

Eomer's heart broke at the imapassioned, tearful voice. "Aragorn is dying?"

"Nay. Me and Aragorn bonded to another elf. His name is...was Haldir. He was captain of the elves tonight. Him and his brother, Rumil, were wounded so bad human healers cannot help them. Gandalf can only save one and he chose Rumil." Legolas made another attempet to get away from Eomer.

Legolas could hear footsteps approaching them in the tower. Eomer heard them also and he stood to face whomever it was.

"Elf are ya up here?" came Gimli's rough voice.

Legolas's eyes widened at the thought of Gimli finding him like this! But before he could awnser the dwarf turned the corner and spied them. Gimli's eyes narrowed when he saw blood on the floor, and Eomer keeping Legolas from fleeing. Then he saw the knife.

"Legolas! Tell me ya dinna cut yerself again?" Gimli said coming forward and looking into the elfs eyes.

"Aye he did. Does he do this often?" Eomer asked the dwarf.

"Aye. Thought he quit doing it though. Legolas Aragorn wants to see you." Gimli said taking Legolas's hand in his.

Legolas and Eomer stood and followed the dwarf back into the main hall. Legolas stared at the sight before him. A blonde elf leaned over Haldi's prone form, healing him. While Gandalf helped Rumil. The elf looked so familiar to him. Aragorn turned and smiled when he saw Legolas, but the smile quickly disappeared when he saw the bandaged arms.

"Legolas! Oh Valar what did you do?" Aragorn said as he embraced his lover.

Legolas shook as tears fell down his face. "I'm so sorry Aragorn. Please forgive me." he whispered as he buried his face in Argorn's neck.

"Shhhhhh. It's alright." Aragorn said as he rubbed Legolas's back in a comforting manner.

"Who is that helping Haldir?"

"Glorfindel."

Legolas stared at Aragorn incredulously. "He came from Imladris to help them humans?"

"Aye. He heard about our bonding and Galadriel told him somethg bad would happen to Haldir. SO he came along. He knows alot about healing as Lord Elrond has showed him."

Legolas nodded and stared at the blonde elda's back as he worked on his other lover. Finally after what seemed like an eternity Gandalf smiled and had Rumil moved to bed. He would be ok, sore but he would live to go home to Thranduil. Glorfindel straightened and smiled slightly at Legolas and Aragorn, his brow furrowing at Legolas's bloodstained arms. Galadriel told him about the prince's cutting bu the didn't belive it...till now.

"He should be ok. We need to move to a more comfortable place." Glorfindel said staring at the prince.

Aragorn nodded and gathered Haldir up into his arms, while Glorfindel took Legolas aside.

"Legolas tell me what has happened to make you do that." Glorfindel said pointing at the elf's cuts.
Chapter end notes: A/N: Saes: Please. Ithil: moon.